Solo2 Transcoding still poor quality

cyborgpunte

Vu+ User
After some emperical tests.
I stay put on default/original fps on my 50Hz system.
With my Iphones watching transcoded stream on cellnetwork.
And also defult/original bitrate fits my needs best.
So I'm as pleased as before

But I'm aware of that this transcoding issue depends on much more parameters. Don't know if I would be as pleased if I was watching transcoded stream on laptop/Ipads, for me that less important, because I then stream my SD channels. And all my HD chanels is also broadcasted in SD.

Max

BH Lover
After some emperical tests.
I stay put on default/original fps on my 50Hz system.
With my Iphones watching transcoded stream on cellnetwork.
And also defult/original bitrate fits my needs best.

Are you using the plugin posted by Shiro in post #87 in this thread or the new one posted here ?
I just re-checked driver/plugin update with same results.
Streaming a direct signal (no transcode) is fine on Wi-Fi/LAN.
With old driver/plugin, low quality but a/v plays in sync both in Wi-Fi/LAN and 3G.
With new drivers and Shiro's plugin, completely out of sync, video freeze every second, a lot of pixilation/blockyness and many many many transcoder crash. Stream stops and on VFD both icons still remain on. In this situation STB needs to be restarted, so if I'm streaming to my Andorid device out of home all is lost, cause there's no way to reboot STB due to a msg on VFD that need an OK to reboot cause of "running recordings".
Transcoded stream reported by VLC seems affected by different bitrate configuration, but it's completely useless, even if I set bitrate down to 400kbps just life the default value in old drivers.

Is there someone who can stream correctly at 25fps with a clean result ?
If yes... can you please share with me by PM your stream for a test ?

If needed tonight I can post a sample transcoded stream recorded using VLC, both with old and new drivers/plugins.

Thanks

Max

cyborgpunte

Vu+ User
atm I use latest drivers and first plugin with fps/bitrate support (not 25/50) still testing :)

And of course it's difficult to see outofsync lips on that little screen on my familie Iphones with 0player and cellnetwork (4, 4s, 5) valid for both english and my own language broadcasts.
But it passes my needs with flying colors.
But I have observed those outofsync lips on bigger screens,
but I don't transcode then I prefer streaming then.
Today I have 30/30 fiber
My streaming/transcoding experience comparisons comes from
earlier when I used (still have) a DB7200 with PliJade3 with Zapstream
and an old PC with windoze XP and VLC086c best one ever :)
transcoding/restreaming on my erlier internet connection Adsl2 25/2.
With comparable "shrinkfactor" as today.

BTW this goes for both Solo2 and DUO2 (for me)
but I use Solo2 because DUO2 kinda neighborhood, but tested.
BTW2 AKA edit : Mostly sports and not that much of lipsync there :)

Last edited:

Max

BH Lover
atm I use latest drivers and first plugin with fps/bitrate support (not 25/50) still testing :)

Thanks for your reply,
I'll try it tonight using different py.
About lipsync... in my case it's very easy to see, because I have about 6/8 seconds between video and audio so, in case of commecials, when I see a video, I hear audio from previous one...

Max

BH Lover
Finally I've found the reason of alll my troubles.
I reinstalled new drivers and this plugin.py.
Problems are related to framerate settings.
If I use 30000, 29970, 59940 or 60000 (all for NTSC) the transcoded stream is fine.
All other values (23976, 24000, 25000 or 50000, the stream is really unwatchable with a lot of freeze, pixilation, blockyness and audio out of sync.
The incoming TV SAT signal is 576/25fps interlaced (PAL).
Can someone please test changing framerate to 25000 or other non NTSC values and reports here results ?

Also, can someone please explain me what's the difference between this .py plugin and this one ?

Thanks

Last edited:

grenvil

Vu+ Newbie
Hi, thank you for your idea of testing with different framerates, I was stuck at 25000, where I observed the same as you, freezes, out of sync etc. Now with those NTSC framerates like 30000 I receive fine the transcoded stream both on my android mobile and on my laptop. There is one weird symptom though, the sound in the stream is not with my preferred language but the #1 audio stream of the transport stream is in the transcoded signal, what I am unable to change at this time.

VANT

Vu+ User
framerate 30 and 60 work ok for me, and i thing its really not 30 and 60 but 25 and 50 (imo bug in plugin), becouse source material, have 25Hz. Bitrate changes also work ok (i test on latest VTi with new plugin.py

Attachments

• plugin.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 52

Max

BH Lover
framerate 30 and 60 work ok for me, and i thing its really not 30 and 60 but 25 and 50 (imo bug in plugin), becouse source material, have 25Hz. Bitrate changes also work ok (i test on latest VTi with new plugin.py

Did you test it also in BH 2.0.5 Rev B ?
Where did you get your plugin ?

VANT

Vu+ User
@Max

today i will test on BH2.05b, but i think that will be same as in Your test - av desync, pixelation etc
when i change framerate (in VTi) to different values than 30-60 (24,25,50, 29 etc) i have also problem like You, so i think that we must wait for drivers update.

btw. i use dreamdroid app in my htc and this app have interested feature....we can watch transcoded stream on tv (transcoded stream is go back to vu)

Reactions: Max

Max

BH Lover
@VANT

Thanks for your report, I'm sure this is a bug in the latest drivers.
To all Solo2 owners, interested in the transcode feature: please drop a report on the Vu+ Support Page.
I left dreamdroid too much time ago, and now I'm using Vu+ Player on my Android devices.
It works fine, waiting for an update to fix some network problem.

Max

BH Lover
There is one weird symptom though, the sound in the stream is not with my preferred language but the #1 audio stream of the transport stream is in the transcoded signal, what I am unable to change at this time.

I just tested with Euronews and you're right, only the first audio stream is passed to the transcoder.
I'll try to report this problem both to Vu Support and Tillke (the Vu+Player creator), hope they will find a fix.

cyborgpunte

Vu+ User
I didn't succeded with this "audiostreams" either, when I was using VLC as transcoder/restreamer.
Solved then by a ugly workaround one m3u per provider of my 2 providers, in the marygoround batchfile.
So with a little bit of zapping on my phone, it was solved remotely.
So I think it still differ between providers what language 1:st audio stream is.

Hopefully they can fix it in the STB, (but my sports broadcasts are in preferably language for me)

mrkrabs

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for all the updates guys. I haven't been on here in a while and it's good to see that Vu have added the ability to change transcoding bitrate on the Solo2! I've updated the Tronscoding plugin and also the drivers. Is 1Mb the maximum bitrate? Don't get me wrong; it's miles better than before but even 2Mb would be really nice indeed!

Max

BH Lover
I think 1Mbps is related to the hardware feature.
I hope they will also add audio bitrate setting. After very long test, I noticed that audio trascoded stream is about 200 kbps.
Bitate setting is valid only for video, so if you set 0600000 you have to add 200 for audio, and the final stream will be 800 kbps (the max speed my ISP support in upload without freeze).
So, audio bitrate is near 30% of the video stream, very unbalanced mux.
Audio can be reduced to 128 or 96 kbps, gaining other kbps for video stream.

mrkrabs

Vu+ Newbie
AT LAST! Yes now you can change the default values of the transcode! The plugin now gives the oportunity to change the values of the Bitrate (from 100kbps - 500kbps - 1M - 1,5M, 2M, ... to 5Mbps) and of the Framerate (23,976 - 24 - 29,970 - 30 - 59,940 - 60 fp)
Like the friend says above...

Bitrate seems to be limited to 1Mbps. There is no option to change it to 5Mbps in mine. Are you using a Solo2?

Petran

Vu+ Newbie
If you had install the modules from the link that you liked (thanks btw!) before the plugin update, you had that setting. After the update, MY SOLO2 transcode bitrate has also limited at 1Mbps...

look at post #100. from the first i notice the issue with the framerate at the new drivers on Solo2 and i inform for that..:cool:

Last edited:

cyborgpunte

Vu+ User
YES, it works thanks,
now over to test quality.

- Support non bcma encrypted PCMWAV in media playback
- Add missing entries in framerate_choices(duo2, solo2)
- Support 4 vtuners(duo2, solo2)
- Support transcoding in vtuner(duo2, solo2)

Reactions: Max