How to setup your Vu+ for recording on USB

stathis

Vu+ Newbie
I had similar problem with my Vu Uno. Now solved the problem by pointing my Kingstom 16gb pen drive as HDD. Pen drive is not fast enough and I get a little picture break sometime, but works good enough. My box image is BH 2.0.3
Thanks Spart . I have the same image 2.0.3 in solo 2 but the problem remains so i will buy hdd because i cant find what is wrong.
Please tell the model of kingston 16gb you have

Supermario

Vu+ User
Hi Guys

I need your help. I have tried to read this thread of HOW TO.
I am trying to record some thing. I am not much into recording but just want to try.
FYI - before my VU+duo, I had a DM-7020S and never installed a Hard-disk on it. Now too I don’t have a HD installed on my VU+duo.

I have BH 2.0.3 installed in Flash. I have also installed BH 2.0.3 on meoboot with 4 GB USB (rear1) where all my plugins, picons…etc are located.

Now for doing some recording - I have a WD 500GB pocket HD and also a 16GB USB stick.
I want to use one of these for the recording. Can I mount one of these using Devices Manager for recording in the (rear2) USB port? Before mounting do I format the same with EXT3?

Please guide me in the right direction.

Thank for your help

K/Rgds
Supermario

paolino

Vu+ User+++
Yes, you can use and mount on 2nd rear USB port.
Your 16 GB stick could be slow for HD recordings, your HDD will need external power source.
Try at first with USB stick to understand, how it will work.

Supermario

Vu+ User
Tks Paolino
The WD 500GB HD is pocket type with USB connection (no external Power supply connector) which I connect to my PC as well as DVD Players for playing movies via USB port. Anyway, I will first try the 16 GB pen drive and see how it works - Do I have to format it with EXT3?. B-t-w, I have to mount it as media/USB and make a folder "movies" as described in this thread - 1st post :)

K/Rgds

Supermario

Vu+ User
Hi

Forgot to mention this in the earlier post.
Since I already have USB 4gb mounted as media/usb (Rear1) port, making another media/usb (Rear2) will not make a conflict naming both rear USB ports as "media/usb ?
Tks

Supermario

Vu+ User
Hi Guys

1. I have mounted 4GB USB (Rear1) for meoboot, picon ...etc.
2. I am trying to mount 8 GB USB (Rear2) for movies
a) mounted (rear2) using device manager /media/usb = rebooted and it is saying NOT MAPPED., Then I tried /media/hdd
b) menu-setup/system/customize/expert
c) menu-setup/system/recording paths = here I can see : default movie location /hdd/movies/ ; Time record location = default..; instant record location = default...; Timeshift location = /media/hdd/

when I click OK (green button) I get message : The directory /hdd/movie/is not writable. Make sure you select a writable directory instead.

Pls assist

Supermario

Vu+ User
Hi Guys

I already have one 4 GB usb in rear1 mounted as media/usb for meoboot/picon..etc. I want to mount a 16 GB usb in rear2 as mentioned above for movies.
I am stuck as mentioned above. Is it possible to mounted the usb as media/hdd for recording movies?
Can someone guide me please.

Tks

Hi Guys

I already have one 4 GB usb in rear1 mounted as media/usb for meoboot/picon..etc. I want to mount a 16 GB usb in rear2 as mentioned above for movies.
I am stuck as mentioned above. Is it possible to mounted the usb as media/hdd for recording movies?
Can someone guide me please.

Tks

format your 16GB usb stick first using USB format wizard (2x blue) then mount it as hdd

vupiu

Vu+ Newbie
Hello everyone.

First of all, thanks a lot, excellent guide.

I did manage to record on a 32GB pen drive after I formatted it in the box and then used telnet to create the movie folder and chmod-it 777.

My problems are two:

1. I don't know how to unmount the USB stick from the box - I just have to remove it when I don't want to use it anymore and I don't know if this could damage the stick
2. If I indeed remove and then re-insert the USB stick, the write permissions on the folder /media/usb/movie are lost! That is, if I go in setup > recording paths and click the green button OK without changing anything, I get the red error window about /media/usb/movie not writable.

How can I solve these two problems, especially #2? :)

Thanks!

hassanen

Vu+ Newbie
Mount your usb stick by Devices Manager as /media/usb
Blue Panel > Black Hole Settings > Devices Manager > Mountpoints ...
i followed the step but in device manager i se my usb kingston data draveler but i cant mount it to media/usb

only media/cf media/card media/mmc1 media/video what im doing wrong i cant find media/usb

dominator

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Guys,

I have recently got my first Vu box and I am very happy with it but........
I really need some help to try and get my hard drive setup to record, my box is a Vu+ solo running black hole 2.0.7.3

I have tried two different hard drives by the method shown on page 1, firstly a 1tb USB powered seagate drive and now a 320gb WD hard drive with power supply, both have not worked.
I can see them in USB format wizard, and i follow the procedure to create the partition and format the drive using 'ext3' the system spends a few hours formatting the drive and then i get a message saying:
'The box will be now restarted to generate a new device UID. Don't forget to remap your device after the reboot. Press OK to continue.'

But nothing happens when i press OK or exit, the box does nothing. I have switched it off/on at the mains, but it didn't help. I have also left it with this message on the screen and the box eventually reboots itself after about 1hr, but again the hard drive does not work!

Also when i go into menu->setup->system->hard drive and try to initialize the hard drive i get the following message:
'Unable to initialize hard drive. Error: creating partition failed.'
I'm guessing this is because it hasn't been setup properly??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks