USB powered eSata HDD for Solo SE

newtonthecat

Vu+ Newbie
I found a handy cable on amazon that let me make this super fast external eSata HDD which is powered from USB:

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrIk9magRBw

Edit: just realised there is a separate forum for hard disks, can an admin/mod move this please!

Last edited by a moderator:

nunigaia

I found a handy cable on amazon that let me make this super fast external eSata HDD which is powered from USB:

Edit: just realised there is a separate forum for hard disks, can an admin/mod move this please!

The thread was moved, at your ask, but next time, please don´t put directly on board "live external links".

best regards
nunigaia

AlexWilMac

It's nothing revolutionary. Actually, if I were you I wouldn't waste a USB port only to power a HDD. There are eSata boxes with external power adapter. But it's only my opinion.

newtonthecat

Vu+ Newbie
There are eSata boxes with external power adapter.

Maybe my point didn't come across properly! I didn't want to have to use an external power adapter. I am happy using up one of the two USB ports. Now I have the HDD for storage/timeshifting the only use I have of a USB port is for flashing images/updates, so it works for me and anyone else who doesn't want to use an external power adapter and wants Sata speed storage over USB 2. In fact, if you opt for a USB 2.0 portable HDD as most people will with a Solo SE who want to add storage then you'd be using a USB port anyway! Just my opinion anyway ;)

AlexWilMac

OK. My answer was for everyone because other might need the USB port free. And a USB box is not a eSata box, the type I was talking about and the one I had in my Duo2. ;)