Duo2 External IR (infrared) sensor

JalaL

Vu+ Newbie
Hi guys,

My Duo2 in inside a TV cabinet about 40cm below the TV itself. I usually point the remote control to the TV instead of the receiver, and push the buttons too hard before I figure out that I needs to point the remote to the receiver direction (especially when the batteries are dying).

Is there any way to plug an external usb infrared sensor in the Duo2 so I can stick it near the TV infrared sensor, so nobody will breake the remote control buttons ?

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
You can use a classic IR repeater: sensor & emitter wirelessly connected together.
Unfortunately the Duo2 doesen't have a IR extender like the Zero.

JalaL

Vu+ Newbie
Many thanks Eragon, that should do it. Juste to be sure are you referring to this kind of receiver/sender?

Code:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371124147944&alt=web

Last edited by a moderator:

FL1PFL0P

Vu+ Newbie
I have used one of the items listed a couple of posts above............. But that was on another make of box! I have tried to use it with my Duo2 to no avail.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use a RS-232 Serial Port Infrared Adapter to get the right result?

If anyone has tried and succeeded (or failed), would they be kind enough to let me know.

Thanks in advance

FL1PFL0P

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Eragon..... Well, the Duo2 has a RS232 port on the back, and there is such a thing as a RS-232 Serial Port Infrared Adapter.
I didnt want to put a direct link to the item I was referring to, as I didn't want to get into trouble. But the e*ay item number is 271539879854.
Would you have a look please?

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
As in the image there is no driver that I'm aware of for managing the IR sensor, it would be completely useless.

To work a dedicated driver is needed...;)

If your IR repeater didn't work for the Duo2, buy another and hopefully better one... there are tons of models on the market.

FL1PFL0P

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for getting back to me Eragon.

I will heed your advice and try to find a different IR repeater.

Hopefully I will find one that works, and when I do, I will post on here.

JalaL

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for getting back to me Eragon.

I will heed your advice and try to find a different IR repeater.

Hopefully I will find one that works, and when I do, I will post on here.
Hi Flipflop

The one I listed above works absolutely fine with my Duo2, sometimes (and it really rare) the same signal comes twice to the receiver: 1t time directly from the remote to the receiver an 2nd time from the repeater.

But it's not really annoying as it was almost impossible to use the remote control normally without the repeater... I had to push a button 3 or 4 times to see the channel changed or volume lowered in the current position of the Duo2.

FL1PFL0P

Vu+ Newbie
Hello JalaL

That's really strange, because it is the exact same model that I have tried to use (It was working fine with a Technomate receiver).
IMG_0215.JPG I cannot get this thing to work. I have tried other places along the front as well as shown in pic, so can you confirm where the transmitter should go? I shall feel pretty stupid if I am siting the transmitter in the wrong place! I know the repeater is fully functionable coz I swapped the boxes back over and it still works with the Technomate.

JalaL

Vu+ Newbie
Hello JalaL

That's really strange, because it is the exact same model that I have tried to use (It was working fine with a Technomate receiver).
View attachment 21945 I cannot get this thing to work. I have tried other places along the front as well as shown in pic, so can you confirm where the transmitter should go? I shall feel pretty stupid if I am siting the transmitter in the wrong place! I know the repeater is fully functionable coz I swapped the boxes back over and it still works with the Technomate.
Hi Flipflop

That's the wrong place, I'll send you a picture when I get home.

dado_dxdy

Vu+ Newbie
seems is one good solution, over HDMI cable. anyone tested it?

Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271936279252

Last edited by a moderator:

duggy

Vu+ Newbie
google "ir repeater" or "ir extender". That way no drivers needed its simply relaying the original signal to to the original receiver.