Can i clone my hd to a usb external drive?

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
Hi, can't seem to find this anywhere on here but if ive missed it can someone link me to it please. My hd on my vu duo is going (at least i think it is, the blue white circle on top left keeps coming on for 10 seconds at a time). I have a spare usb external hd 1tb and was wondering if i could just clone my hd to the usb one then take the old one out? Would it then use usb to read or do i need to get an internal 1. Ive also considered just formatting the usb one and installing the newest BH but i wouldnt know what to transfer over from the old hd so i wouldnt need to find all my channels again etc. Takes me ages to redo my bouquets lol. Its been so long since ive updated BH chances are im way behind but cant even remember how to set it all up now. Can anyone help please.

Matrix10

Administrator
On your Hard Drive are not your channels and bouquets.
Probably just only your recordings.

You can use prog dreamboxedit to read and backup your channels on your PC.
Search info about howto use dreamboxedit .You have also on youtube.
Dreamboxedit will not make a backup for your rotor / lnb configuration

Only your channel list/bouquets

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks Matrix. So i'll look up db edit but is there any way to back up my rotor and my apps that are already on my hd suich as xtream or do i have to reinstall them all? If thats so then i may as well start from scratch with a new BH install on my usb drive. If i do that can i keep it as a usb drive and have none actually inside the machine or does it need an internal hd.

AlexWilMac

I think you did not read well what Matrix said. I'll tell differently: a VU+ IT'S NOT a PC, where you have the operative system installed in the PC's HDD.
The operative system of a VU+ runs from its FLASH memory (that it's not the RAM "memory"). So, even if you disconnect your HDD, you'll have THE SAME system you have now. You won't have just the recordings (and Kodi, if you use it).

What I said is true if you have only one "image" (that is the way we call the operative systems of a VU+) installed in flash because it's also possible to install OTHER images in the HDD or in an external USB device (HDDs, flash drives,...). This situation is called MULTIBOOT. So you can, for example, install other images in your HDD.
But this does not mean your VU+ won't run if you pull out your HDD: it will start from the image installed in flash.

So, what you have to do is copying all your recordings. My suggestion with BH is to install the plugin Enhanced Movie Center, where you can select every recordings by the same k_ey you use to enter in the movie list. Then you'll have the option to copy or move your files.
I also suggest to format your external HDD by the image. The, remember to MAP it (otherwise it won't be added to your resources).

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks Alex. Its not that then. Ive took the hd out and as you said it still worked. My problem is its still slow as hell and when i try to scroll through my channels for example it freezes, the blue/white circle comes up in the top left for about 10 seconds then once it stops i can use it again. Im guessing the flash has gone bad. Im going to look it up now but only just tried this. Could i do what Marix said, save all my channels then load up a new image on my external drive and use that to boot off instead? I could then add my channels to that copy. Im thinking that perhaps ive overfilled the flash with excess apps etc as they all still seem to be on there, things like xtream. If you have any other ideas on something else that could cause this could you let me know please. I had it in my head it had to be the HD but now im thinking theres nothing wrong with it

AlexWilMac

Thanks Alex. Its not that then.

Could i do what Marix said, save all my channels then load up a new image on my external drive and use that to boot off instead?

NO! You yourself told us that, even without the HDD nothing changed! What for changing it, then? ;)

Im thinking that perhaps ive overfilled the flash with excess apps etc as they all still seem to be on there, things like xtream.

Of course it's much more likely that you installed too many plugins, not PERHAPS! 99% the problem is there. As for our poor PC with the problematic Windows, we install and install and install as it was for "free". But it's not. The more you install, the more you make your system heavy.
Fortunately, with Linux-based images, once you uninstall it's not like for Windows that you solve only 50% of the problem: here you solve almost completely.
I don't know and don't use this Xtreme plugin, but surely, each plugin you uninstall the lighter your system will be.

And, of course that app SEEMS to be still there: they are installed in flash, as we said, not in your HDD.
You can also get info about your system status by the Image menus.

But surely you can try uninstalling, one after one, your plugins and test for a while your system. And connect your HDD: it's not the responsible (although, of course, the day it'll have too many defective sectors, you'll have slow-downs).

Finally, the best and definitive solution would be to save your channels by a software for your PC or by the image plugin OpenWebInterface, and then reflash your box from scratch. Then... don't install useless plugins ;)

But you can do that only and if you don't solve as said above.

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks Alex, just found the problem and came on to mention it when i saw your post. My flash is at 99%, ram is only 59 so basically i have to uninstall everything lol. Hopefully thatll solve a lot of the problems

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
I was surprised at what was on there but im not sure what to delete. I know some plugins need to be kept or it wont work. For instance i do use iptv but does that mean i need to keep streamtv or is that a seperate app altogether. i deleted xtream and that took it to 97% but all these problems starting when i got iptv and now i have to also install vpn which im worried will take it back to 99% so really need to get rid of some of these, problem is im not sure what ive used and what comes with the box lol. Thanks for all you help with this btw

ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/AddStreamUrl
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/BhEpgBackup
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/BhFastEpg
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/BhFullBackup
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/BhPersonalBackup
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/BhWeather
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/CutListEditor
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/DLNABrowser
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/DLNAServer
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/GraphMultiEPG
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/MediaPlayer
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/MediaScanner
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/OpenMultiboot
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/OpenWebif
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/PicturePlayer
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/RemoteChannelStreamConverter
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/SatipClient
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/StreamTV
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/Tuxtxt
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/WebInterface

nunigaia

I was surprised at what was on there but im not sure what to delete. I know some plugins need to be kept or it wont work. For instance i do use iptv but does that mean i need to keep streamtv or is that a seperate app altogether. i deleted xtream and that took it to 97% but all these problems starting when i got iptv and now i have to also install vpn which im worried will take it back to 99% so really need to get rid of some of these, problem is im not sure what ive used and what comes with the box lol. Thanks for all you help with this btw

ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/AddStreamUrl
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/BhEpgBackup
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/BhFastEpg
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/BhFullBackup
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/BhPersonalBackup
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/BhWeather
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/CutListEditor
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/DLNABrowser
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/DLNAServer
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/GraphMultiEPG
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/MediaPlayer
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/MediaScanner
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/OpenMultiboot
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/OpenWebif
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/PicturePlayer
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/RemoteChannelStreamConverter
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/SatipClient
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/StreamTV
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/Tuxtxt
ftp://root@192.168.0.11/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/WebInterface

Everything you mention here are part of the image, so, don´t delete it!.
Your issues must be somewhere.

Examples:

• Logs
  • Iptv downloads that are filling your memory
  • Pushing the KODI button, without any HDD attached.
  • Picons at:
Code:
/usr/share/enigma2/picon

best regards
nunigaia

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks nunigaia but iptv only went on 2 days ago, hardly used it yet, no kodi and the picons only has 1 png file. I cant find the logs but i cant see txt files being the problem.

AlexWilMac

You can "delete" (the way I'm going to say later) , if you don't use them, probably only PicturePlayer and Sat>IP client.
I haven't BH installed at the moment but I'm almost sure they can be uninstalled by the BH speed-up menu:
go to Menu/Black Hole apps/BlackHole Speed UP
(if these names were a bit different forgive me, but they should be very, very similar; only... i'm using OpenBlackHole (OBH) now)
and there you can choose to disable some (as Nunigaia said) SYSTEM plugins.
But, if the two I mentioned, are listed and you don't need, for example, to browse your pictures by VU+, you can surely disable (that means uninstall) Picture Player and, almost surely, SAT>IP client.
In case something you disable, you can re-enable (install) from the same SpeedUp panel.

Actually, if you've got a Duo (and not a Duo2) you MUST consider to reflash your box by a much lighter image that is OBH 4.1 (you can find it in our forum under the specific section). Your experience with your box will be totally different, I'm sure.
And NEVER ever put picons in flash! Only in a USB flash drive or, in case, in your HDD (that will be running more than before, in case).

Another great option is to install an image in multiboot but this is a longer story... ;) I strongly suggest you to save only your channels and install OBH.

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks, i'll download the image tomorrow and sort it over the weekend, ive already saved my channels and bouqet using dreamboxedit as suggested above. Hopefully that will free up more memory. Thanks for the help

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks, ive been looking and this is going to sound like a daft question but ive found where i can get the image from but they're all like openbh 4.2 vu_solo. I have a duo, will this one still work or have i got to find the duo one somewhere else? To give you an idea of the last time i flashed this thing im still using bh 303 lol. I'm even going to have to look up how to flash this thing now, its been that long but i dont generally change something thats working which is why ive waited so long

nunigaia

Thanks, ive been looking and this is going to sound like a daft question but ive found where i can get the image from but they're all like openbh 4.2 vu_solo. I have a duo, will this one still work or have i got to find the duo one somewhere else? To give you an idea of the last time i flashed this thing im still using bh 303 lol. I'm even going to have to look up how to flash this thing now, its been that long but i dont generally change something thats working which is why ive waited so long

You haven´t read it, mate!

Please Note:

Due to limited resources some end of life models will no longer be supported from OBH4.2 onwards. If you want to use OpenBH with these receivers please use version 4.1.

The following is a list of the receivers that will not be supported in version 4.2 onwards:

Vu+ Zero
Vu+ Ultimo
Vu+ Uno
Vu+Duo
Vu+ Solo

best regards
nunigaia

Please note: There´s no Open Black Hole 4.2 image for old box´s like DUO.

You might install, if you want Open BlackHole 4.1 --> http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/openbh-4-1-vu-duo.35039/

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks Alex, just spotted it myself and have 4.1 now, gonna update tomorrow after footie just in case i mess it up and do something wrong lol

Julian Matthews

Vu+ Newbie
Well decided to give this a go now and hit a problem i remember from before. Have 4 flash drives, formatted each to fat32, none of them will read in front or rear usb slots. I remember last time i had a 4g microsd and adaptor that worked eventually, gone now. Will update it when i get chance. Thanks for the help with all of this.