Recording on VU Solo

avishafrir64

Vu+ Newbie
Hello everyone
I would like to connect HDD to my Solo 1 , I read all the threads regarding this issue and it helped me a lot but I am still not 100 % sure
I am using an Original Solo with BH 2.0.9 installed , I bought a new WD HDD 1TB with external
power supply. I was worried 2TB will be a problem for the solo but now I am begining to think I was wrong, am I ? May be I can replace it ...
Until now I used to record on a 64GB diskonkey which was formated as FAT32
(I know about the 4GB file size limit)
It Worked well until I formated it as EXT2 from the Solo. Started to get a lot of glitches during watching.
Now I want to connect HDD instead , I understand it is best to initialize (format) it from the Solo
and it will format it as EXT4 ? Is this the most recommended way ?
On BH 2.0.9 is NTFS still the worst option because of poor performance ?
It took about 10 minutes to format the 64GB memory as EXT2 and someone here wrote it took him
24 hours ! to format a 1TB HDD so is this what I should expect ?

Many Thanks :)

avishafrir64

Vu+ Newbie
@avishafrir64 : You can connect 2 TB HDD without problems, format in ext4, should take about 45 minutes.
Ntfs is read only.

Many thanks for your reply
In the past I tried also to format the 64GB memory from PC as NTFS and I succeded to record and play without problem. Not sure about the performance,
So if we ignore the read only issue which for some reason didn't influence me is there also a performance issue ?
I am asking because working with NTFS could be very convenient ...

avishafrir64

Vu+ Newbie
Hello again
A little bit confused about initializing and/or formating my 1 TB HDD
Disk was originally formatted ad NTFS. I connected it and it was recognized by device manager
I initialized it from menu/setup/system/hard drive
Took about 1 or 2 minities (suspiciously fast ?) I thougt I have to format it now using the USB format wizard but It was not recognized there.
Checked the HDD in my Laptop using "EXT volume manager" and found out it is formated as EXT3

Created folder movie using telnet, set all the recording paths and now I can record
My question is if this was the right procedure ? Only initialize is enough ? Why it didnt format as EXT4 ? (I am using BH 2.09)
Many Thanks

avishafrir64

Vu+ Newbie
OK , it seems that format wizard is for usb stick and the initialize option is for HDD
But again , why the initialize option formatted the HDD as EXT3 instead of EXT 4 ???