Display more next EPG events in channel selector screen

blackie

Vu+ Newbie
After request from moderator I'm creating this as a separate topic. The original discussion was started in the BH DUO 4K main thread.

I'm new to BH but I like it very much in general. My only issue so far is that I can't check more of next EPG events in the channel selector screen. There is a small windows on the right where I can see just current event and the 1st next (both with truncated description).

Practical example:
At 7:30 PM I'm watching "Daily News" on channel No.1. At 7:45 begins "Sport News" and at 7:55 "Weather Forecast". I'd like to choose my next program for watching at 8 PM.
Let's say I want to check only channels on the first page (17).

Solution 1: I have to click "2" for "Single EPG" , click "Exit", click "Arrow down" and repeat the whole sequence 16 more times.
Solution 2: Use "MultiG EPG" is easy to start but easy to get lost. Clicking 16 times down and try hard to focus on the vertical line to catch events starting at 8 PM.

Id like to stay in channel selection screen and use that small window on the right to show more of next events in structured lines (ideally simple lines with times and names).
Is there a skin with such modification ? Is there some other solution in BH image?
Thank you in advance for help.

Matrix10

Administrator
And what to do if the program starts running after five programs :chair:
It's all about the user
You can use the EPG button and see far more programs in single EPG and Multi EPG

I agree is not the same for you and those who want it,
but do not expect this to change in the Black Hole image
because the base VU + coding used in Black Hole does not provide support for it.
Otherwise it would not be good for many
who still want a small Epg info in the channel list.

blackie

Vu+ Newbie
The window has room for 10 lines if needed, but list of 5 would provide user enough time advance for choosing the next channel
(much more than current design with 1).

It's a pity if limitation in the VU+ code prevents this.
BH has the best EPG data available but visual presentation has room for improvement. I just tried to suggest a way how to make it better.
There are moments I would trade all the advanced VU+ factory image features for effective and user friendly channel navigation of OpenATV.

AlexWilMac

By MultiEPG you don't need to click 16 times down: do you know that everywhere in our images left/right are like pageUP/pageDOWN?

blackie

Vu+ Newbie
OK, but that way I sometimes loose focus on the timing. MulitiEPG window is quite small and changing whole pages is not optimal (for me). I prefer to check channels one by one in sequence.
But I agree it's the best/only existing solution atm. I'll try to get used to it...
Thanks for the tip.

Matrix10

Administrator
OK, but that way I sometimes loose focus on the timing. MulitiEPG window is quite small and changing whole pages is not optimal (for me). I prefer to check channels one by one in sequence.
But I agree it's the best/only existing solution atm. I'll try to get used to it...
Thanks for the tip.

You want something like this ?

MX_BlackSea_E_3.0.6.jpg

Matrix10

Administrator
YES!!! Exactly :)
Looking forward when available. Thanks a lot

MX Black Sea E (for BH 3.0.7 and up ver)
download from Black Hole image server.

is located on the Black Hole image / skin server.
This is just an additional version for those who want it
like you.
But it will not be applied within the image coding.
If you uninstall skin from Addons Manager
you also delete additional python encoding

Last edited:

blackie

Vu+ Newbie
Thank you very much for this modification.
I'm testing the skin right now and it's much more useful for me :)
The lines are long enough for 90% of event names so the second line is used quite rarely.

Below I added some questions/suggestions regarding lines formatting. You may (or not) test them in future versions, it's just for consideration.
1. Can the empty lines be used for adding another events?
2. Can for long event names the second line text be left-aligned with the first line text (not reach below the times area) ?
3. Can all lines use the same blue color like the first line ?

Have a nice day and thanks again for your work on this.

Matrix10

Administrator
Thank you very much for this modification.
I'm testing the skin right now and it's much more useful for me :)
The lines are long enough for 90% of event names so the second line is used quite rarely.

Below I added some questions/suggestions regarding lines formatting. You may (or not) test them in future versions, it's just for consideration.
1. Can the empty lines be used for adding another events?
2. Can for long event names the second line text be left-aligned with the first line text (not reach below the times area) ?
3. Can all lines use the same blue color like the first line ?

Have a nice day and thanks again for your work on this.

1.Adding new lines means that you lose the long event names ,they would be shorter.
This also means a slowdown to navigate through the list.
2.I do not think , the coding of the line is for the whole information,and not separated for time and event.
3.That can but I put a little different colors for better visibility.

blackie

Vu+ Newbie
1.Adding new lines means that you lose the long event names ,they would be shorter.
This also means a slowdown to navigate through the list.
2.I do not think , the coding of the line is for the whole information,and not separated for time and event.
3.That can but I put a little different colors for better visibility.
1. The idea was to insert new line dynamically, only if there an empty line exists (if event name is short).
2. OK, I understand. The idea was better optical separation of lines and easy read of long event names.
3. Idea here was that event lines create a "next program block" easy to focus on. I though the same/similar color could help.

Matrix10

Administrator
1. The idea was to insert new line dynamically, only if there an empty line exists (if event name is short).
2. OK, I understand. The idea was better optical separation of lines and easy read of long event names.
3. Idea here was that event lines create a "next program block" easy to focus on. I though the same/similar color could help.

1.This is not possible with this coding ,and we did not code that.
2.This is not possible.
3.it is again a matter for the user,one like this and the other,other things.
next program block or next program event.

Matrix10

Administrator

MX Black Sea E (for BH 3.0.7 and up ver)
download from Black Hole image server.

Skin update with "next program block" one color
fix for very long names (cut event text )

AlexWilMac

I'd just to tell that in OBH you can browse every events by clicking left or right and then up and down to browse (reading the event description on the right) as in the attached picture.
You can go on until the EPG ends.

Attachments

• OBH-next-event.jpg
    OBH-next-event.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 8