VuPlus Duo4k wakes itself up repeatedly in the middle of the night

NinjaFromNZ

Vu+ Newbie
Running OpenBlackHole 4.4.002 in a VuPlus Duo 4K

I’ve had a really bad cold and cough (negative COVID test thankfully) for the last week and so I slept in a reclining chair in my lounge where the TV and the satellite receiver are located for the last two nights

At a few minutes before 5am on early Saturday and Sunday mornings and at 01:30 on Monday, the VuPlus has switched itself on and via HDMI-CEC has turned on the connected AV amplifier/receiver.

I’ve checked all the things I can think of which might be initiating activity on the box and none of them happen at 5am. There is only one thing scheduled at 30 minutes past every hour - but that happens every hour (see below)

I have cron jobs that run at 6h,12h,18h,24h to download EPG data files and an ntp clock sync which runs at 30 mins past the hour, every hour. Other scheduled jobs are a daily backup of the image and of settings which both run daily at noon and EPGImport which runs at 18:28 daily

The box does not wake up at any of the times when events listed above are started

Over the last few days there are no completed timers which have run before 6pm and there are no power timers

I can’t find any wake-on-LAN capability under network settings so I don’t think something else on the network can be waking it up. I've sent both the VuPlus and the AV Receiver Wake-On-Lan instructions from a utility called Fing and neither causes either device to wake up

The AV Receiver has no functionality which allows you to schedule anything schedule so I’m certain it’s the Vu+ box waking up the AV receiver via HDMI-CEC and not the other way around

Has anyone got any idea what might be causing this or any ideas what I might try to prevent this happening?

knuti1960

Vu+ Newbie
I know, you don't want, but what happens if you unable HDMI-CEC on all of your devices (with shutdown/restart every single device)? Just for being sure, this is not the troublemaker... :)
Also, if this does not lead to a solution, you could post a log here of what happened on the box within the relevant time.

NinjaFromNZ

Vu+ Newbie
Good suggestion - I'm not too worried about disabling HDMI-CEC as it doesn't work reliably for power on for me anyway. I'll disable the power-on setting ans see what happens

When you say "post a log", is an log file automatically created on the box and of so, where?

knuti1960

Vu+ Newbie
Disabling CEC didn't help? Okay, we have more possibilities to find out, what's going wrong...
You'll find the debug-log here: /media/hdd
If you like to post it here, please only the relevant time, otherwise it would be too much to read for any "helper" here.
Another idea: Disconnect your device DUO 4K from internet during relevant time, what happens? Please tell us. Would be interesting to find out, whether the device switches on via Internet. You say you're using Fing, remember this is software which maybe giving not trustable results. Please observe anything on your own.
Some more info could be helpful: Something makes your VU+ to wake up from which status? Standby? Or is it (your VU+) really shutdown?

NinjaFromNZ

Vu+ Newbie
Sorry if I confused you with what I posted above:

I disabled CEC for turning the VuPlus box on and it stayed on standby all night last night so hopefully that has resolved the immediate problem.

I found the debug logs in /home/root/logs/Enigma2_debug_YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS.log and I can see when I turned off the TV which sent the standby command to the VuPlus box

Given that with my setup (Samsung TV, Yamaha AV Receiver, VuPlus Duo4k) I HDMI-CEC is not very reliable when switching things on, I think I'll probably leave it so that the CEC only turns things off.

Thanks for the suggestions, they were very helpful

(I'm also hoping that I'll soon be well enough not to have to sleep in a seated position in the lounge so won't notice it if happens in future!)