Mod for Solo (Internal HUB USB, DVB-T, Fan and Hard Disk)

bo1e

Vu+ Newbie
And the front usb-port can be connected to the usb-hub the same way. Cut usb-cable in half, plug one end into the hub, and solder the wires on the other end to the front usb-port connections on the front panel, or to the cable you unplugged from the mobo.

tsiklon

Vu+ Newbie
You should pretty easily be able to track the cable from the motherboard to the usb-port on the front. Its a four wire cable between the ca-slot and the ribbon cable. Marked P203 like you mentioned. I soldered the usb hub cable to the pins on the mobo. Make sure you do a better job than I did, to avoid shorts.

Thanks for reply. If P203 is correct, can you please confirm the cables too?

Black Ground
White Data +
Yellow Data -
Red +5V DC

bo1e

Vu+ Newbie
iirc the order is correct, and in accordance with the normal usb design.

I am having a problem with my harddrive. Every time I reboot or power off/on the box, the harddrive has to be reinitialized. In the info/about screen it says generic harddrive 320gb (-1 mb free). I am wondering if maybe the usb to sata adapter is to blame. It makes quite alot of clicking noises when the box is powered on and off too. Think I have to try replacing it with a different one just to see if it makes a difference. And another thing is the wifi-dongle is getting quite poor reception inside the box. Probably some interference in there too. Think I will have to look for a dongle with external antenna.

bo1e

Vu+ Newbie
I tried with a different hdd, old 40gb 2.5" in a ide to usb enclosure. Same behaviour. It sounds like the power to the hdd blinks 4-5 times on startup. And every time the box starts, the info screen reports -1 mb free, and the disk needs to be reinitialized before it can be used. What to do...

Read a guide somewhere that says: "It's very important that the external HDD has its own electric power supply."

I'm guessing since the original mod in this thread powers the usbhub externally it will work, but I power the usbhub from the vu+solo power supply it will not work. It apparently needs continous power supply or it will need to be reinitialized?

bo1e

Vu+ Newbie
And even if you power the hdd externally, if it ever loses power it will need to be reinitialized? I don't get this.

SOLO MAN

Vu+ Newbie
Would not recommend the use of 5V from the motherboard, since the USB hub draws 1 or 2 amps. Better is the original power supply that can pull through the hole of the receivers cable!

sonci

Vu+ Newbie
Here you are:
cimg1386k.jpg

Look at the two wires on the bottom: 12V and GND

I tried to add a fan to the 5v, while it spins ok, it stays on even in stand by,
Is there a way for the fan to start when you turn on the receiver??

niglou

BH Lover
I tried to add a fan to the 5v, while it spins ok, it stays on even in stand by,
Is there a way for the fan to start when you turn on the receiver??

You can use pin N°8 from the scart connector. You will get between 8 and 12 volts when not in standby an 0 volt in standby.
Then if you use a MOSFET transistor or a micro-relay your fan will turn only when the receiver is on :cool:

sonci

Vu+ Newbie
You can use pin N°8 from the scart connector. You will get between 8 and 12 volts when not in standby an 0 volt in standby.
Then if you use a MOSFET transistor or a micro-relay your fan will turn only when the receiver is on :cool:

Thanks
I dont know how to use a microrelay or transistor,
could just connecting fan to pin 8 and ground be enough,
I also tried laptop usb fans, but still the same the fan stays on all the time, which honestly is better without any fan at all..
Do you guys unplug the receiver and tv, when not in use?

a911

The BH Lover
I also tried laptop usb fans, but still the same the fan stays on all the time, which honestly is better without any fan at all..
Do you guys unplug the receiver and tv, when not in use?

No need to unplug TV or receiver , just have them on standby!
I do not know if any harm will happen if you leave the the Fan on all time ,,,and it would be easy to put at front Usb slut,,,U can unplug the USB of the fan from there!

niglou

BH Lover
@ sonci

You cannot plug a fan directly on pin8 of the scart because there is no power and you risk to destroy the electronic.
You must use an interface, such I give you in the picture below. It is cheap and simple to realize : All you need is:

- Transistor BUZ73
-Resistor 100 Kilo Ohms 1/4 watt
-Diode (rectifier) 1N4001, or 1N4002 ....4007
You will find easyly these 3 components.

@ a911
As we are all GEEK, it is better when all is automatic and smart is not it ? ;)

Attachments

• Fan control.JPG
    Fan control.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 89
I'm not meaning to discourage your efforts and at least you tried but i must be the only one who thinks it looks like a bomb has gone off inside that receivers casing. Not my cup of tea at all.

saying that i'll give you points and a thumbs up for effort.

curt_nedim

Vu+ Newbie
here is a example how it should work with a Relay, thanks @niglue for his idea and info..

Attachments

• relay fan.jpg
    relay fan.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 58
  • relay ukljucen fan.jpg
    relay ukljucen fan.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 56