Hi Newbee needs help.

Mick12334

You need to set the motor, and dish, to zero. Thor, 0.8W, is not everyones true south position, your longitude is.
Go to dishpointer.com, type in your postcode, and check your latitude, and longitude, negative longitude values = West, then you enter them into your satellite receiver, and send the motor, and dish, to 0.8W, and align it. This will not get you tracking the arc perfectly but should get you most of the satellites.
You now need to fine tune the arc, by sending the dish to your furthest East, and West, satellites, probably 42E and 30W, and checking the signal quality readings.
If they are low, usually on one end, you return the dish to 0.8W and make gentle adjustments, to the brackets, maximize the signal, on 0.8W, and try again.
What is your longitude reading?
Did you try using the manual option, for finding the satellites?
Try doing it in stages and see what satellites you can get, from 0.8W, try 5E, 7E, 9E, 10E, 13E, 16E, 19.2E, 23.5E, and then try for 28.2E.
I shall post back with some frequencies, you can try, on some of the satellites.

fairsats

Vu+ User
Morning,

Still having problems with the motorised dish. I started it all again, checked the dish for level. Set the dish to thor 0.9 west with the sat finder. Moved the disk back 0.9 on the pole to make sure that I am point at true south. I can tune all the channels in for thor. Great signal. When I send the satellite dish anywhere else it does not find the satellites.

What am I doing wrong? I don't think I am on the right arc. Everything seems to be in the right position and level. Trying to find 28 east for sky.

Cheers

Setup the angles on dish and motor....

Motor = 36
Dish = 27.4

You will find these settings on your dish and motor bracket respectively.

Mick12334

5E Planeta TV 12399 V 27500
7E RTS 1 10721 H 22000
9E NTD TV 11727 V 27500
13E Polonia 1 10796 V 27500
16E Top News 10762 H 27500
19.2E CNN Int 11778 V 27500
23.5E TV Noord 11914 H 27500

Try using your manual motor options to get these channels and please post back with there signal readings.

First try going into your menu, Setup, Service Searching, Tuner Configuration, set it to advanced, select LNB 1, then 5E, scroll to the second page, select no for USALS and set position as 2.
Next go into the Motor Options, Menu, Setup, Service Searching, Positioner Setup, press the red button, for tune, select 5E, enter the frequency, then use the search East button to find 5E, the fine tune buttons to maximize the signal strength, and store it on 2.
Do the same for 7E, 9E, 13E, 16E, 19.2E, and 23.5E, and please post back the best signal strength readings you get.

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Mick,

I will give it a go tonight on the manual searching. I set the dish manually at the motor to 0.7 thor. When I was on thor “ tuned in with the SAT meter”, I moved the whole dish on the mount back 0.7 degree west to find the true south and put the motor back to 0. This in theory should have given me true south. I manually sent the dish back to 0.7 thor and tuned in. When I go to the receiver I can receive all thor channels, Some hotbird and Astra channels. This is from my current position. It is quite a big dish though.

I can’t seem to find the or lock onto 28.2 E it won’t give me a good signal. The Sat meter is not detecting it at 28.2 E, well not a good signal and a satellite lock.

I think I am slightly out on the arc. My longitude and latitude I have gotten from an app and dishpointer.

Lat – 54.5231769

Lon - -3.5658733 (west)

Dark Motor angle is set at 54
dish latitude 28 on the dish

I will try it manually tonight.

Mick12334

In theory, when your dish is pointing at 0.8W, zero should be pointing at 3.56W. If you haven't set it up correctly then it could drop off, at 28.2E.
Have you checked if there are any obstructions in the way, of 28.2E, Trees, Buildings, etc..?
Please post back with the size of your dish and the signal quality readings, of the channels mentioned, and we can spot if the signals are too low and you are missing the satellite arc.

fairsats

Vu+ User
Hi Mick,

I will give it a go tonight on the manual searching. I set the dish manually at the motor to 0.7 thor. When I was on thor “ tuned in with the SAT meter”, I moved the whole dish on the mount back 0.7 degree west to find the true south and put the motor back to 0. This in theory should have given me true south. I manually sent the dish back to 0.7 thor and tuned in. When I go to the receiver I can receive all thor channels, Some hotbird and Astra channels. This is from my current position. It is quite a big dish though.

I can’t seem to find the or lock onto 28.2 E it won’t give me a good signal. The Sat meter is not detecting it at 28.2 E, well not a good signal and a satellite lock.

I think I am slightly out on the arc. My longitude and latitude I have gotten from an app and dishpointer.

Lat – 54.5231769

Lon - -3.5658733 (west)

Dark Motor angle is set at 54
dish latitude 28 on the dish

I will try it manually tonight.

I have told you to set the Dark Motor @ 36
and the dish @ 27.4
Why dont you do this?

Your receiver Usals settings are fine.....

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,

The dish is a 1m dish quad titanium Lnb. In have no obstructions, as the house is up on a hill with clear line of sight in all directions. I should be getting a great signal. When tuned into thor, I am getting a signal reading of a round 80 and 70 on the meter. 800 + channels.

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
Hi,

Set the dish to dark motor to 36 and the dish to 27.4, now I cant get a lock on thor, the angle of the dish needs to be allot lower to hit the satellite. Is this Ok?

When I send the dish to thor from the receiver it goes to 0.7 east instead of west. This is why I can not get a lock on other sites, as the dish is going the wrong way.
What setting do I need to change to fix this?

Thanks for all your help and for being patient.

fairsats

Vu+ User
Hi,

Set the dish to dark motor to 36 and the dish to 27.4, now I cant get a lock on thor, the angle of the dish needs to be allot lower to hit the satellite. Is this Ok?

When I send the dish to thor from the receiver it goes to 0.7 east instead of west. This is why I can not get a lock on other sites, as the dish is going the wrong way.
What setting do I need to change to fix this?

Thanks for all your help and for being patient.

I live only 5 mile away at Tarnside Caravan Park ...you may pop down and check my settings as a comparison if you wish.

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for the offer and if I get the time one day, I will come down and have a look. Just can understand why the dish is turning the wrong way from the receiver. I'm moving house this week so very busy, trying to get the Satellite sorted before the troops move in.

Going to check level again today to see the dish hasn't moved and start again. I have set the dish with a compass so it should be bag on south and when I manually tune into thor it is 0.7 west. When I send the dish to thor 0.7 west it goes 0.7east.... strange

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
Yes as the setting was -3.565, I set to west. Should I try it on east to see what happens?
Lat – 54.5231769
Lon - -3.5658733 (west)

fairsats

Vu+ User
Yes as the setting was -3.565, I set to west. Should I try it on east to see what happens?
Lat – 54.5231769
Lon - -3.5658733 (west)
No...It seems you have it right.

When you move the dish in Setup/Positioner does it move in the direction you have selected?

Mick12334

When using USALS your dish should go East, when sending it to 0.8W, from 0, as your True South is 3.56 West.
The dish going East means that when it is manually aligned to Thor, 0.8W, then zero, your True South, should be pointing to 3.56 West, 0.8W is approx 2.7 degrees East of Thor.
Did you try manually semding the dish, to the satellites, and channels, I listed? Your signal quality readings, from those satellites/channels, will help show how your dish is missing the arc.
satellite arc.jpg

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
5E Planeta TV 12399 V 27500 = 53%
7E RTS 1 10721 H 22000 = 12% wont lock on
9E NTD TV 11727 V 27500 = nothing found
13E Polonia 1 10796 V 27500 = nothing found
16E Top News 10762 H 27500 = nothing found
19.2E CNN Int 11778 V 27500 =nothing found
23.5E TV Noord 11914 H 27500 = nothing found

Mick12334

You're settings must be completely off, or your pole isn't plumb, as you should be hitting the high 90% figure, on most of those satellites, and no way should it dip so dramatically so close to 0.8W.
What reading do you get on the Westerly satellites?
Try 5W 12690 V 27500 Canal 2 International

fairsats

Vu+ User
Please check your motor manual:Assuming you have one.

Elevation and Declination Angle Table

Scroll down the list to Your Site Latitude....54Deg...ok
Check that 36 is the listed Elevation Angle ...and 27.4 Dish Bracket Angle...these are the numbers I gave you from my setup...yours may be different.

Jay bear

Vu+ Newbie
46% 5W 12690 V 27500 Canal 2 International.

motor on 36 and dish around 15 as when i take it up it looses the satellite. I have just checked dish fo level. slightley dipping due to the weight but still inside the bubble.