Automatic Timeshift (and for FFW and REW) - TSR Automatico

AlexWilMac

Hello,
with VU+ and BH 2.1.4 is possible to set the TSR in a way that makes possible also to rewind and not only pausing what we are watching?. My previous receiver does so: each time you change channel it starts a new TSR so you can also rewind: this is very useful if you loose something.
Vu+ and BH 2.1.4, if I'm not wrong, makes possible just the live pause...
Thanks

Ciao,
con la BH 2.1.4 esiste un modo per abilitare in automatico il TSR in modo tale da poter anche tornare indietro e non solo mettere in pausa. Con il precedente ricevitore questo era possibile ed è stato molto comodo. Per esempio, si poteva riascoltare qualcosa che non si era capito oppure, semplicemente, si poteva tornare indietro qualora ci si fosse allontanati senza aver messo in pausa. Il TSR si resettava solo al cambio di canale.
Sul VU+, invece, funziona solo la pausa live e, quindi, solo da quel punto in poi e solo per andare avanti, a quanto sono riuscito a capire.
Grazie

Mito

Administrator
You need to install Permanent Timeshift plugin.
You can download it by BH addons server.

AlexWilMac

Thanks! I found out about permanent timeshift meanwhile, although I had read it could cause some crashes or problems. Actually, I installed it and, most of the time, works decently.
It only lacks (as well as other playing functions) of a sort of direct access to previous or forward points. Having just the FF or the REW buttons is not the same. Anyway, it's just something :)
Thanks!

AlexWilMac

What do you mean exactly with "can you record when going back"?
Record a different channel, if already started, is possible.
PTS, as far as I know, is a sort of recording itself. So the problem could be the tuners involved and already committed.
Going back or forward I don't think changes anything in PTS logic. What matters is having PTS enabled or disabled.
But I'm not that expert, yet!
For sure, with PTS enabled, I'm able also to record at least a couple of other channels in different transponders for the same tuners (I haven't stressed my VU+ more, so far).

Sontawila

Vu+ Newbie
What do you mean exactly with "can you record when going back"?
Record a different channel, if already started, is possible.
PTS, as far as I know, is a sort of recording itself. So the problem could be the tuners involved and already committed.
Going back or forward I don't think changes anything in PTS logic. What matters is having PTS enabled or disabled.
But I'm not that expert, yet!
For sure, with PTS enabled, I'm able also to record at least a couple of other channels in different transponders for the same tuners (I haven't stressed my VU+ more, so far).

Sorry i didnt clear it up. I meant while watching on the same channel i have the option while using PTS to go back for lets say 2 hours of previous broadcast, so can I choose to permanently save that piece of vid from the timeshift?

AlexWilMac

Sorry i didnt clear it up. I meant while watching on the same channel i have the option while using PTS to go back for lets say 2 hours of previous broadcast, so can I choose to permanently save that piece of vid from the timeshift?

I have to say I haven't fully explored these functions, yet. Surely, I tried to configure PTS in its options: I tried, for instance, even to automatically save timeshifts but it doesn't seem to perform this action.
Instead, I noticed that pressing the REC button now appears the option to save the PTS buffer. So, even if I haven't tried it it seems the only way to save it BEFORE changing the channel.
I'll try it myself later today.

McDuff

Vu+ Newbie
Bonjour!
I just bought a new Vu+ Duo2 and I'm a little bit lost tu use it decently...! I'm confused with terms like Enigma, OpenPli, plugins, Picons... I'm a true newbie, sorry...!
Trying to find some explanations, I found this post about Timeshift and I also find that it's very annoying that I only can pause and not rewind directly.
You say a solution is to install Permanent Timeshift plugin; could you be so kind to explain how I can do it...?
And if you have some general explanations about the use of the Vu+ and about the terms I mentioned, you should be grateful if you could explain itto me (but maybe I must open another post?). :)
Thanks in advance!

AlexWilMac

I'm a new user too; so I'm not the best one to teach about VU+! Anyway...
1) about PTS, to install it, if you have a BlackHole image installed in your VU+, you have to go to MENU/Addons/Download and install addons and then go through the list and choose Permanent Timeshift for BH.
So, installing PTS is like any other addon for BlackHole.
If you are using a standard VU+ without BH... I don't know because I bought the VU+ already equipped with BH 2.1.4.
I have to say that initially I was curious to use VU+ in its normal configuration but now I changed my mind as I've understood how many interesting features BH offers.

2) About functions, there is the same question: are you using a standard VU+ or not? A manual for VU+ does exists also in VU+ website (www.vuplus.com)
If you are you using a specific image, there is no manual: you have to look over the internet!

AlexWilMac

I have to say I haven't fully explored these functions, yet. Surely, I tried to configure PTS in its options: I tried, for instance, even to automatically save timeshifts but it doesn't seem to perform this action.
Instead, I noticed that pressing the REC button now appears the option to save the PTS buffer. So, even if I haven't tried it it seems the only way to save it BEFORE changing the channel.
I'll try it myself later today.

So, I finally had the time to do more tries (but you could it yourself, couldn't you? ;) ).
If you enable in PTS configuration, let's say 5 events, and you choose, as default action for savings timeshifts "ASK", when you press the REC button you'll see in the menu the option to save the PTS buffer as a new recording.

Sontawila

Vu+ Newbie
So, I finally had the time to do more tries (but you could it yourself, couldn't you? ;) ).
If you enable in PTS configuration, let's say 5 events, and you choose, as default action for savings timeshifts "ASK", when you press the REC button you'll see in the menu the option to save the PTS buffer as a new recording.

Thanks Buddy, what do you mean by events? And to make it easier for noobs like my self to understand, let's say you have 2hours stored in PTS, can you rewind 40min and start recording from that point to another pointor to the last part of the clip?

AlexWilMac

An event is a TV event, a TV programme.
If you set 120 minutes as the length of PTS buffer, yes, you'll be able to rewind till that moment. But it's not clear what do you mean about recording from 40 min before: you can choose, pressing record button during PTS, to record the WHOLE buffer until that moment or even the TV event (I haven't tried this last option, yet, but it seems to be able to automatically record the whole even based on the EPG info. So, as soon as the programme ends it should save the recording...).

Sontawila

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks again my friend for your reply and please excuse my English.

Referencing what you said, if I have 120 stored in PST, I don't want to save the whole clip, rather, I want to specify a start and an end point of the clip to be saved irrespective of the event (say minute 10 to minute 50 of the clip). Is this doable in PST?

Thanks again..

AlexWilMac

As far as I know this is not a PTS feature but this is not a problem: if you install the MovieCut plugin (maybe the name it's not exactly this but I'm not at home to check: you'll find it among the plugins) you'll be able to edit your file cutting not only the start or the end but also parts within it.
Actually, it'd be even easier to do the same by copying it to your PC and using a movie editor and then, maybe, re-copying into your STB.