Vu Zero 4k Signal

el bandido

Vu+ User
Write please other problem bugs hear.

(1) The Zero 4K Blindscan is broken.
The 22KHz tone does not work in blindscan, which cause the high side of the universal lnb to not scan. single oscillator lnbs for c band (5150 l.o.), and circular band (10750 l.o.) will blindscan correctly. The 22KHz tone for blindscan is controlled by the blindscan binary file in usr/bin. This binary file is closed source. This problem can only be fixed by Vu+. Inserting a 22KHz tone generator in the lnb feed line will allow the high side of the universal lnb to blindscan, plus the single oscillator lnbs blindscan, so we know this is the problem.

(2) Installing usb tuners causes the Zero 4K to bootloop or fail to boot.
No one seems to know how many usb tuners the Zero 4K can support. It seems the Zero 4K has vtuner slots or provisions for 4 usb tuners. There is a numbering problem when usb tuners are installed. Installing two usb tuners will work correctly, but the numbering of the tuners is messed up when the third usb tuner is installed. The receiver bootloops or fails to boot when the third usb tuner is installed and the receiver is rebooted.

(3) DVB-S/S2 signal meter reads 100% for almost all transponders.
The Zero 4K has the worst signal meter I have in any enigma2 receiver. It is impossible to correctly align a satellite dish when most or all of the active transponders for the satellite read 100% on the receiver. At minimum, the signal meter needs to be adjusted back so it will not easily read 100% . My other entry level enigma2 receivers do not have this problem. My other entry level receivers have the the signal in db(snr). The signal in db never reaches 100% which is great for dish alignment or for checking how well the dish antenna is working. Please fix this signal meter!

PVR kit Comment:
The pvr kit seems to be designed well and it works as advertised. The pvr kit is expensive. It costs roughly 1/3 of the receiver price. The pvr kit is hard to find. It would be nice if more pvr kits were available, and it would be nice if these kits could be purchased for a little bit less money.

Overall, the Zero 4K is a good receiver. The internal DVB-S2 tuner is sensitive, and it locks APSK/ DVB-S2X transponders in blindscan. Just wish these nuisance problems could be fixed.

Gold_66

Vu+ User
Thanks @el bandido for this detailed "don't touch it yet" report. :)
Don't care much about usb tuners (never use them) or PVR kit (fantasy product), but blindscan and signal issues are very very important to me - I hope they will be fixed very soon, so 'maybe' I can see how superior is that new tuner. ;)

Matrix10

Administrator
(1) The Zero 4K Blindscan is broken.
The 22KHz tone does not work in blindscan, which cause the high side of the universal lnb to not scan. single oscillator lnbs for c band (5150 l.o.), and circular band (10750 l.o.) will blindscan correctly. The 22KHz tone for blindscan is controlled by the blindscan binary file in usr/bin. This binary file is closed source. This problem can only be fixed by Vu+. Inserting a 22KHz tone generator in the lnb feed line will allow the high side of the universal lnb to blindscan, plus the single oscillator lnbs blindscan, so we know this is the problem.

(2) Installing usb tuners causes the Zero 4K to bootloop or fail to boot.
No one seems to know how many usb tuners the Zero 4K can support. It seems the Zero 4K has vtuner slots or provisions for 4 usb tuners. There is a numbering problem when usb tuners are installed. Installing two usb tuners will work correctly, but the numbering of the tuners is messed up when the third usb tuner is installed. The receiver bootloops or fails to boot when the third usb tuner is installed and the receiver is rebooted.

(3) DVB-S/S2 signal meter reads 100% for almost all transponders.
The Zero 4K has the worst signal meter I have in any enigma2 receiver. It is impossible to correctly align a satellite dish when most or all of the active transponders for the satellite read 100% on the receiver. At minimum, the signal meter needs to be adjusted back so it will not easily read 100% . My other entry level enigma2 receivers do not have this problem. My other entry level receivers have the the signal in db(snr). The signal in db never reaches 100% which is great for dish alignment or for checking how well the dish antenna is working. Please fix this signal meter!

PVR kit Comment:
The pvr kit seems to be designed well and it works as advertised. The pvr kit is expensive. It costs roughly 1/3 of the receiver price. The pvr kit is hard to find. It would be nice if more pvr kits were available, and it would be nice if these kits could be purchased for a little bit less money.

Overall, the Zero 4K is a good receiver. The internal DVB-S2 tuner is sensitive, and it locks APSK/ DVB-S2X transponders in blindscan. Just wish these nuisance problems could be fixed.

Did you send this info to VU + ?

el bandido

Vu+ User
Yes. This information was sent to Vu+. But I do not think they read anything that is sent to them. We will see I guess.... The Zero 4K could be a great receiver if they fixed a few small issues.

Matrix10

Administrator
Yes. This information was sent to Vu+. But I do not think they read anything that is sent to them. We will see I guess.... The Zero 4K could be a great receiver if they fixed a few small issues.

This I do not know.
I still believe they read good information.

el bandido

Vu+ User
The interface of the blindscan plugin for Blackhole is very old, and does not support blindscan for c band. This severely limits people that have c band antennas. DVB-S2X is set correctly, so the receiver will not crash when a DVB-S2X transponder is found in blindscan when using the Blackhole image.

OpenBlackHole has an updated blindscan interface that allows for c band blindscan. But Open BlackHole does not have DVB-S2X set correctly, so the receiver will crash when a DVB-S2X transponder is logged.

Attached is a log file showing the DVB-S2x crash in OpenBlackHole. Also attached is a blindscan of 116.9 West c band. OpenBlackHole image found 49 transponders on this satellite which is pretty good.

We have demonstrated that the Zero 4K is a capable blindscan receiver, but the problems or issues associated with the blindscan need to be fixed.

Attachments

• debug.zip
    15.5 KB · Views: 7
  • blindscan_116W_20-04-2018_10-01-27.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 7

el bandido

Vu+ User
Here is an example of a channel and transponder showing 0% with a lock, and the channel plays. This is not hard to do, and pretty easy to duplicate on some other channels. (DVB-S will open at a lower signal level.)OBH_Zero Lock.jpg OBH_Zero_Lock_Channel.jpg

el bandido

Vu+ User
Making a BlackHole image backup will cause the Zero 4K with the pvr hard drive to bootloop when another image is installed.

The pvr addon allows a notebook type hard drive to be installed under the Zero 4K.
The BlackHole image backup will write an image backup to this pvr hard drive using a folder named vuplus. Inside this vuplus folder is a zero 4k folder that contains a file named force update. This causes a bootloop when another image on an usb stick is inserted into the back of the receiver in an attempt to load a different image. A simple fix would be for the BlacHole backup to be put into a different folder. Maybe name the folder BlackHole backup or something similar?

meho7

Vu+ Newbie
Has this or any of the other issues been fixed? I'm looking into buying one. How do you all feel about it after a few months of ownership? I would primarily be using for feed watching.

cheers

el bandido

Vu+ User
The Zero 4K would be a great receiver for the price IF a few things were fixed. Vu+ does not seem to care about the Zero 4K and has not bothered to list it in the bug report.

Attachments

• Bug Report_ 2018-07-23 06-54-51.png
    Bug Report_ 2018-07-23 06-54-51.png
    148.2 KB · Views: 25

el bandido

Vu+ User
Do you need any of these features?
(1) Universal lnb blindscan. (22 KHz tone does not work in blindscan.)
(2) Signal Meter. (Useless.)
(3) More than two usb tuners. (Box bootloops when the third usb tuner is added.)

IF you do not need any of the features in that list then the Zero 4K is a great box. These problems have existed for around 6 months or longer. It looks like Vu+ does not care about fixing them.

meho7

Vu+ Newbie
Yeah the signal meter :O
Whats the alternative to this box in the same price range? Is the Mutant any good?

el bandido

Vu+ User
I do not have the Mutant, and it would probably be best to ask about that on the Vix or PLi forum. Some new receivers should be out before 2018 ends. That is not long, so you may want to wait a bit before buying.

Adoniss

Vu+ Newbie
VU+ has the history of not solving bugs, so dont hope much ,

its seems due to cheap hardware of tuner because cheap chines receivers depicts the signal same way

so the only option is buy as it is or their are other brands in the market as well with cheaper price tag and better support

el bandido

Vu+ User
Overall, I think Vu+ has done pretty well with other receivers like the Duo2 in fixing things or bugs. But with the Zero 4K, the signal meter has needed repair for many months, and the blindscan with universal lnb has been broken for 6 months. Ditto the usb tuner boot loop problem. It would be nice to see Vu+ give the Zero 4K some attention that it deserves.