Usals Motor Problem.

fairsats

Vu+ User
The only thing left is to remove the dish and see what happens. I know you will do that when time/weather permits. Please let us know what the motor supplier says about this problem.

Hi Again
Just removed dish and all seems to work perfect from West Limit to East limt.
So its down to the weight of the dish,I will discuss this with supplier before I return...not expecting much as they are not technical.
Specifications:
  • Metal Main Gear & Gearbox, with LED Display
  • 20% Faster than previous model
  • Compatible with DiSEqC 1.2 - 1.3 / USALS Receivers
  • Drive Dish up to 1.4m at Very High Speed
Any advice you can give me from here would be most welcome.

I have a spare 90cm dish also that I could try.

fairsats

Vu+ User
Set up smaller dish....excellent...no problems with movement...
have to have a think about the next stage....weather really wicked.

el bandido

Vu+ User
Volts multiplied by amps = Power in watts.
18 volts X .350 amps = 6.3 watts. So you have only 6-7 watts of power to drive a ku motor under the best of conditions.
Gear reduction is the key to moving a dish bigger than 1 meter. Usually the increase in motor speed will result in less motor torque due to the gear reduction. The only way to keep torque and increase speed at the same time would be to improve the efficiency of the motor, which is not likely ti happen any time soon.

Dish Motor manufactures are always introducing something new for us to buy. The increase in motor stroke (80 degrees West, 80 degrees East) could allow us to receive more satellites, but it also makes the motor work extremely hard when it is moved close to either East or West limit. 70 0r 80 Degrees to 0 is a very steep climb for a Ku motor.

Most Ku motors do not advertise a weight limit. They only tell you what size dish the motor will handle and this is very misleading. I do not see any way that a DarkMotor or any other Ku motor could handle a 1.4 meter dish without publishing the dish weight rating for the motor.

Stab is the exception.
Stab publishes dish weight ratings for their motors. The maximum stroke on a Stab HH120 is around 65 degrees, and it moves real slow when compared to some other Ku motors. But for the Stab, slow movement = more torque, which equals the ability to move more weight!

I own a Geosat 1.2 meter dish. A Stab HH120 moved the Geosat 1.2 meter dish for many years before I retired it. I never had any real problems with the HH120, but it did get slower over a period of time.

The HH120 was replaced with a Powertec DG-380. The DG-380 is faster, and it moves farther in each direction than the Stab did, but it has gotten stuck a couple of times at 15W. We do not have much snow and ice here in Atlanta, Ga. The Dg-380 would be in trouble if I had the extra weight of snow or ice to deal with. Extremely cold weather will make a dish motor work harder too. I have tested other Ku motors with similar results.

The bottom line from me is if you want to move a 1.2 meter dish using a Ku motor then get a Stab HH120. This motor is not cheap, and it moves slow. But for moving weight, it is second to none. EB

fairsats

Vu+ User
Volts multiplied by amps = Power in watts.
18 volts X .350 amps = 6.3 watts. So you have only 6-7 watts of power to drive a ku motor under the best of conditions.
Gear reduction is the key to moving a dish bigger than 1 meter. Usually the increase in motor speed will result in less motor torque due to the gear reduction. The only way to keep torque and increase speed at the same time would be to improve the efficiency of the motor, which is not likely ti happen any time soon.

Dish Motor manufactures are always introducing something new for us to buy. The increase in motor stroke (80 degrees West, 80 degrees East) could allow us to receive more satellites, but it also makes the motor work extremely hard when it is moved close to either East or West limit. 70 0r 80 Degrees to 0 is a very steep climb for a Ku motor.

Most Ku motors do not advertise a weight limit. They only tell you what size dish the motor will handle and this is very misleading. I do not see any way that a DarkMotor or any other Ku motor could handle a 1.4 meter dish without publishing the dish weight rating for the motor.

Stab is the exception.
Stab publishes dish weight ratings for their motors. The maximum stroke on a Stab HH120 is around 65 degrees, and it moves real slow when compared to some other Ku motors. But for the Stab, slow movement = more torque, which equals the ability to move more weight!

I own a Geosat 1.2 meter dish. A Stab HH120 moved the Geosat 1.2 meter dish for many years before I retired it. I never had any real problems with the HH120, but it did get slower over a period of time.

The HH120 was replaced with a Powertec DG-380. The DG-380 is faster, and it moves farther in each direction than the Stab did, but it has gotten stuck a couple of times at 15W. We do not have much snow and ice here in Atlanta, Ga. The Dg-380 would be in trouble if I had the extra weight of snow or ice to deal with. Extremely cold weather will make a dish motor work harder too. I have tested other Ku motors with similar results.

The bottom line from me is if you want to move a 1.2 meter dish using a Ku motor then get a Stab HH120. This motor is not cheap, and it moves slow. But for moving weight, it is second to none. EB

Matrix10

Administrator
To add to this discussion
because few years ago I repaired my STAB HH120.

What can I say.
All of these manufacturers that I have seen use very bad motors inside
It resembles motors for old cassette radio.
That's the problem.
The strength and effectiveness of these motors is very bad.
In addition we should not forget that when the motor can not turn
antenna, or hard to turn severe antenna
Motor pull the great current that is also problematic for satellite receivers and on longer and bad cables voltage drop occurs.

The motor uses the maximal current when stop or difficult rotates
because of weight or something else.

In this case, in most cases dies component for bridged voltage
which turns the motor depending on the voltage polarization in one direction or another.

For max +- 1m dish HH120 will make your job
but agn all of these motors can be far better made.

Last edited: