Big PiP issue only with the last OBH updates

AlexWilMac

I thought the fact I couldn't set the "Big PiP" in full screen was due to an earlier use of the plugin Audiopip, although I removed it.
I thought so because in another copy of OBH installed in multiboot as 4.1.023, where that plugin had never been installed, the big PiP mode worked as it should. But then I updated this OMB installation, and now its behaviour of Big PiP is the same as in my main OBH in flash: it appears in the top left corner, almost 1/4 of the full screen, and it's not possible neither to resize it nor to move. So it's basically the same of the standard PiP mode but impossible to resize.
I hope coders will fix this because the use of audio from a channel different from the one we are watching is now not possible at all: this is due to the fact that Audiopip 0.3 does not work any longer under OBH 4.1.030 and big PiP does not work properly.

AlexWilMac

I'm on a Solo4K. I can try a new install in OMB, in case, but the one which was perfect until the .23 changed after the update to .30
But I'll try again asap.

Ev0

Admin
Well in that case, I suspect it's a driver issue.

If it was a coding issue, then the problem would be the same on all boxes.

AlexWilMac

OK, I've just tried. Installed OBH 4.1.018 for Solo4K: big PiP perfectly worked. No plugins installed, obviously.
Then updated online to 4.1.030 and... voilà: the "big" PiP is small and on the top-left corner.
Maybe it's only a Solo4K problem?

AlexWilMac

I had the chance of testing it also on a Duo2 (and 4.1.030, of course) and there it works flawlessly. So, at the moment, it seems a problem affecting only Solo4K.
If anyone else on Solo4K can give us a feedback it would be interesting.
And also the owners of the other model not mentioned so far might report if Big PiP works on the last OBH update.

AlexWilMac

Just out of curiosity: what driver is involved? I'm used to think to drivers in my field (IT), where they are software components that manage hw components, like video drivers, sound drivers, LAN drivers and so on.
Here I believed it was just a matter of correctly set the windows size at full screen.
Only a curiosity, though ;)

AlexWilMac

Hi @Ev0, as the bug (only for Solo4K) it's still in 4.2.002 and you say it's due to VU+ drivers, I wonder if there is a file I can pick from the 4.1.022 to replace the current one, in case it's not something in the kernel itself.

Ev0

Admin
Hi @Ev0, as the bug (only for Solo4K) it's still in 4.2.002 and you say it's due to VU+ drivers, I wonder if there is a file I can pick from the 4.1.022 to replace the current one, in case it's not something in the kernel itself.
You could try copying the drivers from 4.1 to 4.2 but you might break other things in the image doing this.

AlexWilMac

Well, in case, I have daily automatic Full Backups ;) so I'd be able to restore everything in 5 minutes. But, how copy these drivers from 4.1? Are they in distinct files or are they built in the kernel?

el bandido

Vu+ User
I think the drivers discussed here are located at: /lib/modules/3.14.28-1.8/extra/
It might be a good idea to check the latest OpenATV image because they are built daily and usually have the latest OE Alliance updates. If your problem does not exist in the latest OpenATV build, then it will likely be fixed in a future update of OBH.

AlexWilMac

Hello, I had forgot about el bandido's message and your suggestion but now I finally installed Openatv in OMB but it doesn't start. All the same, I'm able to get into its folder you wrote, /lib/modules/3.14.28-1.8/extra, where there are some files.

I can see that their dimensions are exactly the same than the OBH ones, but, doing a byte per byte comparing, I found some differences.
So, even if I'm not able to launch openatv, I copied the openatv files and I replaced the same in OBH. The Big PiP issue is not solved.
So, we have two possibilities (as I don't want to install openatv in flash):
1) the lib/modules/3.14.28-1.8/extra files are not the responsible for the Big PiP behaviour; or
2) they are but they are identical, so also openatv is affected by the same bug.

Meanwhile, I have a little bit more reports from users. The updated list is:

Does not work on:
Solo4K
Uno4K

Works on:
Ultimo4K
Duo2
Solo2

If other people want to report, I remember that the Big PiP mode can be chosen, after having activated PiP, by long pressing BLUE, then GREEN and then you change mode by 0 (zero).
If Big PiP works, it is displayed in full screen. If it doesn't work, it is displayed as a quarter of the screen at the top left corner.
I'd appreciate if other user would report about different VU+ models.

AlexWilMac

Please:
1) ONLY English
2) Uno4K was already reported: no need to make this thread too crowded by the info we already have.
Thanks.