Motorized system, problem with SNR

MG83

Vu+ Newbie
Hi

I am a newbie here so apologies for the simple way which I will try to explain things....

After a huge storm, my SNR is 0% but when I pressed the east-west button on motor it worked. When I changed channel to a different satellite, the SNR returned to 0% and to fix this I had to press the east-west button. Seems that I'm having to go to the motor and press this everytime I want to change to a different satellite.

Anyone knows what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance

MG83

Vu+ Newbie
Sounds like your dish or dish motor is out of alignment. The storm may have moved these items a bit.
Thanks, this morning my supplier came to look at it and he connected a device to the motor and said its not an alignment problem.

Funnily it worked in front of him! As soon as he left we changed channel on same sat and it worked. Only when I changed satellite I realized that the problem was still there.

Any ideas?

Robocop1967

Vu+ User
Hello mate.It sounds too obvious but it sounds like your dish needs setting up again.First of all check your pole to see if its plumb as it looks like you are missing the satellite arc.If it is not straight then you are going to miss the sats every time you change channel as the motor will go to a preset position that won't be correct until you get everything right.My post has overlapped the previous post.Mods delete if neccessary

MG83

Vu+ Newbie
Ok Robocop, thanks for that.
Here comes the million dollar question...how do I set the dish again ? :) :)

Robocop1967

Vu+ User
Obviously it's a bit dark now but the first thing I would've done after the storm and you realised the problem is put a spirit level on the mounting pole to see if it was still perfectly plumb.If it's not then make the necessary adjustments to the brackets and then tighten them up.If everything was ok before the wind and if you are lucky the dish might be ok and it might just be the mount.If not,get back to us and we'll help you out ,no problem

MG83

Vu+ Newbie
Obviously it's a bit dark now but the first thing I would've done after the storm and you realised the problem is put a spirit level on the mounting pole to see if it was still perfectly plumb.If it's not then make the necessary adjustments to the brackets and then tighten them up.If everything was ok before the wind and if you are lucky the dish might be ok and it might just be the mount.If not,get back to us and we'll help you out ,no problem

The guy that came to see it this morning, used a spirit level and said it's looking fine. There seems to be some slack in the motor but cannot tighten the bolt cause it's badly corroded :( Anyway, the supplier this morning said that amount of slack is acceptable. The storm was bad but the dish is sheltered behind a low wall. I might have moved or turned but do not think there could be any physical damage.
Any help would be appreciated.

Robocop1967

Vu+ User
He cannot be up to much if he hasn't tested it properly before he left! Let's start at the beginning.What box,image etc are you using?

Mick12334

If using USALS you can change your longitude to adjust for any movement, of the dish/motor, but this will not remedy the fact that something has changed.
You can switch to Diseqc 1.2, and manually move your dish, using the menu options, then store each satellite, when you have the maximum quality reading.
Your installer doesn't sound too helpful as he should not only have checked the pole, but also the dish/motor, LNB, brackets, and all cables, then used your receiver to check if the dish was still aligned, to track the arc, and working correctly.
If you read some dish setup guides you should be able to do most of this yourself, and if you get stuck other members will quickly help you out.
First I would check your Latitude, and Longitude, you can use sites like dishpointer.com to find your correct latitude, and longitude, just remember - longitude readings = West if there isn't a - sign before it then it = East.

MG83

Vu+ Newbie
If using USALS you can change your longitude to adjust for any movement, of the dish/motor, but this will not remedy the fact that something has changed.
You can switch to Diseqc 1.2, and manually move your dish, using the menu options, then store each satellite, when you have the maximum quality reading.
Your installer doesn't sound too helpful as he should not only have checked the pole, but also the dish/motor, LNB, brackets, and all cables, then used your receiver to check if the dish was still aligned, to track the arc, and working correctly.
If you read some dish setup guides you should be able to do most of this yourself, and if you get stuck other members will quickly help you out.
First I would check your Latitude, and Longitude, you can use sites like dishpointer.com to find your correct latitude, and longitude, just remember - longitude readings = West if there isn't a - sign before it then it = East.

Tried playing with longitude already mate. Did not work.
What is Diseqc 1.2 ? Any particular dish set up guide you recommend ?

Mick12334

Diseqc 1.2 is just a method of manually positioning your dish then storing the satellite position.
From memory, go into Tuner option and change to Advanced, select LNB 1, the satellite you want to save, like Astra 1, 19.2E, select Diseqc 1.2 option, scroll down to set Use Usals to No, then store a number, e.g. 001.
Save this, then go into the motor setup menu and move the dish East/West, using the options, until you get the strongest signal possible, then save this to the corresponding position, 001.
Do this for all your other satellites, changing the stored number, 002, 003, etc..
Once set up it will work the same as Usals, every time you select a channel the dish will move to the satellites stored position.
If you can't get a decent signal, on some of the weaker satellites, it shows your dish, or pole, has moved, and needs physically re-aligning.

Robocop1967

Vu+ User
To keep things simple,you MUST have your dish set up properly first as all those brain scrambling instructions will be irrelevant.Usals is probably the best way to go for a beginner in my opinion but as already stated it will just not work unless everything is spot on with the dish.There are loads of good guides with vids all over the net to help you along the way.Your favourite search engine is you're best friend!And as for badly corroded bolts that won't tighten??Doesn't sound good to me as everything needs to be solid.