Recording capabilities of the VU+ Uno 4K SE DVB-C

antoniu200

Vu+ Newbie
Hello! New to the forum and to the cable TV stuff.

Lately, I wanted to try and record some TV programs, so I looked around on the Internet for a solution to doing this. I saw video capture cards, where HDCP and a bunch of cabling are big ussues, and dedicated PVRs with DVB-C tuners.

Wanting a good, elegant, long-term solution, I settled for a PVR, namely the VU+ Uno 4K SE DVB-C version.

Since the device is far from cheap, I'd like to know what file systems it accepts and what are the file formats it uses to store recordings on the internal drive, before making such investment. For the file format, a MediaInfo of a sample file would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

p.rodrigues

Vu+ User
When writing something, the file gets the .TS extension.

HqnWxN2.png

antoniu200

Vu+ Newbie
Thank you for your reply!

Are the .ts files recompressed? If yes, a MediaInfo report would be useful.

Does it accept exFAT formatted drives?

AlexWilMac

Are the .ts files recompressed? If yes, a MediaInfo report would be useful.

NO: you need Handbrake to compress them. But all the PVRs I know of use the .ts file format and it is uncompressed.

Does it accept exFAT formatted drives?
NO, but this is far from being a problem: you can easily copy from and to the VU+ either by its images (particularly OpenBlackHole and other open images) or by FTP clients like Filezilla.
VU+ simply formats its devices in EXT4 FS but it's not a proprietary system (like Humax, for instance): you can do whatever with your own files and with the recorded ones.

antoniu200

Vu+ Newbie
NO: you need Handbrake to compress them. But all the PVRs I know of use the .ts file format and it is uncompressed.

NO, but this is far from being a problem: you can easily copy from and to the VU+ either by its images (particularly OpenBlackHole and other open images) or by FTP clients like Filezilla.
VU+ simply formats its devices in EXT4 FS but it's not a proprietary system (like Humax, for instance): you can do whatever with your own files and with the recorded ones.
Good, thank you very much!
This answered my question fully.

antoniu200

Vu+ Newbie
Forgot to ask one thing.

In the case of TV programs encrypted using any other method except X-Crypt, when recording, is the video of the .ts file encrypted or not?

AlexWilMac

Your question is not correctly asked.
If you mean what happens if you record from a channel you are not entitled to decrypt, because you don't have the specific smartcam-smartcard, of course it's encrypted.
Otherwise, if you have the modules able to decrypt your channels, then the recording will be perfectly visible, of course.