A Word About 3TB HDDs

Shiro

BH-C
Many thanks Shiro, everything's all working fine now and BH recognizes the full 3TB are available space. It's been an experience and steep learning curve.
Again, thank you for your help and support as I'm sure I wouldn't been able to do this without your help.
Cheers Ian ;)

Thanks Ian.
I haven't a 3 TB hdd so i can not be sure until today that it is working in Bh image.
I know only the theory.
With your help now we know that it works.

I will include parted in Black Hole image.

Infiltrator

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks Ian.
I haven't a 3 TB hdd so i can not be sure until today that it is working in Bh image.
I know only the theory.
With your help now we know that it works.

I will include parted in Black Hole image.

It would be good. Maybe disable the Initialization when Parted has been used, as I found it did corrupt the partition table after I mistakenly initialized the HDD. Because it was corrupted the 'rm' command would allow me to removed the partition, and my only solution was to use the MKlabel command to overwrite the existing GPT whilst also removing the partition.

mirkoslav

Vu+ Newbie
Shiro, I was reading through these 3 pages and I'm not sure I have courage to enter this adventure. I got 3TB Toshiba USB disk to use with my Solo2, so question is are there any straight forward instructions how to do it? I guess this question will show up more and more, as disks over 2TB are becoming quite common.
I have BH 2.0.5 B on Solo2, is now parted included or needs to be installed separately? Once partitioned should it be formatted with Ext4? And as a side question, how long would take for formatting to complete (like an hour? or more?)
Thanks in advance

mirkoslav

Vu+ Newbie
OK, I did it in the end, parted is included with 2.0.5 and that's great. In reality my biggest problem was that disk came factory configured as 2 disks, so I had to find the way to reconfigure it to 1 disk and 1 GPT partition. I used Win7 disk manager for this and it worked well. After that things were straight forward. Used parted to make gpt label and one partition of 100% size and then formated it with mkfs.ext4. No issues whatsoever, box shows 3TB capacity, tried recording, works just fine.

I'm now copying internal HDD I had in Uno to it but this will take time, so a side-question (likely to Vu+), are future boxes to support USB3 specs?

Shiro

BH-C
This thread is outdated.
Black Hole 2.0.5 fully support hard diks larger than 3 Tb
you can simply inizialized the hdd from the menu.

closed.