OBH 4.3 crashing when in open multiboot

MickyMac

Vu+ Newbie
On my Vu+ Solo 4K using Blackhole 3.0.9L (BH) I installed Open Multiboot (OMB) and put Open Blackhole (OBH) 4.3.0.27 on a 2 partition 16Gb USB stick.

BH works well and has no problems at all. Especially, Internet and LAN work well.

When I run OBH I can watch TV channels as normal but I cannot get access to my LAN network.

- Every time I go to configure the LAN, the option “user interface” is on NO. Every time I have to change that to YES. Using DHCP or not, when I do a network test I get “network disconnected”; “IP address unconfirmed”; “Name server unconfirmed”.

- When I do “scan wireless networks” the VU+ crashes. A reference to python 2.7 is shown on screen in about 10 lines of errors.

- I have tried the network wizard as well with rthe same results.

Back in BH is notice that all my EPG data is no longer showing and I have to re scan to get it back.

The USB is formatted in ext4 by BH with 2 partitions. I thought my BH EPG would be on partition 1 and OBH on partion 2.

Questions:

1. Can OBH run in OMB with BH in flash?

2. Network is easily connected to in BH. When running OBH from the USB, the network is not available. Is this normal?

3. I have 2 partitions mounted on the USB stick, sdb1 and sdb2. When I configure EPG (in BH) I can only choose media/usb and cannot specify sdb1 or sbd2. Using File browser: USB Stick shows me crossepg, lost+found, open-multiboot, open-multiboot-upload, epg.dat.loading. So how do I get my EPG on (say) sdb1 and OMB on sdb,2?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

AlexWilMac

First of all: have you updated OBH? It's now at .035 release.
Second: I think you love a risky life, deciding to partition a USB stick for such a delicate task as OMB.
If I were you, I wouldn't do so but I'd use a device only for OMB. You can also use your HDD for OMB, in case you don't want to connect two USB sticks to your Solo.
And, finally: does your wifi router has a password with special characters? Sometime this is a problem.

MickyMac

Vu+ Newbie
First of all: have you updated OBH? It's now at .035 release.
Second: I think you love a risky life, deciding to partition a USB stick for such a delicate task as OMB.
If I were you, I wouldn't do so but I'd use a device only for OMB. You can also use your HDD for OMB, in case you don't want to connect two USB sticks to your Solo.
And, finally: does your wifi router has a password with special characters? Sometime this is a problem.

Thanks for your reply.
Without an internet connection I cannot update to OBH 4.3.0.35. I have searched but can only find 4.3.0.27. The main problem is that I cannot access my LAN or the internet so online update or ftp is out. Only a new .zip is possible, overriding the installed version. That also means a new scan of all my 4 satellites (about 45 minutes)

Can you find a link for downloading OBH 4.3.0.35? Please post if found.

My WiFi router password key does not contain any special characters.

When I get things going I will reconsider using two USB dongles or the disk for my EPG.

AlexWilMac

There is no offline installer for each release. If you can't use a cable to connect to your router, maybe you might consider to use powerlines, which are much more effective that wifi and which don't need any driver.

I think you have an issue with the driver needed to be installed for your wifi dongle. Blackhole have more drivers installed by default.
So like Alex is writing you need a cable connection so you can go online and install the correct driver for your wifi dongle.

And you really dont need to do any new scan after you installe an image in OMB, Just use OpenWebIf and save your channel bouquets to your computer from your allredy setup Blackhole image.
The just restore with OpenWebIf, setup your tuners and all is working just fine without the need for scan :)
This can also be done with E-Channelizer or Dreambox Edit,

MickyMac

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for the suggestions.

Catch 22. To "The just restore with OpenWebIf" or "also be done with E-Channelizer or Dreambox Edit" both need a network connection which I cannot (yet) get to work;)

I am going to try and find a very looong Ethernet cable to join my box to the router.

Question?: When you download an image (in zip), surely all the necessary drivers are embedded, including network drivers? Seems logical to me since the whole purpose of (the new improved) Open Multiboot is to separate drivers etc. from each image.

I'm not sure that the suggestion of missing drivers is so valid, as surely each version of an image is complete in itself and is runnable and has all the necessary drivers etc.?

And say I do make a successful connection between router and box, which drivers should I download and how?

I searched the Site and it seems I am the only one with this problem. I wonder if there is something else other than drivers which is causing the problems.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

AlexWilMac

No, is not like you think.
As already written, BH and OBH have a completely different philosophy:
-BH does not have a GUI driver section (you need to use the command line, in case, to download a driver) but it has got many already built-in drivers. So, if you don't know the driver's package name or you don't know how to use the command line, you can't add (or delete) anything.
-OBH has got only some drivers already built-in, but you have a driver section where you can add or delete them by the GUI itself. This means OBH is lighter and leaves you free to manage the drivers you need. Some other open images are much poorer as far as the driver (and other plugins) already built-in are concerned (for instance OpenPLI needs you to install a lot of stuff).

And no: the zip offline installers files and OMB are in no way related: you install exactly the same image by them, either in flash or in OMB.
OMB is only a manager to load in flash only the needed kernel and then you use your HDD or USB omb device as it was the flash: nothing changes.

I repeat that powerlines are the smarter solution nowadys to get rid of wifi-related issues (drivers, interferences, slow transfer speed...).

Matrix10

Administrator
It seems to me that WIFI does not work if OBH is in OMB
I tested with Duo 4K (with USE DHCP)
It’s weird that he got Primary and Secondary DNS (Maybe from my wired network)
but not the IP address, subnet and gateway.
It is also not possible to do a WIFI scan.He finds nothing.

Last edited:

AlexWilMac

I don't know if this is a Duo4K issue but surely not an OMB one because in my Solo4K I tried it after ages and it works flawlessly.

I assume that an old dog like you now that often you need a full reboot for the WiFi to work after you enter your settings
Or does it not work at all ??

MickyMac

Vu+ Newbie
Thank you all for your contributions but I am stopping my experiment with OBH under OMB.
Reason:
I had two partitions on my USB stick. Using OBH under OMB I tried to reformat the USB stick to get rid of the partitioning. Result was a complete hang of the system. A power off and on did not solve the hang up. The screen showed that it was starting up an image (BH or OBK???, probably BH) and then just sat there for more than an hour. I tried everything I could think of to get an image to boot up without success.
That meant that I had to re flash BH from scratch, update the image online and download addons etc. after reconfiguring the network.
In short, a lot of work all because I tried to reformat a USB stick!

I do not know what the problem is, perhaps it is my Vu+ Solo 4K box which has a problem, perhaps it is running OBH under OMB that is the problem. In short, I am terminating my experiment.
Thanks again for your input.

AlexWilMac

What? You formatted the same device where you O.S. resided and you think this is without consequences?
Nobody here told you to do such a thing, only to use a non partitioned device for OMB!
Of course your boxes struggled to boot: you had destroyed the OMB configuration without even telling it.
If, at least, you had chosen to delete the image, before and to use flash, it would boot immediately.
And, anyway, if you disconnect the omb device, the box boots up just looking for it and, as it can't find it, it boots from flash. You surely was too in a hurry to wait 2 minutes instead of a few seconds.
And, finally, if you had at least backed-up your image in omb, you would be able to immediately have everything back after having set up the "new" omb" device.
I've been using OMB for years, now, and it's a blessing. ANd I even use my favourite image, OBH, just from OMB despite I might use it from flash.

You made a lot of mistakes but, hopefully, we learn more from mistakes.

Matrix10

Administrator
A similar thing happened to me. With a computer.
Not that I didn’t know, but the tool wasn’t good, or I didn’t read everything :wallbash:
I wanted to increase the C partition but the tool formatted the C
before that.
And of course I had to reinstall everything that cost me a few hours of work

:lamo:

@MickyMac

Next time for all these actions go first to flash image
install, uninstall, format, etc.

Last edited:

Matrix10

Administrator
I assume that an old dog like you now that often you need a full reboot for the WiFi to work after you enter your settings
Or does it not work at all ??

The old dog doesn't help either :D ,when something doesn't work.
I don't know what the problem is.
In OBH/USB Wifi does not see wifi networks
OBH/OMB on Duo 4K wifi doesn't work and even has an effect on the wifi configuration in flash BH.
In order to make work Wifi in BH again, I had to restart the image.

Something strange is happening (Duo 4K)
when BH or OBH is in flash and vice versa

This is my dog :D

Attachments

• daisy.jpg
    daisy.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 6

AlexWilMac

So, it wasn't me strange claiming, weeks ago, that Duo4K is the VU+ that does the oddest things! Maybe we should name it VU+Naughty4K :D

p.rodrigues

Vu+ User
I confirm: Duo 4K, OBH on flash and BH on OMB connection via wifi is not possible ....

It recognizes the network but simply does not connect.

p.rodrigues

Vu+ User
I confirm: Duo 4K, OBH on flash and BH on OMB connection via wifi is not possible ....

It recognizes the network but simply does not connect.

Apparently Ultimo 4K does not have this problem ... but whoever has one is to test it and put the result here.