TP-Link AC600 Archer T2U WiFi USB Support

Sente

Vu+ Newbie
Hello everybody.

I hope this is the right place to find help or a solution, so my apologies in advance in case it isn't.

I have a VU+Zero Sat Receiver with an Open Black Hole Image (4.1.033 release and drivers 2018-03-19).

Currently I have it connected to internet with a WiFi USB Adapter (a tp-link, I don't know exactly the model), but it only supports 2.4 G so I got another one, the TP-Link AC600 Archer T2U, for a 5 GHz support.

I plugged in this new one on an USB port with no success, even with the old one still plugged, hoping the image maybe automaticly download the proper driver to make it work. But it's not like that.

The question is. How can I know if this device is supported in this image or in another one? I've browsed in Add-on search section, and then in Drivers, but I cannot see a TP-Link driver. Maybe one of the listed is compatible with my new device, but I'm no sure about that.

My OBH image is not the latest, should I update it?

Thank you very much in advance.

AlexWilMac

TP-link, unfortunately, is a very cheap brand and it's not friend of O.S. different from the poor win...
There is no such a thing like "automatically" download but OBH is comfortable just because it has this real driver section you saw. In BH there is no chance to do that without using the command line.
You need to identify your device. As far as I found, it might use the chipset MT7610U, which is among the OBH 4.3 but I don't know if they were in the old 4.1. Apart from the drivers issue, I strongly recommend you to install the last version, because it has improved a lot of aspects: it's much faster at loading, at zapping, with many more useful graphic elements but, above all, improved the picture quality a lot. Save your channels, breathe... and start from scratch.

In this your search of a solution (I tell you without any intention to be not nice!) you made a lot of mistakes:
1) the brand TP-Link in itself: they imitates the D-Link brand name but they far more Chinese cheap products.
2) They love only the worst OS in the world, that's obviously the buggy and dangerous win.
3) the 3rd error was in the "philosophy": nowadays, wifi are not the only choice (particularly for non win O.S.) because they are slow and they need drivers. The powerlines are able to connect you a device to a router via the electrical system and outlets of your home. They are just a little bit more expensive, but faster and easier to use (no drivers are needed!)

Attachments

• MT7601u.jpg
    MT7601u.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 8

Sente

Vu+ Newbie
Hello @Alexwilmac !

First of all, I really appreciate you took your time to answer. Thanks a lot!

I will defintely update my OBH image to the latest version. I was thinking about it and after all you've said, I will definitely.

How can I know exactly the chipset of my device? Is there somekind of database about it or maybe I should plug in an operating system and run some hardware analyzer for it?

I'm fully thank you for pointing my mystakes. Certainly that's the best way to learn! :)
I know about the existence of PLC devices; actually I have a pair of them, but in this case If I finally don't get the USB device working, I prefer to use a ethernet cable between the router and VU+Zero (or in this case to a switch to send the signal not only to VU+Zero, but PS4 and RaspBerry either)

Thank you @Alexwilmac !

AlexWilMac

Cable is always cable: I supposed you couldn't use it!

I'm not sure about identifying the device: lsusb surely list your devices but it doesn't clearly tells which one is yours: maybe launching it twice, the first time without the adapter connected and the 2nd after having connected it, should lead you to the answer.
Actually, I do this simply attaching the device to a computer: both MacOs or win can tell you the hardware ID.

But, above all:did you try the driver I told you? The MT7601u? I found some info over the Internet. If it works, you have won.
I don't know if this driver was already present under OBH 4.1. But you really want to update it, won't you? ;)

Sente

Vu+ Newbie
Hello again @Alexwilmac !! Thanks again for your answer!!

Despite the chipset of my USB device, I think that I will update the OBH image of my box anyway. The thing is that I'm trying to make it following the two methods specified http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/open-blackhole-online-update.35824/ by EvO but with no success.

First, I tried the FTP method, overwriting upgrade.pyo file with the downloaded. Then I restarted the box with Standby an Restart option in Main Menu section. After that, in Main Menu -> Settings -> Update Software and after dowloading list of packages, Nothing to update message is obtained. Is here located the option or the utility that I must run to update the image? Or is maybe located in Add-ons -> Add-ons Finder -> Update Firmware? I tried in that way too, but when I press BLUE to download the latest firmware, a firmware not found message is shown.

I tried the telnet method too, with no success either, copying an pasting the instruction provided in the Update post. After that, box's restarted and then I tried both same things in the options menu as before, and no updates are available.

Is maybe the release of my OBH image too old for it? Is there other way to update and/or install the newest OBH image?

I've made two backups in Backup Menu; a Full Backup and a Settings Backup

I just can't wait for your reply! Thank you Alex!!

AlexWilMac

You can't "update" online from a version to another!
This is not an update but it's an upgrade.
Otherwise I wouldn't have told you that: "...Save your channels, breathe... and start from scratch".

Start from scratch means you have to reinstall everything with the installer in our Download section.