How to update frequencies parameters

acebluedolphin

Vu+ Newbie
As a lack of useful information about how to update frequencies in Enigma 2, I've decided to create a new post here to make it clear and straight.

The best and easiest way to update your channels quickly is to get the latest updated satellites.xml file (for example from "http://satellites-xml.org") and doing an automatic search without clearing stored channels, but one problem which I face every time is that there are some frequencies which don't appear in the new list and if you download the new satellites.xml file and do a new search, those channels will be deleted after a fresh restart and boot.

To solve this issue, here is my solution. First, you need two software: dreamset ("https://www.dreamset-editor.com/dreamset-download") and an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) software like FileZilla or anything you feel comfortable with that. You can also use dreamset as there is an FTP session under the tools menu.

1- Download the latest satellites.xml file from any source you want or from the website mentioned above. Save it in a place which you can find it easily later.

2- Open dreamset software and connect to your receiver then read receiver's settings by clicking on plug shape in the toolbar. Create a back up in a new folder by selecting File --> Save As... (do not give a name as the software will do it). This step is for when you make any mistake; then you can revert back everything to its initial state.

3- Now open FTP software and transfer the newly downloaded satellites.xml file to your receiver (inside /etc/tuxbox/ folder).

4- Reboot your receiver.

5- Now do an "Automatic Search" without clearing before search (its very important as if you have a channel which its frequency is not in the new satellites.xml file, then you'll lose it and you have to add it manually later).

6- When the search is finished, reread your receiver's setting with dreamset by clicking on the plug shape icon. Now select "Edit Settings" tab. Here you can choose each satellite separately. Select first satellite and click on the magic wand icon to update the satellite transponder list.

7- Do step 6 for all of your satellites.

8- Click on the plug icon again and now select "Write" to apply updated transponders and wait for the receiver to be restarted entirely.

That's all. Now you have updated services with all old working frequencies.

AlexWilMac

Apart from the fact that is not clear enough what this procedure is meant for, I think that the main problem users have is another one and precisely this:
Each time I perform a manual scan and I choose to delete channels before it (in order to get rid of old transponders not in use any longer) if I use an optimized satellites.xml file (I use the same website you posted: but next time don't post live URLs and use instead the "code, /code" tags between []) it happens a mess.
Many channels in the bouquets are shown as <n/a>, probably because added to my bouquets when the satellite.xml was the original one from the image or a different one. The frequencies of those <n/a> are right but, clearly, their IDs or references are different in the bouquets than in the whole list.
Actually, my suspect is that, even if I use my own customized satellites.xml and it is prepared with the same 3 satellites I use, each time I update it from that website and I choose to delete channels before scanning, it messes the bouquets up.
This is the real problem: how to avoid that bouquets list are so depended on satellites.xml.