DUO SE 4k - 2 questions

Piedepallido

Vu+ Newbie
hi,
only 2 rapid short questions for my future recorder:

1-which is the HDCP version of DUO SE 4k ?
2-has to be only ext4 the disk partition ?
3-to create a DVD/bluray with the files recorded in the disk, can i detach the disk and insert it into a windows machine ? or which is the best method to master the files ?

Thanks
PS. i'm not able to count very well... :D

Bye bye by NICK

AlexWilMac

2) Yes
3) No need of this dramatic action of physically connecting the disk: there is the FTP connection, with FileZilla or similar. ;)

>>Artorius<<

>>English Admin<<
1. Good question and I can not find anything that suggests it has been implemented, are you facing a particular issue with 4K playback with or through a particular device that is looking for the HDCP handshake ?

Piedepallido

Vu+ Newbie
2) Yes
3) No need of this dramatic action of physically connecting the disk: there is the FTP connection, with FileZilla or similar. ;)

thank you, i never had a domestic network, so i'm not used to think like at work, between linux and AIX and windows...

Piedepallido

Vu+ Newbie
1. Good question and I can not find anything that suggests it has been implemented, are you facing a particular issue with 4K playback with or through a particular device that is looking for the HDCP handshake ?
i'm planning to "build" my new sitting room in my new apartment, with new TV, old svhs recorder, DUO SE 4k, switch/splitter, bluray player, tuner, etc... so i have to project all these things to work togheter, for me :D

>>Artorius<<

>>English Admin<<
Be aware that lots of splitters/switches do not work with HDCP, are you not planning on using a soundbar or AV AMP ?

You can also get hold of your files from your Duo4Kse from the Windows Explorer and even if you like you can mount it's devices in Windows so you find them without having to go through the network browser
Just open Windows explorer make sure under the view settings that you have enable the navigation window. Then in the left window you will see your DUO4Kse
Open the Duo4Kse and right click the HDD, From dropdown menu chose connect it. Now that HDD is just as avalible as your local HDD :)

AlexWilMac

Interesting: almost all my video files are H264... I'd need to recode them all!
But I suppose he was thinking about DVB-T2 HEVC system.

AlexWilMac

The future DVB-T2 (at least in Italy, but I suppose also in other countries) will be HEVC, that means you need a decoder able to decode H265.
This is all the matter about advertisments we have in Italy about the need of changing TVs: have you ever heard of them? ;)

Piedepallido

Vu+ Newbie
i know DVB-T2, but if i will record with Duo 4k SE a video in H.265, then can i create with my PC, without recode to H.264, a bluray disk playable on any standalone bluray reader ? or i need a bluray reader capable of H.265 ? there is any ?

AlexWilMac

Bluray? What's Bluray? ;)
I'm joking, of course and I don't say so to offend you in any way. Only... nowadays my videoteque is all in a comfy NAS, with the safety of RAID 1, and accessible anywhere, in the LAN or outside the LAN.
Bluray are like DVDs, about their comfort. :) do you really still use them in 2022?
That said, I simply don't know. And, maybe, there isn't an answer only: maybe different BD players have different features. You should check on your manual or contact the support of your product.
What is sure is that H264 is destined to die; soon.
But the problem is not this one. The problem is the fact that Duo4KSE is not able to decode also H264 video surprised me, because I thought than every devices able to decode H265 are retrocompatible, as it is (almost, I must say now) always.
So, I've got a lot of them I have no problem at watching my my Solo4K. If I bought a Duo4K, I'd have.
But, I suppose, VU+ decided not to pay some royalties or decided to use a... cheaper chip not able to decode them, too.
Is it so, @Ev0?
Whatever the reason, it was really, really useful what Ev0 underlined, because now I'll be aware of this factor.

Ev0

Admin
Bluray? What's Bluray? ;)
I'm joking, of course and I don't say so to offend you in any way. Only... nowadays my videoteque is all in a comfy NAS, with the safety of RAID 1, and accessible anywhere, in the LAN or outside the LAN.
Bluray are like DVDs, about their comfort. :) do you really still use them in 2022?
That said, I simply don't know. And, maybe, there isn't an answer only: maybe different BD players have different features. You should check on your manual or contact the support of your product.
What is sure is that H264 is destined to die; soon.
But the problem is not this one. The problem is the fact that Duo4KSE is not able to decode also H264 video surprised me, because I thought than every devices able to decode H265 are retrocompatible, as it is (almost, I must say now) always.
So, I've got a lot of them I have no problem at watching my my Solo4K. If I bought a Duo4K, I'd have.
But, I suppose, VU+ decided not to pay some royalties or decided to use a... cheaper chip not able to decode them, too.
Is it so, @Ev0?
Whatever the reason, it was really, really useful what Ev0 underlined, because now I'll be aware of this factor.
No you didn't read my post correctly.

It will not work with H.264 4K aka UHD, 2160p.

The only Vu+ boxes that will support that format is the Zero4K and Duo4K, but then neither of those 2 boxes will support Mpeg1, whereas the others will.

All down to the specs of the broadcom chipset.

Piedepallido

Vu+ Newbie
i have more than 1500 DVD/Bluray (movies, TV series, anime movies, anime series, etc) and many VHS (some SVHS) recorded from TV many years ago, to convert...

Anyway,
1- Duo 4k SE can read H.264 files, isn'it ?
2- but can it receive video in H.264 via HDMI and record in H.265 files ?
3- with my PC can i master a bluray disc with those H.265 files ? and that bluray can be readable to normal standalone bluray player 4k ?

thank you :)

Ev0

Admin
i have more than 1500 DVD/Bluray (movies, TV series, anime movies, anime series, etc) and many VHS (some SVHS) recorded from TV many years ago, to convert...

Anyway,
1- Duo 4k SE can read H.264 files, isn'it ?
2- but can it receive video in H.264 via HDMI and record in H.265 files ?
3- with my PC can i master a bluray disc with those H.265 files ? and that bluray can be readable to normal standalone bluray player 4k ?

thank you :)
1) Yes it can read H.264 upto 1080p but not 4K, for 4K it only supports H.265
2) The recording via HDMI in is not good, 720p and is not perfect (sometimes no sound, sometimes colours wrong, sometimes no signal depending on the device connected etc etc) due to HDCP issues.