Can't use backup settings

donquixote

Vu+ Newbie
Installed OBH 4.2, previous image OBH 4.1, tried to apply backup settings to 4.2, but said 4.1 not compatible with this version.

Any suggestions as to why this is? Thanks

Mick12334

Because it's a new image, you shouldn't use any backup settings, when installing a completely new build.
You can use dreamboxedit, to back up, and re-install, your channels, and bouquets.
There is also a problem, with 4.2, after installation do an update, before doing a full backup.

AlexWilMac

I really wonder why the so called personal backups, or settings backup, exists: I've never ever had the chance of using it at every change of version.
The question is: if they cannot be used for a new version why do they exist? Because, frankly, I find useless them for the same version.
If I do a fresh install of the same version I have, is because I want to know if a problem depends on some plugins or customization.
So, if the fresh install solves the problem, I surely don't want to "contaminate" it by the personal backup.
On the contrary, if the fresh install has the same problem of the "complete" install, I simply go back to it by a full backup.
So, the personal backup is completely useless within the same version. But it's never possible to take advantage of it upgrading to a new one.
All the "normal" settings, I mean channels, are too easy to save even without this kind of backup.
So, even this time, I installed everything from scratch and then I had to re-configure tuners, plugins, NAS and mounts one by one...

Last edited:

donquixote

Vu+ Newbie
Because it's a new image, you shouldn't use any backup settings, when installing a completely new build.
You can use dreamboxedit, to back up, and re-install, your channels, and bouquets.
There is also a problem, with 4.2, after installation do an update, before doing a full backup.

Okay thanks. Like Alex above, I have never managed to use a saved backup, which is annoying, but I will try Dreamboxedit, thanks.

Cojayar

Vu+ Newbie
I really wonder why the so called personal backups, or settings backup, exists: I've never ever had the chance of using it at every change of version.
The question is: if they cannot be used for a new version why do they exist? Because, frankly, I find useless them for the same version.
If I do a fresh install of the same version I have, is because I want to know if a problem depends on some plugins or customization.
So, if the fresh install solves the problem, I surely don't want to "contaminate" it by the personal backup.
On the contrary, if the fresh install has the same problem of the "complete" install, I simply go back to it by a full backup.
So, the personal backup is completely useless within the same version. But it's never possible to take advantage of it upgrading to a new one.
All the "normal" settings, I mean channels, are too easy to save even without this kind of backup.
So, even this time, I installed everything from scratch and then I had to re-configure tuners, plugins, NAS and mounts one by one...

I fully agree. It does not make sense that you cannot use "personal settings" from previous versions. Not even that you cannot chose them, but you cannot use them at all.

I had to setup again the samba users, network, tuners, ...
Some of them you can copy with file /etc/enigma2/settings if you do before an init4 but sincerely, this is really bad quality from whoever designed it. At least you can open the backup file with 7zip or similar and then copy files or part of files.
The personal backup file has following directories among others:
- /etc/enigma2
- /etc/network
- /etc/samba
- /etc/tuxbox
- /usr/script
- /usr/crossepg

AlexWilMac

Yes, sometimes I copied some lines from settings but this time I decided to go through the entire process and, again, as I said, the point is:
1) within the same version I'd really like to know what's use the personal backup.
2) there should be a way, at least, if not for plugins, at least to avoid some annoying and boring setups, and easily recover in one shot, like you said:
mount points
tuner settings
channel settings
GUI customizations
KEY customizations
and something else.
Each of them are easy to restore but it takes time.