Vu+ SoloSE-V2: first look and some tests

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
I don't intend to present here a review of the new Vu+ receiver SoloSE-V2 because this box, apart from the dual tuner, shares the same features of the SoloSE.

Not even I'm going to review the latest BH 2.1.6.1 nor the new Open BH, because these images have been already documented elsewhere and are actively discussed on the community.

Instead, the present thread is focused on testing the Dual DVB-S2 tuner correct operation and a brief and limited comparison among the original Vu+ image, the Black Hole and the Open Black Hole for which regards the compatibility with some DVB-T USB tuners (clearly without any pretentiousness of completeness!)

Packaging & unboxing

The new SoloSE-V2 comes in a packaging actually identical to the SoloSE's, so there are no external indications of the new V2 version.

20150606_102114-jpg.21243

20150606_102433-jpg.21244

20150606_103847-jpg.21245

Even on the box's case there is no V2 mark, the only evidence is a small printed label attached on the case bottom.

20150606_105145-jpg.21246

The innovation (and the difference) lays in the dual DVB-S2 tuner supplied as standard.

20150606_110541-jpg.21247

It's the same dual tuner module that can be inserted for ex. into the Duo2, so a new module has not been released for this occasion.

20150606_110634-jpg.21248

Testing environment

My satellite installation consists in a single cable distribution system (Unicable/SCR) supporting up to 8 user bands (max 8 independent tuners on the same cable), with dual-feed reception Hotbird/Astra (multiswitch Unicable Inverto)
Tuner A and Tuner B have been configured in the advanced mode and using DiSEqC 1.0.
In this way every concurrent reception combination is possible: Hotbird/Astra, Hotbird/Hotbird, Astra/Astra

The signal from the terrestrial antenna is mixed into the same satellite cable.

I have (only) the following 6 DVB-T USB tuners that I'm going to test with the 3 images:

Sky Digital key blu led (A867)
Hauppauge WinTV NovaT (model 293, the latest model, gray case)
Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick HD (model 1247)
Hauppauge WinTV Duet HD (model 1407, a dual DVB-T USB tuner)
AverTV Volar Green HD (A835B)
PCTV tripleStick (a DVB-T/T2/C tuner)

20150607_193822-jpg.21249

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
Original Vu+ image

vu-jpg.21253

Only to save time, I didn't look for updates of the original Vu+ image as almost nobody uses it.

info-original-jpg.21254

The dual DVB-S2 tuner, as you can see below, is the same model I've got in my Duo2.

20150606_113159-jpg.21256

The dual DVB-S2 tuner operation was correct, neither signal reception nor image quality issues were found, just like for my Duo2.

I must point out, however, that the option "Connected to" in the tuner settings is not working (differently from the Duo2); so I needed to use a cable splitter to feed the signal to both the tuners at the same time.

I tested with the single cable connected first only to Tuner B and then only to Tuner B, without success.
Anyway, the same problem occurred with all the 3 tested images, so it's probably due to a Vu+ driver bug, or to a hardware problem in my new box.

About this bug, I'd like other SoloSE-V2 users (if any) to report here their experience with a single cable feed.

USB tuners at work

original-tuner-2-jpg.21257

original-tuner-1-jpg.21259

original-tuner-5-jpg.21260

original-tuner-6-jpg.21258

Summarizing:

+ Sky Digital key blu led (A867): identified and working without problems also for HD channels
- Hauppauge WinTV NovaT: identified but not able to tune any channel
+ Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick HD: identified and working without problems also for HD channels
- Hauppauge WinTV Duet HD: identified but not able to tune any channel
+ AverTV Volar Green HD: identified and working without problems also for HD channels
- PCTV tripleStick: failed to be identified

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
Black Hole image

bh-jpg.21261

Installed the latest version 2.1.6.1 with all the available online updates.

info-jpg.21262

The dual DVB-S2 tuner is working correctly, yet with the "Connected to" bug.

USB tuners at work

bh-tuner-1-jpg.21263

bh-tuner-2-volar-jpg.21264

bh-tuner-3-jpg.21265

bh-tuner-4-ministick-jpg.21266

bh-tuner-5-nova-dual-jpg.21267

Summarizing:

+ Sky Digital key blu led (A867): identified and working without problems also for HD channels
+/- Hauppauge WinTV NovaT: identified and working, but with some pixelation on a few channels
+ Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick HD: identified and working without problems also for HD channels
+/- Hauppauge WinTV Duet HD: identified and working, but with some pixelation on a few channels
+ AverTV Volar Green HD: identified as A835B and working without problems also for HD channels

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
Open Black Hole image

obh-jpg.21268

Installed the latest version with all the available online updates.

info-jpg.21269

The dual DVB-S2 tuner is working correctly, yet with the "Connected to" bug.

USB tuners at work

For this new image the tuner compatibility list is still a little shorter than for the standard Black Hole, mainly due to the current initial developing stage.

However, some missing drivers (if available) might be manually installed into the image.

tuner-1-jpg.21270

tuner-2-jpg.21271

tuner-3-jpg.21272

Summarizing:

- Sky Digital key blu led (A867): failed to be identified
+/- Hauppauge WinTV NovaT: identified and working, but with some pixelation on a few channels
+ Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick HD: identified and working without problems also for HD channels. Here the SNR value is missing, it's always zero
+/- Hauppauge WinTV Duet HD: identified and working, but with some pixelation on a few channels
- AverTV Volar Green HD: failed to be identified

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
The conclusion…

Please consider that I don’t own all the possible USB tuners on the market, after the sixth I had to stop buying, and I've bought also a couple of DVB-S2 USB tuners…

So, this situation is of course a limitation for the completeness of this test, and many other DVB-T tuners might actually work without problems at all, particularly the recently released Vu+ Turbo Tuner.

Moreover, as time goes by, variations might intervene in the hardware of the same tuner model, yet still retaining the previous original model name, therefore creating some further confusion about the possible compatibility.

Anyway, based only on my personal and limited experience, the following is the resulting DVB-T USB tuner classification:

1) Hauppauge WinTV MiniStick HD, working correctly on every image
2) Sky Digital key blu led (A867), but currently only for Black Hole image users
3) AverTV Volar Green HD (A835B), but currently only for Black Hole image users
4) The other 2 Hauppauge WinTVs

abid hussain

Vu+ Newbie
STOP SPAM PLEASE! YOU HAVE ALREADY OPENED A THREAD ABOUT THIS ISSUE!

Dear whats the issue if i tell the readers about something which is not mentioned above

i am not spamming i am only telling reality and as a customer i have all the rights to express my grievances

If you know anyone in VU+ team please tell them and ask them to provide solution and i my self will praise VU+ and its team

Mick12334

But you still haven't provided any evidence, apart from your posts.
Until you do I doubt you will be taken seriously, and VU+ will not acknowledge a fault.
Please try to provide video evidence, as I requested in another thread.

Mick12334

I guess this is not spam..vu + SE V2 I also had the same problem with high symbol rate,
It is considered spamming, on a forum, when you post about the same topic, in numerous threads.
If you would learn to use the forum, and its features, properly, you would have quickly located lots of threads, regarding this subject, especially by abid hussain, who has posted some very valuable information, regarding this problem, including this thread:
http://www.vuplus-community.net/boa...-v1-v2-zero-dou2-higher-symbol-problem.27945/

If you click on abid hussain's name, it will take you to his profile page, where you can click on his postings tab and find other posts, of his, on the subject.
I trust that you are a new member, and owner, of a VU+ receiver, and haven't just joined to publicise this problem.

As for higher symbol rates, most of us do not have access to 88E, and the channels with a S/R of 44995, but I can tell you that the S/R of 44100 does work, on 27.5W, as I know of other owners, in Europe, who can access this transponder, who have scanned in the channels.

Also mentioned, on the forum, is the fact that this forum has nothing to do with the manufacture, or development, of the VU+ receiver, if you want to complain to them, try their website:
Code:
http://vuplus.com/sub/main.php