2 tuners, 1 cable

legau

Vu+ Newbie
Hello all,

I have 2 cables from my dish : one for the 1st floor, second one for the 2d floor (fixed in the walls and burried in the garden). I have a DM800 and a VU+ duo2 with a single tuner (i know it may sound stupid but this is not the point).

I am now hesitating to buy another tuner for the VU to be able to record and watch at the same time from different transponders.

It is impossible to have a 3d cable for several reasons but mainly because of the distance between the dish and the house. (this is not the point neither).

My question is :

With only one cable and 2 tuners, how would you configure your box ? I understand the limitation with one cable and one tuner, but with 1 cable & 2 tuners, it is not obvious to me, especially because I have a double LNB for Astra and Hotbird : so I guess I won't be able to watch from the other sat when recording or watching ?

Would you buy another tuner or is it useless according to you ?

Thanks for suggestions

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
It's not useless, in your situation with a second tuner you could get at the same time other sat channels that use the same satellite, same band and same polarization as the first tuner is pointing to.
For 2/+ tuners completely independent, if only 1 cable is to be used, you have to change your sat installation to a Unicable distribution system, but to keep a dual feed system the Unicable solution is not very simple.

legau

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for your reply Eragon. I didn't know unicable distribution system but as you said, I have to review my entire installation in that case. Indeed, the dish is located in the garden, about 20m from the house and, if i am right and understand correctly the principle of unicable, the unicom switch has to be placed near the dish ... (or we have to change 20m of "burried" cables, which... I don't :) )

I think I will give a try to the second tuner (only 50€) with a single cable.

Thanks again for your explaination.

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
For a Unicable system with dual feed and with 2 separate output cables the solution is:
2 Quattro LNBs (1 Hotbird and 1 Astra)
2 Unicable 8/1 multiswiches (cascading)
In this way you get 2 Unicable output cables that supports each one up to 8 independent tuners.

All these devices are rated for outdoor use so they can be placed just near the antenna.

Last edited: