Duo2 Duo2 - before you buy

Matrix10

Administrator
I'm sorry but this is starting to look like spam in our forum.
That we really do not need.
As you know I've previously tested your problem on my installation
and I could not find a problem that you write.

But regardless of
The right place for your problem still remains your vendor and VU +
because we can not help it.
Not that we do not want but we can not.

Rgd MX

bogdanm

jwlalek; Im no see other people who have this problem are you try other VU+ box or other setups/image ?

Mick12334

Perhaps you would care to enlighten us to your problem.

Are these recordedlips, from your Duo2?
Are these off FTA, Free to Air, channels, or encrypted channels?
Are you using an internal drive or a USB device?

What exactly is your problem?
Are you complaining about picture quality, audio, or something else? I'm not sitting through a 13 minute video trying to guess your problems.

I have a genuine VU+ Duo 2, running Black Hole, and haven't experienced a single problem, so far, with audio, or video, or recordings.

How are you processing your audio? Via a HDNMI lead or are you using a surround sound system?

If your supplier has sent you 3 different VU+ Duo 2 receivers, and you find them all to be faulty, more likely the problem is with your set up, or something you have done, if it's the same receiver, which they've claimed to have repaired, then the problem might be with your supplier.
If you have a friend, close by, with a satellite dish, why not try the receiver on their set up, and television, to prove the problem is with the receiver, and try their receiver on your set up, of course it would be even better if you knew someone with a VU+ Duo 2, as then you can try that on your set up.

Instead of trying to disparage a top quality receiver perhaps you should get your supplier to send you a new, tested, receiver, or track down the fault.

If you are still unable to get it working you should return it, get a refund, and buy a cheap receiver that you can use.

Mick12334

Found your original thread, which explains the problem:
http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/audio-through-spdif-quality-issue.13740/

Perhaps the two threads should be merged.

Can you test your receiver on a friends audio system?
Did you explain the problem, in full, to your supplier, and did they test it, prior to replacing your receiver?

If you are not happy, with the receiver, why not ask your supplier to exchange it, for another receiver, that might better suit your needs.

Personally I haven't experienced any problems, but then I don't have the same audio system, as you, and I don't view youtube videos.
Hopefully you either sort out the problem, which might just be a software issue, or you find a receiver that works. either way I don't think your warning, to any potential new owner, is justified, as this problem seems to be very limited, and might be more to do with your set up than the VU+ Duo 2.

Ev0

Admin
You say on your other thread, that using your Kathrein 910 and your laptop with the same files the sound issue is gone.

Have you plugged these devices into the same cables your Duo2 is using, or are they different cables on a different input on your Amp ?

Also have you plugged your Duo2 into other cables on your Amp and tried different inputs ?

And finally have you tried a different Amp with your Duo2 ?

jwlalek

Vu+ User
Can you test your receiver on a friends audio system?

I've done it already.

Did you explain the problem, in full, to your supplier, and did they test it, prior to replacing your receiver?
Yes I did. My box was in Germany for repair. They have replaced the motherboard saying that the problem have been resolved. I do agree they have replaced it but with no positive result.

If you are not happy, with the receiver, why not ask your supplier to exchange it, for another receiver, that might better suit your needs.
I paid £450 to have one of the best boxes and I don't want to exchange it for a different one.

I don't have the same audio system, as you, and I don't view youtube videos.
You don't need to have. It doesn't matter what hi-fi you will use. I've tested on my friend's system which is completely different to mine.

Hopefully you either sort out the problem, which might just be a software issue.
There is no software so far which could eliminate the problem.

and might be more to do with your set up than the VU+ Duo 2.
You are wrong.

You say on your other thread, that using your Kathrein 910 and your laptop with the same files the sound issue is gone.
Correct

Have you plugged these devices into the same cables your Duo2 is using, or are they different cables on a different input on your Amp?
Also have you plugged your Duo2 into other cables on your Amp and tried different inputs?
I tried everything, belive me.

And finally have you tried a different Amp with your Duo2 ?
Yes, I have.

May I add...

@jwlalek: have you tested with all the settings in the BH audio menu (downmix, AC3, ecc.)?
Yes, I have.

jwlalek; Im no see other people who have this problem are you try other VU+ box or other setups/image ?
Yes, I have.

Thank you guys for your answers and for your effort. I have this problem since I bought my receiver in July 2013. I tested it on different audio system, I hired brand new box from shop too. You may think that I am stupid or it's only my imagination. No, it's just maybe my ears are more sensitive then the others. I'm affraid that the warranty will expire in 9 months and the case will remain open without help from VU+ or my supplier.

All of you are very welcome in my house in Leeds (UK) to see who is right.

Ev0

Admin
What player are you using to play the music ?

The standard media player built into the image or a 3rd party plugin ?

Matrix10

Administrator
What type of transmission do you use for Internet
for home network (wire, wifi, Powerline network adapter or something else) ??

I have a friend with a very expensive audio Installation
but not with satellite TV and not with satellite Receiver
had problems with interference from Powerline network adapter.
He was looking for a long time a source of trouble.

When I listen to your recordings (I have not listen long :D but I will)
I hear in the background of such pulsating interruptions
if this is a problem that you have.
It is strange that I never heard with my testing.
I'm not a normal user already working in electronics for many years

Last edited:

jwlalek

Vu+ User
What player are you using to play the music ?

The standard media player built into the image or a 3rd party plugin ?
The standard one.

What type of transmission do you use for Internet
for home network (wire, wifi, Powerline network adapter or something else) ??
wifi and cable

When I listen to your recordings I hear in the background of such pulsating interruptions
if this is a problem that you have.
It's more like a snap than pulsating interruptions. Just check this 6s sample, please:

Matrix10

Administrator
That's what I heard first time I think
but of course through the music in the background.

It is difficult to identify the cause
It may be inside but also from the outside.
Looks like a corrupted audio tape in 60s

My box is currently not in use
I use SoloSE
But if I have time tomorrow I will test again wit my box .

jwlalek

Vu+ User
I think it is more similar to sample no. 2:

It's very difficult to make it (the sound) :confused:
This one sounds like a ping pong :lol:
:idea: You have to imagine more metallic

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
Do those crackling sounds (like static electricity) always occur exactly at the same points during the playback of the same music piece?

jwlalek

Vu+ User
Do those crackling sounds (like static electricity) always occur exactly at the same points during the playback of the same music piece?
Yes, always at the same points. We may think that these videoclips are just "broken" (I don't belive) and there is nothing we can do with it. But why I can't hear anything wrong when as a source I use laptop, Blu-ray, DVD, other satellite receiver (apart from Duo2), etc?

Static electricity - you have hit the bull's-eye :victory:

jwlalek

Vu+ User
Is there any file that you was able to play without craklings?
Yes. I have a lot of downloaded videoclips from youtube. Some of them are free of any noise, some are more or less noisy, if you know what I mean.
It may depends on the tone or frequency of sound - I think.
Does it mean that Duo2 is more "sensitive" and I can hear something what I can not hear on different device?

Last edited:

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
Getting the noises always at the same point suggests that it's a problem in the stream decoding, non in the audio connection (otherwise they should be random).
Have you tried also the box's analog audio outputs or only the digital ones?

jwlalek

Vu+ User
Have you tried also the box's analog audio outputs or only the digital ones?
My youtube video with a sample songs (9 songs - 13min) was recorded on my laptop through 2xRCA-mini Jack (so it's analog). My AV receiver is connected to Duo2 by HDMI cable. The same problem was also on S/PDIF connection (both digital).

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
Try connecting the Duo2 to the AV receiver using a stereo analog cable (red & white connectors)