OBH installed on the HDD

AlexWilMac

I think I read somewhere two facts about OBH:
1) it is advisable to install it in the HDD (by Openmultiboot, of course) because it would run too slowly; but I tried and it is not slow at all, at least with a WD Purple.
2) If installed not in flash or in a USB, it is not possible to update it online

Am I wrong about this two items?

Actually, after installing it in the HDD, I tried to update it but the reboot did not get past the bootlogo and it got stuck in the "Booting" stage.

AlexWilMac

Unfortunately I can confirm that, after installing it from scratch and updated online, OBH run through openmultiboot in the HDD, does not boot any longer. It's a pity because this image seems to be very promising but it's not ready to be used as the main one.

50_lire

Vu+ User
Wrong. I have installed OBH as main image in my Solo2 and in multiboot on a usb drive (not in my hdd) with other images (Black Hole, OpenPLi, etc.) with no problems and can update online.
It's better install multiboot on a usb drive than on a disk drive for lower power consumption and rumour, so hdd is always running...

AlexWilMac

I don't want to waste a USB: there are only two and one is already used by an additional tuner. HDDs are no longer expensive and these ones I use are made to work harder with video PVRs.
What do you mean by "main image"? As I understand well your post, you have BH in flash and OBH in USB.
Anyway, as I said, I've tried three times to update it and the process has never succeeded. I'll wait for a newer version: there's no need to experiment when you have little spare time... ;) OBH is not ready to work hard, in my opinion but it's very, very promising.

50_lire

Vu+ User
I have installed OBH in flash since it was published and at the same time I've installed other images on a usb stick and normally I use OBH in multiboot.

nunigaia

I don't want to waste a USB: there are only two and one is already used by an additional tuner. HDDs are no longer expensive and these ones I use are made to work harder with video PVRs.
What do you mean by "main image"? As I understand well your post, you have BH in flash and OBH in USB.
Anyway, as I said, I've tried three times to update it and the process has never succeeded. I'll wait for a newer version: there's no need to experiment when you have little spare time... ;) OBH is not ready to work hard, in my opinion but it's very, very promising.

Duo2 has 3 USB ports ... don´t forget the front one!

AlexWilMac

Yes, only the front one has some issue with my... little daughter ;) And anyway, apart from ethical questions, what really makes the difference between installing in USB pen or in the HDD? If I understand correctly, the issues in online upgrading don't occur only if OBH it is installed in flash, something I don't consider smart at the moment. Or if installed in USB prevents from issues?

nunigaia

Yes, only the front one has some issue with my... little daughter ;) And anyway, apart from ethical questions, what really makes the difference between installing in USB pen or in the HDD? If I understand correctly, the issues in online upgrading don't occur only if OBH it is installed in flash, something I don't consider smart at the moment. Or if installed in USB prevents from issues?

HDD ( not SSD ), due continuous spinning it´s not recommended, of course if you want a silent system. The online upgrade should work, don´t matter if you use flash, usb or hdd ( in this both cases, using Open Multiboot ).

This information it´s not only for you, but with Duo2, you can flash it, even with the rear USB ports.

best regards
nunigaia