Review Vu+ Solo2 By Black Hole

paolino

Vu+ User+++
Hi there

I'm getting my Solo2 tomorrow and before even flashing BH I was wondering if any of you guys could explain the right way to phisically install the hhd drive inside the box.

I've seen that on most reviews including this one you place the hdd on top of the bracket with the letterings facing up but I've seen others where they actually place it inside the bracket with the letterings facing down.

Probably not really an issue but for neatness sake, which is the right way ??

Cheers

HDD doesn't fit inside the bracket (personal experience). You have to mount it on top with letterings facing up.

carwash

Vu+ Newbie
Obviously. I reckon I'll have to check it myself when I get my hands on it and then decide which way it looks right for me. Thanks anyway.
Personally I think that the design of the tray makes it easy to fit and looks very neat regardless whether upside down or not.
This detail and many others made me appreciate the finer qualities and attention to detail of the Solo2 box

paolino

Vu+ User+++
Personally I think that the design of the tray makes it easy to fit and looks very neat regardless whether upside down or not.
This detail and many others made me appreciate the finer qualities and attention to detail of the Solo2 box

When you mount HDD inside of the bracket upside down, you will not be able to attach connectors for power supply and SATA. Trust me, it's my personal experience on my Solo2.

carwash

Vu+ Newbie
When you mount HDD inside of the bracket upside down, you will not be able to attach connectors for power supply and SATA. Trust me, it's my personal experience on my Solo2.
I couldn't comment about the connectors as I fitted my HDD exactly by the book (Letters Up) But that it looks neat? ho yes it does!

Pedro C

Vu+ User
Here you go. No problems connecting the hard drive. Please feel free to comment ...

IMG_0322Medium.jpg

IMG_0321Medium.jpg

IMG_0323Medium.jpg

paolino

Vu+ User+++
Sorry, but with my WD Black 750 GB I was not able to insert connectors, because of bent metal sheet of bracket (about 0,5 mm in excess).

carwash

Vu+ Newbie
Looks good but my only concern would be dust!
The top part of the HDD (lettering) is easier to clean than the underside with circuit board

Pedro C

Vu+ User
Don't think that's an issue. The whole mainboard is also exposed to dust and that has never been a problem AFAIK. Come on admit it. It really really looks neater ;-)

Ev0

Admin
Don't think that's an issue. The whole mainboard is also exposed to dust and that has never been a problem AFAIK. Come on admit it. It really really looks neater ;-)

It looks amazing, but with the cover back on the solo2, you can't see it, so does it really matter ?? :D

paolino

Vu+ User+++
And what about heat? Biggest source of heat is HDD rotating plate. Electronics doesn't like overheating (electron migration inside IC's, etc.). And the hot air has lower weight than cold, so it rises up and heats up electronics of HDD. And inside of bracket is less circulating air then outside. So why to shorten the life of HDD? And also components on motherboard under the HDD? It's up to you.

Pedro C

Vu+ User
And what about heat? Biggest source of heat is HDD rotating plate. Electronics doesn't like overheating (electron migration inside IC's, etc.). And the hot air has lower weight than cold, so it rises up and heats up electronics of HDD. And inside of bracket is less circulating air then outside. So why to shorten the life of HDD? And also components on motherboard under the HDD? It's up to you.

This particular hdd used to reside on my laptop which sometimes I take to the beach in the sun. Never had a problem with that and I'm talking 32ºC ambient temperature !! :lol: It's staying this way for sure.

paolino

Vu+ User+++
This particular hdd used to reside on my laptop which sometimes I take to the beach in the sun. Never had a problem with that and I'm talking 32ºC ambient temperature !! :lol: It's staying this way for sure.

100 people have 100 opinions, I'd like to have my HDD longlasting (at least 5 years).

paolino

Vu+ User+++
Some photos from komodo of his HDDP1080381_1.JPGP1080382_2.JPG
On the first one you can see very well, that the connector is touching processor cooler and is obstructing his cooling.

Now his HDD is mounted like you can see on the second one, label up.

Thanks @komodo for photos!

Pedro C

Vu+ User
Don't be ridiculous :D The cables could be touching the cooler's top edge ever so slightly but that's not stopping it doing its job in the least. If I were you, I'd be really concerned about those sharp bends on the sata cable. Now that's something to worry about ....

paolino

Vu+ User+++
Don't be ridiculous :D The cables could be touching the cooler's top edge ever so slightly but that's not stopping it doing its job in the least. If I were you, I'd be really concerned about those sharp bends on the sata cable. Now that's something to worry about ....

I don't want to polemise anymore about HDD mounting, I wrote enough about it. Who wants to see, how to mount HDD, I'm inviting him to see Vu+ Ultimo official user manual with photos how to mount HDD. My friend komodo bended the cables as he likes (his photos) and I don't see any 90 or more degrees sharp bends. He did a very good job (I can not understand, why that Sata cable is so long.... Vu+? Why? Shorter will be better.)
I'm glad about these two photos, so everybody can decide, how to mount his HDD.
(There are also RAM chips between processor and HDD bracket. They also need fresh air)