Problems with my vu+ duo

Cecil

Vu+ Newbie
Hi. I'm new on this forum and with these boxes.

I have had my box about 10 months now. Somebody set it up for me and I keep experiencing problems all the time.

I only use my box to watch TV. I'm just after some advice or help as I am not very clued up at all.

•If I've been watching TV a while, and try and switch the channel it doesn't work, so I have to turn off at the box and power back on.
•I have an older version of blackhole installed as newer versions wouldn't install correctly on my box?
•Am I better with blackhole or vix? Because there is always something giving me problems and I'm unable to fix them as I don't know how.

Thanks to anybody that takes the time to read this or respond, much appreciated.

Cecil

Vu+ Newbie
Oh sorry, I was half asleep when I read that, and read it wrong.

I'm useless with anything like this, the box was set up for me. I could flash my box( I think ) but that's about it.

What I want to do is put vix on it but after that I think I would be stuck. I only use it for watching TV so don't want to try and fail then be stuck

Mick12334

You have to help yourself, at least try.
There are lots of guides, on the forum, to aid you to set up, and use, your receiver.
The VU+ Duo is a Linux based receiver, it isn't a simple plug, & play, machine, you have to set it up as you want it to work.
From your limited explanation, of the fault, it could be software, or hardware, related, only you will know that.
The fact that somebody else set it up for you, is a bit concerning, and the fact that you haven't learned how to use it, makes me think that you might have a basic satellite knowledge, and only a fixed dish, probably on Sky UK, 28.2E, which also is troubling, unless you're just using it to view FTA, Free To Air, channels, and not any encrypted services.
Please readf the forum rules:
http://www.vuplus-community.net/rules.html

If your satellite set up doesn't break anyu of thse rules then please post back with more detailed information, if your questions do break the rules please search elsewhere, for your answers.
You might also want to read the guides:
http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/forums/vu-general-howto-guides.101/

http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/forums/black-hole-howto-guides.93/

http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/forums/newbies-questions-infos.102/

Cecil

Vu+ Newbie
It's just for free channels I use it for. I got this box on a recommendation, and I don't have contact with the person who recommended it to me.
I have a rough idea how to do certain things, but I havnt spent a massive amount of time on it, because there was nobody to teach me. Reading some of the instructions on these sites may as well be in Japanese to me.

I have often experienced problems with it. I was hoping to try and flash it myself and start again. But after that I think I'd be stuck.

If you could point me to the right post/thread it would be massively appreciated.

In hindsight I should never have bought this box as its way over my head, but now that I have it I want to at least try and get something back by using it.

Thanks for you're time.

Mick12334

What type of satellite system do you have?
A fixed dish, with sinle LNB, to pick up just one satellite?
A fixed dish, with multiple LNB's, to pick up a few satellites?
A Motorized dish that picks up numerous satellites?

Loading a new image, and setting up the receiver, is easy, for a fixed dish, on a single satellite, like Astra 2, 28.2E, as the setup guide will help you.

First off I would download some useful tools, starting with dreamboxedit:
http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/dreamboxedit.18975/
Download just the latest version.

Right click, on your PC, and set up a new folder, on your computer desktop, and name it Settings.
Unzip dreamboxedit, using Winrar, Winzip, or a free utility, like 7-zip, and install dreamboxedit.

Now you need to find your receivers IP Address, go into the menu, if running Black Hole, try Menmu, Setup, System, Network, Lan, and click on Adapter Settings, unless using a wireless setup, then click on WLAN, providing you have your receiver connected to your router.

Start up dreamboxedit, Click on Tools, and Options.
In the IP Address box type your receiver IP Address, and click on Save.
Now go to File, and click on Fast FTP Download.
You should now have all your receivers channels listed, click on the save icon and you can transfer tham back to your receiver, at any time.

Cecil

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for t
What type of satellite system do you have?
A fixed dish, with sinle LNB, to pick up just one satellite?
A fixed dish, with multiple LNB's, to pick up a few satellites?
A Motorized dish that picks up numerous satellites?

Loading a new image, and setting up the receiver, is easy, for a fixed dish, on a single satellite, like Astra 2, 28.2E, as the setup guide will help you.

First off I would download some useful tools, starting with dreamboxedit:
http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/dreamboxedit.18975/
Download just the latest version.

Right click, on your PC, and set up a new folder, on your computer desktop, and name it Settings.
Unzip dreamboxedit, using Winrar, Winzip, or a free utility, like 7-zip, and install dreamboxedit.

Now you need to find your receivers IP Address, go into the menu, if running Black Hole, try Menmu, Setup, System, Network, Lan, and click on Adapter Settings, unless using a wireless setup, then click on WLAN, providing you have your receiver connected to your router.

Start up dreamboxedit, Click on Tools, and Options.
In the IP Address box type your receiver IP Address, and click on Save.
Now go to File, and click on Fast FTP Download.
You should now have all your receivers channels listed, click on the save icon and you can transfer tham back to your receiver, at any time.

Thanks for you're help bud, really appreciate it. I'm on to the Fast FTP Download part. But want to make sure of something first. Will the IP address be the same as my laptops yes? Both from the same router. I can't check on my vu+ duo as its getting a green software problem on my screen, stopping me from getting on to my box.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 5

Cecil

Vu+ Newbie
You can try DCC, the Dreambox Control Centre, to help find your VU+ IP Address, providing it can gain access.
Start up DCC_E2.exe.
Click on the Suchen option, followed by the Suche option, and you should see your VU+ IP Address listed.
http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/dcc-e2-v1-41.3147/

Thanks. I will try that. Failing that, if I reflash my box, the green message should leave my screen, I would be able to find out once I've done it... I think. I'll try what you said first though as you know what you're talking about and I'm just guessing.

Mick12334

Before you do anything else can you please check your bootloader version, as you have never updated your receiver.
When you turn the power off, on your VU+, using the power switch, at teh rear, then turn it on again, you should get a scrolling message, very quickly, stating the CFE version.
You might need to update this, before loading one of the later versions of Black Hole, you do this the same way as loading an image.