OpenBlackHole vs BlackHole

Lyze

Vu+ Newbie
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. I would like to give BlackHole / OpenBlackHole a go with my new Vu Uno4k SE. For that I got a few questions.

As I understand, BlackHole is based on VuPlus' Original Code, which uses an older toolchain. OpenBlackHole is based on OE Alliance code, which uses a newer toolchain but can't use certain vu+ features like FCC. Based on everything I've read, OpenBlackHole seems to be where most of the cutting edge development is happening. Is that assessment roughly correct? Is there a comparision between BH and OBH? What would you recommend to use on my new Vu Uno4k SE?

Lastly, I've seen the following thing mentioned in the release announcement posts:
IT IS RECOMMENDED TO ONLY USE BH 3.0.9.x IN OMB (OpenMultiboot) with Vu+ Solo, Duo, Uno models
Could someone explain a bit further? Am I going to get into trouble if I install directly to flash, not via Multiboot.

Thanks in advance. I really hope that I did not ask any stupid questions that are answered elsewhere in the forum

AlexWilMac

The question about a comparison between BH - OBH is a million dollar question...

Nothing is perfect on this earth and so there are pros and cons for both of them. This also means that the preference is the result not only of personal tastes but, above all, of personal needs.
Among the main features, yes, FCC is an exclusive of BH but is also true that OBH 4.3 made a significant improvement in the zapping time as well as in the picture quality.
Some time ago, I wrote something but, since then, OBH has made also some improvements, as I said. Also BH had improvements and new possibilities, of course, like the ServiceApp plugin which extends the playing file possibilities.
Anyway, as a starting point, maybe you can find my post useful:

https://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/why-i-prefer-obh-now-just-my-personal-view.36983/

But, as said, this choice is personal, very personal. I made it after some years of using BH and then an appropriate amount of time with both (using one in flash and one in OMB). Then I took a definitive decision.

About the OMB, this is only for those (old) models mentioned, not for yours.
Old models would be in huge difficulties to run recent BH images, as they have limited amount of flash and limited CPU power. So, installing a lighter image, like OBH in flash, allows to run BH from OMB, where there is at least virtually no limits in space.
This is because you substitute the real flash memory with the OMB device (USB stick or HDDs or SSDs).
But you don't need this.

Lyze

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks a lot. This clears things up to me. I guess I'll also test them both and see which one I prefer.

Regarding OMB: got it. I kind of suspected that it was due to limited flash, but wasn't sure if the warning was for the devices themselves, or for all device classes (e.g. Whether Vu Uno also encompasses the 4k and 4k SE Variants, now it's clear that that's not the case)