Setting up kernel module build envirnoment

oki270

Vu+ Newbie
Hello!

I am a noob with enigma and VU+ (my solo2 arrives in 3 days) but I am not new to linux kernel and user programming. I was trying to figure out how to setup build environment to build kernel modules (I want to do a small project of porting one driver - just to get used to this environment) but after reading under this sub-forum I am still not sure what exactly (and how) I need to setup to be able to build a kernel module for solo2. I googled for pointers and even after reading some documentation I am still not 100% sure which way to go.

My build OS is ubuntu on x64 which obviously means I need a cross-compiler, kernel source and makefiles needed to compile kernel itself and included modules.

If someone could point me to some instructions where and how to start, I would really appreciate. I hope I will in near future be able to return this service to the community :).

Regards,
Oki

Hello Oki, I'm starting like you.
I'm using following sequence
  1. git clone git://code.vuplus.com/git/openvuplus.git
  2. cd ~/openvuplus
  3. make image MACHINE=vuuno
    • Possible values for MACHINE are: vusolo, bm750, vuuno, vuultimo and vusolo2.
This from same environment has yourself, I've made the assumption that with build-essential installed I would have cross-compiler needed. I needed also the following.
  1. sudo apt-get install texinfo gawk texi2html chrpath sshpass
unfortunately I needed to make several stdio.h patch
Code:
 /* It is very rare that the developer ever has full control of stdin,
    so any use of gets warrants an unconditional warning.  Assume it is
    always declared, since it is required by C89.  */
+#if defined gets
#undef gets
_GL_WARN_ON_USE (gets, "gets is a security hole - use fgets instead");
+#endif
Certainly I don't do it early enough at compile time in stdio.in.h ... because I needed to do it in 5 files

anyway the compilation progressed until I have an error to optain Operat-hbbtv package... I'm blocked there right now

the stdio.h patch is because I'm under Ubuntu 13 certainly and creating a dedicated compilation environment would interest me also.

So please tell me about your progress I'm interested by your approach.

ha, from a thread from this forum, it appear that my fetch issues are well known:
When you have a fetch error it is because a single source package cannot be found.
To fix the issue you can ask here the missed package (hoping that someone will provide to you) or google search package:
- put in sources folder
- add an empty file packagename.done
When finally after many hours and troubles you will have the first image build it means that all the package and the sources are ok and you are ready to work.
so :) is somebody has the opera-hbbtv_20130820_0.tar.gz package please ? :-D (should I start a new thread for this?)

oki270

Vu+ Newbie
On Ubuntu 12 LTE goes without problem until it tries to fetch opera-hbbtv. Now I'm stuck :(. Please help.