Box very slow after network mount with other box

marthijn

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,

I have two boxes, a VU Solo SE V2 and a VU DUO 2.
In this VU DUO an internal hdd is connected.

When I mount this hdd at my second box (VU Solo SE V2) this box is operating very slow.
Even when I switch between channels I have a spinner in the left top corner
When I disable this mount I have no problems.

The mount is a CIFS fstab, replace HDD (Yes).
The VU DUO2 is hard wired connected with Ethernet. The VU SOLO has a VU+ Wifi stick 300Mbps.

Something I can do about it?

Kind regards.

AlexWilMac

If you chose the option "Replace HDD: yes" it means that every operations are performed through the remote HDD, starting from timeshift to the recording. Not to mention that, if the Duo2 is recording too or simply using timeshift too, you'll put your two boxes in deep troubles, mainly the Solo.
You cannot think that this way you can have the same performance of a local HDD, particularly because your Solo is connected to the LAN by wifi...
I cannot think of a worst situation.
If you really need the Duo2 to share, at least use this sharing just for its recordings, not for everything.
Using a local HDD in your Solo is the only way not to have this slowing downs.
So, the option "Replace HDD: yes has to become NO.

marthijn

Vu+ Newbie
If you chose the option "Replace HDD: yes" it means that every operations are performed through the remote HDD, starting from timeshift to the recording. Not to mention that, if the Duo2 is recording too or simply using timeshift too, you'll put your two boxes in deep troubles, mainly the Solo.
You cannot think that this way you can have the same performance of a local HDD, particularly because your Solo is connected to the LAN by wifi...
I cannot think of a worst situation.
If you really need the Duo2 to share, at least use this sharing just for its recordings, not for everything.
Using a local HDD in your Solo is the only way not to have this slowing downs.
So, the option "Replace HDD: yes has to become NO.

Okay, that was already what I thought.
But because the VU Solo SE only can have an external harddrive.
I would like to save the records at the VU DUO harddisk.

Is t maybe possible to make 2 partitions, for each box one.
Or is this not gonna work?

Is there an app for openblackhole like partnerbox for OpenPli?
Then I use the remote hdd only to watch records/movie at my Solo.
And I will Always start the timer remote at the second box.

Thanks a lot.

AlexWilMac

Why do you say "VU Solo SE only can have an external harddrive"? I wouldn't say "only". I suggest to do exactly so: using an external HDD cannot create any problem and it's much, much faster than the previous method.
Is also much more comfortable to manage.
And about the partition on Duo2: what for? If then you use as you described, not only you limit your space, but you also have the problem of reading writing remotely.
Sincerely, I don't see a reason to do so, especially today that external HDD are so cheap.
In IT devices, you should keep things as simple as possible, in my view.

marthijn

Vu+ Newbie
Why do you say "VU Solo SE only can have an external harddrive"? I wouldn't say "only". I suggest to do exactly so: using an external HDD cannot create any problem and it's much, much faster than the previous method.
Is also much more comfortable to manage.
And about the partition on Duo2: what for? If then you use as you described, not only you limit your space, but you also have the problem of reading writing remotely.
Sincerely, I don't see a reason to do so, especially today that external HDD are so cheap.
In IT devices, you should keep things as simple as possible, in my view.
I have the VU Solo behind my TV in a very small space. So I thought it was easy to use a network drive.
I use this internal HDD also to watch downloaded movies with my iPad. Even when I am not at home.
This is working fine. I prefere internal HDD, no extra cable or powersupply. Managed in the box. Before I used a NAS for this, but this is working aslo with less configuration. I download a movie, copy it at the HDD in the box and I can play it everywhere I want.

For now I will only use the network mount to watch records and movies. So remote HDD is off.
Then I will always record a program at the box with the internal HDD.

I only need some capacity for time shifts at my VU+ Solo.
I will look for a small USB-stick/drive. How much capacity should I get. Maybe a stick from 128GB is enough? 1TB will be overkill I guess.

Thanks for your advise.

AlexWilMac

Well, only for timeshifting 128Gb should be enough. You can also set differently the T.S. options, in case (in order to reduce maximum length of it and to choose to have only one or two t.s. at the same time).