Duo2 fan control

antoine3_dupres

Vu+ Newbie
As duo2 has hardware to regulate fan speed based on temperature, why does BH come by default with a manual fan control plugin?
When this plugin is installed and configured only to set the speed of the fan while in standby, it seems to fix the speed of the fan always, thus i do not see why hardware cannot be used instead.
Thanks for you views on how things shall be configured.

grufti

Vu+ Newbie
Where is written, that there is a hardware regulation of temperature? My duo2 has only a 2pin fan built in and there is no change of sound if the unit gets hot.
There seem to be temperature sensors (hard disk temperature in info panel seems to work well). But when I tried fancontrol2, the values showed there seemed not to be real (dummy values?). (I de-installed fancontrol2 because of many freezers)
But important is the running fan during stand by, as the power dissipation in enigma stand by is not zero and hard disk can work during stand by too.

antoine3_dupres

Vu+ Newbie
Search in this forum for "vu+duo2 tested for you" and you will see "automatic temperature sensor based fan speed control system"
I have been struggling with the fan control2 as well and found out that from Bh you can download this plugin from 2 sources
Plugins. This one does not work on bh vuo2
Bh addons. This one works like a charm! It basically regulate fan speed based on temperature

but my question is still valid: How to use the hardware?

grufti

Vu+ Newbie
This article by EvO is the only place, where is spoken about a "sensor controlled temperature". On the Page of the european distributor is nothing of this kind mentioned. In the user's manual only is written "fan" in specifications. This does not mean, that it is impossible to realize a sensor based closed-loop control of the fan by an additional software plugin as fancontrol2. In this case EvO would be right. But I believe, the hardware as sold has no such function and only a hardware fan voltage regulation. Only an open-loop control (by fancontrol) is installed as it is in the naked BH images.
But if you are lucky with fancontrol2, I don't understand your question/problem. If it works as announced, it should do just what you need, stabilize the temperature (I don't know where this VU+ sensor is positioned) und not the fan speed. You use the full possibilities of the hardware.
When I tested fancontrol2 from BH addon (this source was the reason why I tested fancontrol again. I hoped this version would be stable), I got more than 2 freezers a day, happening when using the remote control, and eventually ended in green screens after booting. I had to flash the image again. But another point was, the temperature showed by fancontrol2 was relative low and at the same time the HD temperature went over 50 degrees C. This destroyed my confidence into fancontrol2.

antoine3_dupres

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for you answer.
i think like you that there is no such clever fan installed(i am too lazy to open the box again to check!)
I am very happy with the current fancontrol2, i can see (and hear) the fan accelarating when the box goes from standby to on, so it seems to do something.

The temp in standby is 32 at room temp 24 and temp osciliates beetwen 34 and 36 while on.
Like you i am wondering where the temp and fan speed sensors are in the vu duo2?
Maybe somebody on this forum will bring some light on this.