Switch not working reliably.

animalperson

Vu+ Newbie
The switch at the back doesn't always power on my vu+. It's quite finnicky in that you have to get a sort of balance between it being pressed in completely and it out a bit, for the power to run through it. And it's getting worse, sometimes it goes off automatically now.

From the pic in the attachment - it's a topdown picture, there's a red and a black wire going towards the switch, the red one turns black before it hits it.

I was wondering, and this might be a very stupid question - could I simply connect the two wires going into the switch before they ever enter it? Would that work? That would be a permanent and almost instant solution to the whole problem. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere.

Attachments

• vuswitch.jpg
    vuswitch.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 7

Mick12334

Why not leave the switch on, and turn it off/on at the plug?
The only time I use the switch, on the rear of my VU+ Duo2, is when I load a new version of Open Black Hole.

animalperson

Vu+ Newbie
Why not leave the switch on, and turn it off/on at the plug?
The only time I use the switch, on the rear of my VU+ Duo2, is when I load a new version of Open Black Hole.

I do leave the switch on and it's been in this situation for months. But lately the moment I move the device - or at this point a little draft seems to do it - the power gets cut and I have to work on the back switch to get it going again and staying on. (I know quickly power cycling on and off can do a lot of damage to some electrical equipment, good thing it doesn't seem to affect my vu+ or it would be dead long ago!). As I say it even went off by itself lately, it seems to be on its last legs now.

If the switch is nothing but a joining/separating of the two wires, then all I would have to do is cut the wires and join them on the outside.

Mick12334

If the switch is the faulty component, and not the wires, or circuit board, why not just replace the rocker switch, it should be quite cheap, and fairly easily located.

animalperson

Vu+ Newbie
If the switch is the faulty component, and not the wires, or circuit board, why not just replace the rocker switch, it should be quite cheap, and fairly easily located.

Good suggestion. I didn't know it was called that or that it would be so easily obtainable and replaceable.

Anyone know if I could just short the wires together?