Vu+
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much does a 4k video take hdd space approximately?

Discussion in 'Hard Disks internal / external' started by Michael_Knight, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Michael_Knight

Michael_Knight Vu+ Newbie

How much hdd space does a 1 hour 4k video recorded by Vu+ 4k take approximately?Is there a way to reduce the quality of the video coming from the provider so that it takes less hdd space and I would be still happy even if it would cause me to watch live in less quality too.

It seems like 1 hour of 4k video takes at least 32gb, it means it will fill 1tb hdd in just about 32 hours, I record tv shows at least for 2.5-3 hours a day so it means I have to transfer 1tb video to Pc and compress them at most every 10 days...I am currently recording Tv shows using an old stand-alone dvd-recorder, it has it's own disadvantages certainly but I am not sure if I will be able to transfer 1 tb video to pc and compress it at most every 10 days.I am writing this because I am really hoping that I am missing out something(I haven't owned a pvr yet)

And if I don't compress the files, well it would be too much expensive to buy a new hdd every 10 days ;)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. Alexwilmac

Alexwilmac Vip

Michael_Knight likes this.
  3. Michael_Knight

Thanks for your answer.I am glad to learn that a 1 hour video 4k video takes 10-12gb actually, it's much better than 32gb for sure.

How can I record in FullHD instead of 4k?I think the provider which I will buy their CI module publishes my favourite channels only in 4k unfortunately and some of these channels are provided by only this provider.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  4. Alexwilmac

Alexwilmac Vip

Hmmm... obviously, there is no option to change resolution. I meant, indeed, you should choose the FullHD version of the channel. But you say there isn't... I find it very, very strange. What channels and what satellite are you talking about? I don't think some broadcaster can choose only the 4K for a channel: how many people would they serve?

5. Michael_Knight

Thanks for your answer.You are right, after searching more, I found CI modules for Hd option without 4k, by the same provider.

Alexwilmac likes this.
  6. Alexwilmac

Alexwilmac Vip

Yes, it would be counterproductive for a broadcaster to have only 4K channels. Many of them, if not almost all, have still also the SD version... ;)