Help with subtitles in MKV file

solvufree

Vu+ Newbie
Hello
I have a movie on my HDD that is a MKV file with subtitles in the MKV file, not srt.
I can not se the subtitles in 2X yellow button.
So what do i do?

nunigaia

Hello
I have a movie on my HDD that is a MKV file with subtitles in the MKV file, not srt.
So what do i do?

Are the subtitles embedded on the movie, or there is an extra file for your subtitles?

If your subtiltes is an extra file ... srt (extension ) ... just rename the file ( srt ) to match the name of the ( mkv ) file.

example:

movie -> nameofthemovie.mkv
subtitles --> nameofthemovie.srt

best regards
nunigaia

Gold_66

Vu+ User
How do you know that there are subtitles, can you see them on PC?
There's a free app called "mkvtoolnix", with it you can see which subtitles are embedded in mkv file (if any) and make the one that you want "default" so it starts automatically when the movie plays, without the need for 2X yellow button.

AlexWilMac

Yes, as @Gold_66 said, and even without the need of mkvtoolnix, just try to play this file by VLC: if it Subtitles menu does not show any subtitles track, the problem is in the file. Otherwise, instead of 2xYELLOW, try the AUDIO button and then you should see the subtitle menu.

nunigaia

Yes i can see 4 subtitles in VLC on my PC :)

Are you using MediaPlayer? If so, it should be able to display embedded subs.

If not, try to play it by using MEDIAPLAYER 2.

best regards
nunigaia

Note: Tested on DUO4k ( running BlackHole 3.0.9.L ).

solvufree

Vu+ Newbie
Yes i use the MediaPlayer, have not tryed the MediaPlayer 2

I have BlackHole 3.0.9.L on solo2.
I have a Uno there i use BlackHole 2.1.7.01 and there is the same, no subtiltles

But i have tryed 2 movies of MKV and there is in VLC om my PC when i look at the subs in codec info in the first movie it named BD PGS subtitels (bdpg) and in the other it called DVD subtitles (spu)

p.rodrigues

Vu+ User
Or download the subtitle in the usual sites, send it to the disk where the mkv movie is, renaming the subtitle to .mkv as @nunigaia indicates in # 2, or, if there is no subtitle in the usual sites, download the MKV Subtitle Extractor and do the same process (send to disk).

solvufree

Vu+ Newbie
I have now tryed MKVExtractGUI2-2.3.0.0 and the program have some time a error og not find any subtitles on the 2 movies at all.
Have tryed other movies but no subtidles there either :(

nunigaia

I have now tryed MKVExtractGUI2-2.3.0.0 and the program have some time a error og not find any subtitles on the 2 movies at all.
Have tryed other movies but no subtidles there either :(

Can you please try this sample?

Code:
https://github.com/Matroska-Org/matroska-test-files/blob/master/test_files/test5.mkv

Download it, and upload to your STB to:

Code:
/media/hdd/movie

Play it ... and you´ll get surely subtitles.

best regards
nunigaia

Gold_66

Vu+ User
Extra info:
Not all subtitle formats are recognised by STBs, like SSA, VOB and probably many more.
Mkv is a rich container format where you can merge together almost all types of video, audio, subtitle, chapter info, etc.
VLC player (and other players as well, with appropriate codecs) can play them all on PC, but these boxes can't.
Make sure to have .srt format subtitles embedded in mkv files, they play everywhere. :)

solvufree

Vu+ Newbie
@nunigaia: I have test the file and see there is many srt files, and they work :)
That i don`t understand is way there is not any subs in the they 2 movies i try on either stb and MKVExtractGUI2, but in MKVToolNix find subs but is look complicated to use.