Video output changes twice on startup

SatDreamer

Vu+ User
I'm seeing this issue for quite some, I'm on BH 3.0.2G. From the channels I regularly watch, it only happens on LA7 (Hotbird 13, 11919V).

I have my video output set at 576i (also use AutoResolution but 576i is left at default). When I turn on the Duo and the last watched channel was LA7, the box seems to startup normally at 576i, but right before the end of the startup it switches to 1080 mode (the Video content box in the top-left confirms this) and finally it switches again to 576i. Not a serious issue, but causes a delay and it's a bit annoying to the eye.

It's strange that this does not happen on other SD channels (all Rai channels for example), only on LA7.

AlexWilMac

I'm just curious to know why did you choose such a low resolution: is your TV a cathode-ray tube one or do you use SCART perhaps?

SatDreamer

Vu+ User
I'm just curious to know why did you choose such a low resolution: is your TV a cathode-ray tube one or do you use SCART perhaps?
Quite the contrary. Since my LCD TV scales better than the Duo, it is wise to let the TV do the upscaling (untouched 576i to 1080p) rather than have the Duo do it (576i to 1080i from the Duo and then 1080i to 1080p from the TV). The fact that the Duo only upscales to 1080i makes it even more wise to let the tv do it. SD channels look definitively better with 576i output.

So... it depends on the TV's quality. If you have a TV with an excellent upscaler, let the TV do it. If not, let the Vu+ do it.

The only problem with 576i output is that the Duo's OSD quality suffers a bit. I'm not sure if this can be improved by the Vu+ or BH teams, but it's not a major problem.

AlexWilMac

I used to have a Duo2 and it has also the 1080p.
And, anyway, I quit using autoresolution because I got annoyed with it: I set the resolution and then I forget. Have you tried without?
And, yes: the terrible quality of OSD at 576 would be another reason not to use this resolution, if possible! ;)

SatDreamer

Vu+ User
Yes, the case of the Duo2 with 1080p support is different but still: if your TV scales SD channels better you should let the TV do it and not the Duo2, if you want maximum quality. The OSD issue is secondary, TV channel quality matters the most!

You are right about the convenience of upscaling everything and forgetting it. I've tried it but prefer to have the best video quality possible since I mostly watch SD channels. I'm just a bit careful not to frequently switch between SD and HD channels - it can get annoying.

AlexWilMac

Sorry, I didn't notice you said you have a Duo and not a duo2... My mistake.
And what about disabling Autoresolution? Have you tried that?

SatDreamer

Vu+ User
Haven't tried it, but what difference can it make? I mean, the same video output settings are used, there will be no change in quality, right? Autoresolution only tells the Duo which mode to auto-select on various SD/HD channel combinations, it doesn't impact video quality.

I've set it to leave SD resolutions to SD, output 720p as 720p and 1080i/1080p as 1080i/1080p (the Duo does support 1080p channels and output them as 1080p I think, it just won't upscale to 1080p, only 720p or 1080i).

SatDreamer

Vu+ User
Perhaps you meant I should try it for the issue I posted? You are right, the problem does not happen with Autoresolution disabled. A pity I can't leave it like that.

This channel (LA7) is scrambled, and I noticed the problem occurs with other channels of the same provider (Tivusat) so perhaps, Autoresolution gets confused by the encryption.

AlexWilMac

So, if the same happens with every tvsat channels, the problem has nothing to do with LA7 or SD or HD channels.
By the way, what happens with the HD tvsat channels?

a911

The BH Lover
I'm seeing this issue for quite some, I'm on BH 3.0.2G. From the channels I regularly watch, it only happens on LA7 (Hotbird 13, 11919V).

I have my video output set at 576i (also use AutoResolution but 576i is left at default). When I turn on the Duo and the last watched channel was LA7, the box seems to startup normally at 576i, but right before the end of the startup it switches to 1080 mode (the Video content box in the top-left confirms this) and finally it switches again to 576i. Not a serious issue, but causes a delay and it's a bit annoying to the eye.

It's strange that this does not happen on other SD channels (all Rai channels for example), only on LA7.

With the new high quality and HD Tvs, No need for AutoResolution plug-in, I recommand to disable it.

SatDreamer

Vu+ User
So, if the same happens with every tvsat channels, the problem has nothing to do with LA7 or SD or HD channels. By the way, what happens with the HD tvsat channels?
Yes, it also happens on the HD channels and seems to be a problem with Autoresolution and encrypted channels, at least the tivùsat ones I tried. I think the problem is caused by this: during startup, these channels are started at 1080/24. When decrypted, it switches to the correct video mode (576/25 or 1080/25). The Duo's OSD even reports LA7 as HD, which it isn't.
I don't know if Autoresolution is to blame or not (check screenshot, the TV reports 1080p/24 input, and that's why both SD/HD channels have the problem). This only happens once, at startup - not when switching channels.

With the new high quality and HD Tvs, No need for AutoResolution plug-in, I recommand to disable it.
I don't think this is correct. If you disable AutoResolution, you are also "disabling" your high-quality TV. Unless I'm mistaken, the Duo does NOT have a "passthrough" mode (to output exactly what it receives, SD for SD, HD for HD).

If you set the Duo to output 720p or 1080i, then it will display ALL channels in HD, including SD ones. The TV's high quality scaler will be made redundant.

If you set the Duo to output 576i, HD channels will be output as SD... and the TV will re-upscale them to HD. Very bad idea.

Attachments

• P1050879.JPG
    P1050879.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 8

SatDreamer

Vu+ User
A workaround for the problem: in the AutoResolution settings, there's a delay option: "Delay x seconds after service start". The default is 1 second. If I set it to 7 seconds or more, problem goes away. If I set it to less than 7 seconds, AutoResolution probably interferes with the encryption/decryption during startup and this video output double switching occurs.

Can anyone please tell me if the new models have a "passthrough" video output setting or AutoResolution is still required for this? Thanks.