A Word About 3TB HDDs

Infiltrator

Vu+ Newbie
Just to let you know that I formatted and partitioned my 3TB Western Digital Caviar HDD to 2 x 1.5 TB with the EXT4 file structure, and although my Ultimo running 2.0.2 Rev. A recognizes the disc as 3TB, it still states that only 801.569 GB is available space.

raikol

Vu+ Newbie
i think you need to use another kernel ..... openpli is said to get it working with this in kernel CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y and i dont know how the kernel of bh is compiled

Infiltrator

Vu+ Newbie
We have already CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y

install parted:
1) upload this package in temp
2) from telnet digit command opkg install /tmp/parted_3.1-r0_mips32el.ipk

Follow tutorial in this page:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/fdisk-unable-to-create-partition-greater-2tb.html

let me know.

Whooaa.... I'm not familiar with Telnet. I installed the Telnet client in W7 ran the command: 'o 192.168.0.3' (my Ultimo's IP) but when I tried to input my login details i.e root and dreambox I only got as far as typing root and it gave my the directory of root@ultimo:~#

Not knowing what I was doing I installed it via BH and the plugin confirmed to install itself to the root. I'm a little confused because I've already partitioned the drive with MPT and EXT... Is that plugin a small Linux programme that's able to perform the partioning etc. within BH?

Infiltrator

Vu+ Newbie
Whooaa.... I'm not familiar with Telnet. I installed the Telnet client in W7 ran the command: 'o 192.168.0.3' (my Ultimo's IP) but when I tried to input my login details i.e root and dreambox I only got as far as typing root and it gave my the directory of root@ultimo:~#

Not knowing what I was doing I installed it via BH and the plugin confirmed to install itself to the root. I'm a little confused because I've already partitioned the drive with MPT and EXT... Is that plugin a small Linux programme that's able to perform the partioning etc. within BH?

*** update ***

OK, not to be intimidated by Telnet I've persevered and it seems I don't need to login as at the current prompt root@ultimo:~# allows me to perform commands.

Infiltrator

Vu+ Newbie
Used command fdisk and got the following message:

device has more than 2^32 sector, can't use all of them

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 267349.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
(e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help):

Just so I understand, there seems to me that there's no problem with the kernel, but I need to partition the disk within Linux itself for it to be recognized. Am I correct?

Shiro

BH-C
you have not to use fdisk.
use parted.

i explained before. install it and follow the tutorial.

Infiltrator

Vu+ Newbie
When creating a MKLabel I had this error come up, and I backed out by closing Parted. Now I cannot see my USB storage or my HDD in the Device Manager. I cannot Telnet to the box either :(

Any suggestions??

Warning: /dev/sda contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a GPT table.
However, it does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it should.
Perhaps it was corrupted -- possibly by a program that doesn't understand GPT
partition tables. Or perhaps you deleted the GPT table, and are now using an
msdos partitiontable. Is this a GPT partition table? yes/no?

Shiro

BH-C
i hope you have not partiotioned your usb storage.
Before to use parted you have to be sure that you are pointing to the right device and that is umounted.
For this reason you have to check th commands mount and df -h

Infiltrator

Vu+ Newbie
Seems that way... I've just inserted the USB into my PC and although it recognizes it being connected I cannot read it

Shiro

BH-C
if you cannot boot your box unplug the usb and post here the output of the commands:

mounts
df -h
cat /etc/fstab

Infiltrator

Vu+ Newbie
The box boots, I just cannot see either the HDD or USB, neither can I Telnet to it.

The HDD disk panel sees the HDD is there but states that it's not mounted, although I cannot see it there in the device manager to mount it :/

Shiro

BH-C
telnet have nothing to do with this it have to work.
Unplug usb boot again and check network setup

if you are using an application for telnet close it and rerun.

Shiro

BH-C
if you have connected only the hdd and if it is internal it will be /dev/sda
if you have an usb too it will be /dev/sdb

To recover your usb you can try to use fdisk /dev/sdb

Infiltrator

Vu+ Newbie
OK, removed USB rebooted and everything is good again, except I've got a USB stick that doesn't read it neither the box or Windows, and a HDD that's recognized as being there but cannot be mounted.

I've got Telnet connection again which is good.

Infiltrator

Vu+ Newbie
if you have connected only the hdd and if it is internal it will be /dev/sda
if you have an usb too it will be /dev/sdb

To recover your usb you can try to use fdisk /dev/sdb

Well I can tell you that it must have been the USB that I attempted to MKLabelled at it was /dev/sdb that I was applying it to, and now I've removed the stick Parted is defaulting to /dev/sda