How much does a 4k video take hdd space approximately?

Michael_Knight

Vu+ Newbie
How much hdd space does a 1 hour 4k video recorded by Vu+ 4k take approximately?Is there a way to reduce the quality of the video coming from the provider so that it takes less hdd space and I would be still happy even if it would cause me to watch live in less quality too.

It seems like 1 hour of 4k video takes at least 32gb, it means it will fill 1tb hdd in just about 32 hours, I record tv shows at least for 2.5-3 hours a day so it means I have to transfer 1tb video to Pc and compress them at most every 10 days...I am currently recording Tv shows using an old stand-alone dvd-recorder, it has it's own disadvantages certainly but I am not sure if I will be able to transfer 1 tb video to pc and compress it at most every 10 days.I am writing this because I am really hoping that I am missing out something(I haven't owned a pvr yet)

And if I don't compress the files, well it would be too much expensive to buy a new hdd every 10 days ;)

Last edited:

AlexWilMac

How much hdd space does a 1 hour 4k video recorded by Vu+ 4k take approximately?

Obviously, it is not possible a perfect answer but, approximately, 10-12 Gb.

Is there a way to reduce the quality of the video coming from the provider so that it takes less hdd space and I would be still happy even if it would cause me to watch live in less quality too.

No.

It seems like 1 hour of 4k video takes at least 32gb,

Not in my experience with VU+.

it means it will fill 1tb hdd in just about 32 hours, I record tv shows at least for 2.5-3 hours a day so it means I have to transfer 1tb video to Pc and compress them at most every 10 days...I am currently recording Tv shows using an old stand-alone dvd-recorder, it has it's own disadvantages certainly but I am not sure if I will be able to transfer 1 tb video to pc and compress it at most every 10 days.I am writing this because I am really hoping that I am missing out something(I haven't owned a pvr yet)

Sorry my asking: by "TV shows" you really mean TV shows? Or do you mean films, serial, and so on? Because, TV shows don't deserve, in my opinion, to be recorded in 4K.
Unfortunately, the 4K thing is like we started having 2M/pixel cameras, then 4 Megapixels, and so on: the higher the resolution, the bigger the files.
If you want to record in 4K, 1TB is like 12 Mpixels photocameras with a 1Gb of SD card ;)

You'll have to take a decision: either you buy a 12TB HDD or you accept to record in FullHD instead of 4K, or, also, you need to compress every recordings...
A lot of work: transferring, cutting, compressing...

And if I don't compress the files, well it would be too much expensive to buy a new hdd every 10 days ;)

Or a 12Tb every 12 days ;) Taken that your VU+ will read it (something not sure: until 2 or 3Tb there's surely no problems; more... I'm not sure.

Michael_Knight

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for your answer.I am glad to learn that a 1 hour video 4k video takes 10-12gb actually, it's much better than 32gb for sure.

You'll have to take a decision: either you buy a 12TB HDD or you accept to record in FullHD instead of 4K, or, also, you need to compress every recordings...
A lot of work: transferring, cutting, compressing...

How can I record in FullHD instead of 4k?I think the provider which I will buy their CI module publishes my favourite channels only in 4k unfortunately and some of these channels are provided by only this provider.

Last edited:

AlexWilMac

Hmmm... obviously, there is no option to change resolution. I meant, indeed, you should choose the FullHD version of the channel. But you say there isn't... I find it very, very strange. What channels and what satellite are you talking about? I don't think some broadcaster can choose only the 4K for a channel: how many people would they serve?