Vu+ Uno tested for you

Dzoni

BH Lover
Some colleagues which have Vu+UNO can get to us some comparation between VU+DUO and this box. Quality,performance,speed,zapp,quality of picture HD/SD,temp...

Nice Monkey

Vu+ User
Just bought a VU+ UNO a few weeks ago. For sale in NL for Euro 289 via a website. Collected it myself as the store was close to my home.

The box is a one-2-one replacement for a Dreambox 7000s. Here a few comparisons on the HW side.
Comparing it with a 800SE would be more market comform obviously. Don't tell me, I know.
Various items are still applicable.
- There is a Power Switch at the back. Not very common these days; the 7000 did not have one.
- The Power Supply and Processor have better (read bigger) cooling units.
- The mounting for the Harddrive is 2,5 + 3,5 inch and with mounts in rubber. Very nice. I had to use brackets with the 7000.
- Basic functionality can be controlled using the 5 buttons on the box without a remote. Not with 3 on the 7000.
- The remote is OK. Liked the ergonomy of the 7000 remote more. Programming of some buttons on the universal remote for my Philips TV worked, but not according the table provided. Had to do a slow scan instead.
- The box remains a lot cooler without making more noice even with a fan (the 7000 did not have one)
- The display is a lot less informative (only 12 characters). Note the SOLO/DUO has a 16 character display. The display quality is good though and dimming can be controlled.
- Zapping takes about 2 seconds using a Soft-CAM instead of a real HW-CAM. The 7000 probably is a somewhat faster even with the slower CPU. With a HW-CAM the 7000 was under 1 sec. A Satellite Scan is probably slower too, but not an issue.
- Now Optical Digital Out and HDMI are available for all audio sources. The 7000 had TOSLINK out for Dolby Digital only. DTS support by alternative images only as a license is probably not included (No DTS Logo).
-
Overall verdict: Nothing wrong with this HW. Using the Blackhole image also the STB functionality works great and is virtually identical to the 7000 with a Gemini image on it.
I am a lot less happy using the box as a Media Player. Still a long way to go there. Some problems seem unique to the UNO?