How to prevent auto-replacement of satellites.xml during updates?

Gold_66

Vu+ User
I keep my satellites.xml file always up to date with all the latest frequency additions/changes and delete all the satellites that I don't need for a minimum file size.
However, after every update my 'hand-made' satellites.xml gets replaced by a bigger and outdated one that mostly doesn't even contain latest frequencies which is annoying.
Is there a way to stop this? Could such option be added to pre-update screen?
Thanks.

isenguard

Vu+ Newbie
a simple solution would be backing up your xml file before image update.
an option to control updating the xml file during image update would be nice.

Gold_66

Vu+ User
a simple solution would be backing up your xml file before image update.
Yep, I always keep a backup copy of my xml file and send it back to box after updates but this is a very primitive solution.
I guess (and hope) an option to control this, could be implemented to update menu.

AlexWilMac

There are many file overwritten: for instance, I change the rec icon of L4L because I don't like the original. And it often gets overwritten. Or the keymap.xml when I was a BH user: I have my keymap.xml without the terrible behaviour of P+/P-.
You need to re-send by FTP your files. I simply added all the bookmarks needed to FZ to do that in a few seconds.

Gold_66

Vu+ User
I change the rec icon of L4L because I don't like the original. And it often gets overwritten.
Woah, even icons are being overwritten? But why, what's the point?
By a simple logic, only files that have been significantly changed should be updated, no?
I think even plugin and skin updates should be optional. :D

Tururu

BH Lover
@Gold_66
Cuando terminas de actualizar la imagen al receptor, cargas tú lista de canales con el orden de Favoritos que quieres, reinicia GUI, manda de nuevo tú lista de canales, luego reinicia el receptor completamente.
con Dreamset/DreamboxEdir por ejemplo.
Cuando reinicia el receptor estan los satelites que quieres y en el orden que quieres.
La diferencia realmente es de 1Mbs a 2 Mbs, no es mas.
----------
When you finish updating the image to the receiver, load your channel list with the order of Favorites you want, restart GUI, send your channel list again, then restart the receiver completely.
with Dreamset / DreamboxEdir for example.
When you restart the receiver there are the satellites you want and in the order you want.
The difference is really 1Mbs to 2 Mbs, it's not more.

AlexWilMac

Woah, even icons are being overwritten? But why, what's the point?
By a simple logic, only files that have been significantly changed should be updated, no?
I think even plugin and skin updates should be optional. :D

It was an example: I mentioned a specific case about L4L icons.

Gold_66

Vu+ User
@Tururu
Thanks for the suggestion, that's more or less what I do.
But what's more important than the size is that the new file that replaces my customised xml, is often outdated compared to mine.
Many new frequencies are mostly missing and some FEC/SR changes seem to be forgotten.
Even the names of satellites are so unnecessarily long that they often overflow from their designated areas in infobar and channel list! :p

Tururu

BH Lover
@Gold_66
new file that replaces my customised xml, is often outdated compared to mine.
Many new frequencies are mostly missing and some FEC/SR changes seem to be forgotten.
Siempre es asi por desgracias.
Las imagens nuevas, traen lo basico para todo el mundo, luego toca personalizar
Repetimos.

Al mandar tú lista de canales, mandas 2 ficheros muy inportantes.
Satellites.xml y lamedb.

Dentro estas todo lo que indicas:
Satellites.xml: Relacion de satelites y los tp's añadidos.
LamedB: Tiene todos los canales que tienes sintonizados.

Todo como lo quieres tener, para que los cambios esten OK, mandar lista de canales, reiniciar GUI, mandar de nuevo la lista de canales, ahora reiniciar completamente el receptor.
Es importande esta parte, son ficheros que se leen durante el arranque.
-------------
It is always like that because of misfortunes.
The new images, bring the basics for everyone, then touch customize
We repeat.

When you send your channel list, you send 2 very important files.
Satellites.xml and lamedb.

Inside these are all that you indicate:
Satellites.xml: Satellite relationship and the tp's added.
LamedB: It has all the channels you already have tuned.

All you want to have, so that the changes are OK, send list of channels, restart GUI, send again the list of channels, now completely restart the receiver.
It is important in this part, they are files that are read during startup.

Since 1996 loading my channel lists/Desde 1996 cargando mis listas de canales.a6701.gif
I do not have "lists", only "dumb"/No tengo "listas", solo "tontas".

el bandido

Vu+ User
I keep my satellites.xml file always up to date with all the latest frequency additions/changes and delete all the satellites that I don't need for a minimum file size.
However, after every update my 'hand-made' satellites.xml gets replaced by a bigger and outdated one that mostly doesn't even contain latest frequencies which is annoying.
Is there a way to stop this? Could such option be added to pre-update screen?
Thanks.
Install the satellites.xml into the /etc/enigma2 folder and Reboot. No need to do anything else!
Installing the satellites.xml file in this location will keep the file from being overwritten.

Reactions: fta

el bandido

Vu+ User
What image are you using?

This solution works for a lot of people. I have used it for years.

Google search "satellites.xml in etc/enigma2" without the quotes.

Gold_66

Vu+ User
Install the satellites.xml into the /etc/enigma2 folder and Reboot. No need to do anything else!
LOL, only after a week I notice that it's etc/enigma2 and not etc/tuxbox !
I urgently need to take steps about this lack of attention. :p
This was new to me and it really works, thank you for this suggestion.