WD Red 8TB mount frame problem

lIVIU

Vu+ Newbie
Hello everyone,

The problem is : the fixing holes from the frame for mounting the 3,5 Zoll HDD does not fit for WD HDD. Look in the picture, the places (black rubber) for fixing the HDD have other positions that what a WD hdd expect.

Does someone has a hint for me ?

Attachments

• IMG_1328.JPG
    IMG_1328.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 44

produde

Vu+ Newbie
Well, first of all is the WD RED a special HDD developed for use is NAS or SAN devices. The firmware is programmed for RAID usage in a 8 bay enclosure and not for singe drive use, so be prepared to have trouble with the HDD wake up (spin-up) functionality. If you must use it, then you can still use the 2 holes that match (but no recommeded as the HDD will be suffering higher vibration).

lIVIU

Vu+ Newbie
Well, first of all is the WD RED a special HDD developed for use is NAS or SAN devices. The firmware is programmed for RAID usage in a 8 bay enclosure and not for singe drive use, so be prepared to have trouble with the HDD wake up (spin-up) functionality. If you must use it, then you can still use the 2 holes that match (but no recommeded as the HDD will be suffering higher vibration).

Thx very much for info. I didn't know. Can you recommand a HDD that fits perfect for ultimo 4k? Silent, less vibrations etc.

produde

Vu+ Newbie
A simple 5400 rpm drive is preferable due to lower power and noise, like WD Blue (normal PC hdd). If you would like to have permanent time shift on or you will be writing a lot of video to the hdd then I would go for the WD Purple (surveillance). If you're gonna capture 4K streams, then go for WD Black (performance), however the enclosure will get hot (and the VU+ Ultimo 4K has no fans installed).
All of these drives are optimized for single drive usage, REDs are for Raid.
I was using an older WD Green drive for 5 years without a problem with temperature or performance.

lIVIU

Vu+ Newbie
A simple 5400 rpm drive is preferable due to lower power and noise, like WD Blue (normal PC hdd). If you would like to have permanent time shift on or you will be writing a lot of video to the hdd then I would go for the WD Purple (surveillance). If you're gonna capture 4K streams, then go for WD Black (performance), however the enclosure will get hot (and the VU+ Ultimo 4K has no fans installed).
All of these drives are optimized for single drive usage, REDs are for Raid.
I was using an older WD Green drive for 5 years without a problem with temperature or performance.
Thx for the tips. For me the most important is "silent" feature. Probable a WD green wiil fully satisfied my needs.

AlexWilMac

Yes, WD Green is perfect, but I don't agree with such alarmism about vibrations and noise if you fix your hdd with "only" two screws. It's not a TIR. And if you are so concerned, you can just help it with a double-sided tape (not the very thin similar to normal sellotapes but the one a little bit thick, about 1mm, that is also good for vibrations).

JtagPabb1e

Vu+ Newbie
Thx for the tips. For me the most important is "silent" feature. Probable a WD green wiil fully satisfied my needs.
Just installed a wd 2tb Green in my ultimo 4K but i cant comment on the performance etc until my system is set up, sorry.