Newbie set-up help and questions

Adam81

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Guys

I'm in the process of ditching SKY and the cable subscriptions. My current setup is NVIDIA Shield in which i have Netflix, Amazon, various catch up TV apps, YouTube and Plex (to watch my films) and i have this hooked up to my Samsung 1TB SSD that i use as extra internal storage due to the Shield only having 16gb. I also have the Shield connected to my network so that i can drop anything onto the shield from my PC

This current setup works great but i now want to integrate live TV through a platform like Plex/Emby and was looking at the HDHomerun, unfortunately the TV aerial on my house is the old analogue format and without going and changing this i wanted to use the SKY dish and its cables to access over air FreeSat channels. Of course this won’t work on the HDHomeRun due to the connections.

Whilst i could simply get a FreeSat recorder box i wanted to look into a box that would work similar to HomeRun and its network but utilise my satellite cables.

The questions are:

Can a Vu+ box connect to my home network through my satellite cables and provide the Freesat channels

Can i record on the Vu+ box and utilise my SSD connected to my shield

Can i watch Freesat through the Vu+ box in other rooms that don’t have a box (can this be done through Plex?)

If all of the above can be done what Vu box would be most suitable for my needs?

Sorry for all the questions but any expert help in this area would be great!

Thanks in advance

Adam

Mick12334

VU+ receivers are Linux based, but I'm not 100% certain of what you require.
They do have a satellite tuner, and you can add an inbuilt terrestrial/cable tuner, or USB tuners, depending on the model, and your requirements.
They can also be viewed, controlled, from other devices, like PC's, connected to your network, and even outside, when set up correctly, using openwebif.
Newer VU+ models have a caddy, that holds a hard drive, so can slide in/out, with which you can record, and even download KODI streams.

Check out the various models, on the VU+ website, to see which best suits your needs:
Code:
http://vuplus.com/sub/main.php