Uno 4K SE CPU temp

DimitarCC

Vu+ Newbie
Hello to All,
I have a brand new Uno 4K SE (I bought it 2 days ago and it is with the new 45308X FBC tuners). From the beginning the CPU temp shown on SD channel is about 71-72C. On 4K channel it rises to 80C. I have also HDD installed in the box. Is that normal temperature?
I know the box doesn't have any fan but that temps looks quite high to me.

bogdanm

I think is big; i have zero4k in above my tv and i have alvays betwen 60-65C.
Where you have your box ?

DimitarCC

Vu+ Newbie
It is under my TV in a space like a box in size 50cm x 20cm x40cm. But it also have some cables that occupy that space as well.
It have this temp from the beginning. And my box is zero4kse if that matters.

Matrix10

Administrator
Hmmm i dont know how to edit posts. I mean my box is UNO 4K SE

You should still have a free passage of air,and it seems to me that this is not the case,
and the question is how much HDD contributes to the temperature.
(And it depends on the type of HDD)
I do not think I saw it in my box, 80 C.
True, these processors can have a high temperature ,but 80 c is high.

Put the box outside and measure the temperature.

My Uno4Kse shows 40 degrees celsius and is placed under TV inside bench with closed doors only the IR eye is visible so 80 sounds very high but do you use your HDD as picon and epg location? this could be the case for high temp
I have a Usb memory stick mounted for picons and epg

DimitarCC

Vu+ Newbie
My Uno4Kse shows 40 degrees celsius and is placed under TV inside bench with closed doors only the IR eye is visible so 80 sounds very high but do you use your HDD as picon and epg location? this could be the case for high temp
I have a Usb memory stick mounted for picons and epg

My apologies but i cant believe you have only 40C. That is 1.8GHz ARM CPU with passive cooling. The heat-sink is very small. The only way to get that temp is either to have a fan installed or to have your box with open cover in relatively low ambient temperature. For comparison i have Solo2 witch have fan and when fan is working the CPU temp is about 43-44C.... So you can not have such a low temp with stock cooling.

DimitarCC

Vu+ Newbie
You should still have a free passage of air,and it seems to me that this is not the case,
and the question is how much HDD contributes to the temperature.
(And it depends on the type of HDD)
I do not think I saw it in my box, 80 C.
True, these processors can have a high temperature ,but 80 c is high.

Put the box outside and measure the temperature.

The HDD is a normal 2.5" drive (it is not a SSD) i had the epg cache on it but i doubt that is the source of the heating.
I figured out why i had 80C... it where because my XBOX ONE is under the STB and when it were working it where heating the plate under the box.
However still on 4K channel temp rises to about 74C. If i have PIP in progress it becomes 76C on moments.
If i watching SD channel now it is 67C. On standby it drops to 62C.
Ofcource all that readings are when the box is in that place under TV and the value comes from the internal sensor (drivers?). I do not have yet external thermometer so to get more accurate values.
But i will get one. I heard that that ARM CPUs can work even on 100C. What i worry about is that some other components can suffer from that temps (like condensators in tuner). What i noticed is that most of the heat seems to come from the tuner compartment the box cover plate just above the heat-sink is not so hot compared to the place above the tuner. But the bottom place of the box seems a bit hot just below the CPU (well on hot i mean i can hold my hand with no problems but is warm)
@Matrix10 - For comparison what are your temperatures?

Matrix10

Administrator
Momentally I do not have Uno 4K SE on the table
but Duo and ultimo 4K
If I remember the temperature was + - 65 ° C
that is the normal processor temperature.
I've never felt a high temptature anywhere.
I think if you have a good air flow around the box at room temperature there is nothing to concern.
Of course putting a box on other sources of heat is not according to the usage specifications,and contributes to components aging.

That's a nice box.
For me, the most beautiful constructed.
He can stand outside the enclosed space.

to add
Set HDD working/standby time to the lowest possible value

Last edited:
I dont how much you can trust the internal temp system but here is a screenshot of my BH syspanel.

But as you say i dont have anything under my box that gives ambient heat and my bench has glass shelf inside.
I have a standard 2.5 inch hdd from a laptop but its in standby almost all the time only use for backup, recording and watching movies

sysinfo.jpg

DimitarCC

Vu+ Newbie
I dont how much you can trust the internal temp system but here is a screenshot of my BH syspanel.

But as you say i dont have anything under my box that gives ambient heat and my bench has glass shelf inside.
I have a standard 2.5 inch hdd from a laptop but its in standby almost all the time only use for backup, recording and watching movies

View attachment 41151

You see only HDD temp on that panel. It is normal to be about 40C. But this has nothing to do with the CPU temp we talking about ;)

Matrix10

Administrator
HDD Tmp is not the same as the processor temp
but all heat sources contribute a little to total temperature.
I think the answer is very simple.
If box at room temperature then everything is ok for the specifications of electronic components in many devices.
My older TV gets hotter than any box.

Let's remember some tuners at the time of the first enigma box some were so hot besides activ ventilation.
And they work many of them after more than ten years.

We are talking about passive processor cooling here and +- 65 C is normal temp.

DimitarCC

Vu+ Newbie
HDD Tmp is not the same as the processor temp
but all heat sources contribute a little to total temperature.
I think the answer is very simple.
If box at room temperature then everything is ok for the specifications of electronic components in many devices.
My older TV gets hotter than any box.

Let's remember some tuners at the time of the first enigma box some were so hot besides activ ventilation.
And they work many of them after more than ten years.

We are talking about passive processor cooling here and +- 65 C is normal temp.

Yes you are right... My temps are a bit higher.... they reaches 75C in normal conditions as i mentioned but i hope it will not do any harm. I believe the designers of the box where aware that it can have high temps because of the passive cooling.

DimitarCC

Vu+ Newbie
I checked my CPU temp is steady at 59 degrees celsius :)

Quite interesting. The CPU temp can not be steady value....When you watch SD channel CPU load is one when you watch 4K channel is another which always leads to change in CPU temp.
How did you checked it?

First of all it was steady when running on one channel 4k view it changes when switching channels.

You can se your cpu temp in OBH under information Press menu then Information and cose About there you see your cpu temp

about.jpg

DimitarCC

Vu+ Newbie
First of all it was steady when running on one channel 4k view it changes when switching channels.

You can se your cpu temp in OBH under information Press menu then Information and cose About there you see your cpu temp

View attachment 41166

Interesting....Well did you updated this image to the latest? What i noticed your drivers are from 28.10.2018 but mine are from 04.12.2018 so i think it can gives different readings for the temp as well. Because several people has reported that temps are about 60-65-75C on their boxes... so it seems weird to me you to have 54C on 4K channel.