« Sorry no device found to store backup ... »

Slothery

Vu+ Newbie
I have had a permanent problem with performing backup. I do not manage to solve it, although trying everything I can think of. The problem is that I get the following message when trying to make a Black Hole Full Backup:

« Sorry no device found to store backup. Please check your media in Black Hole devices panel. »

I have set up my Blackhole to mount to a CIFS share on a computer on the local network (LAN), and that this should be used as the HDD of Vu+. I have no HDD in the Vu+ zero unit.

Main Menu > Setup > System > Network > MountManager > Mountpoints Manager:
where in "Mount editor":
- Mount type = CIFS share
- use as HDD replacement = yes
- Mount options = rw

I can browse the backup directory of the mount with the Black Hole Media player, but for some reason the Black Hole backup function can not find the location. With the Black Hole Media player, I can play and store videos on the mounted CIFS share, so the share seems to work fine, so it is an annoying mystery why no backup can be performed.

Last edited:

Slothery

Vu+ Newbie
My system on Vu+ zero:
Firmware version: BlackHole 3.0.5.0 (2018-05-30-master)
Kernel / Drivers: 3.13.5 / N/A

nunigaia

My system on Vu+ zero:
Firmware version: BlackHole 3.0.5.0 (2018-05-30-master)
Kernel / Drivers: 3.13.5 / N/A

To perform a backup, with don´t you use an:

• Usb pen device.
You just need to format ( initialize ) this device ... and mount it as:

1. /media/hdd
  2. /media/usb
If you want the second choice ( /media/usb ), you just need to create a file named " backupstick " or " backupstick.txt ", on the root of your mapped device. Note that this files are 0 bytes files, i.e, just create the file and put it on the root of your media device where you want the backup will be perfomed.

best regards
nunigaia

Slothery

Vu+ Newbie
I do not get it. I know it is possible to use an USB-device, but I want to make the backup on the hardsisk (HDD) accessible via the local network (LAN). The HDD has been mounted correctly as far as I can see. Black Hole put two archives on my HDD, "backup" and "movie". I can record movies so they are stored in the archive called "movie" the HDD and I can play them.

AlexWilMac

Try the plugin Automatic FullBackup: it's useful also to schedule periodic backups. When I was a user of BH (and before OBH implented a similar function without the need of a plugin) I was a fan of this plugin. I had set it up to perform a fullbackup everyday on my NAS.
It's also nice because it might work in background mode non only in console mode (if you set it up this way): so you can go on using your decoder while it performs the backup.
And it has saved my "life" a lot of times because it allowed me to go back to whatever day I wanted (I had set it for a daily backup).

Attachments

• automatic-fullbackup_6.1_all.ipk
    769.8 KB · Views: 3

AlexWilMac

And another very comfortable feature of AFB is that you can flash your box using the saved backups directly by this plugin, without having to prepare any flash drives and directly from your sofa ;) (to do that, browse your backup file until you get into the vuplus/YOURBOX folder, otherwise it won't restore!).

Slothery

Vu+ Newbie
What is the difference between the Vu+ Black Hole images of vuplus-community.net,
vuplus-team.com, and vuplus-images.co.uk?

AlexWilMac

???? This is a free world (so far) and these are free forums about VU+ and VU+ images.
This is the official forum for BH and OBH images.

Slothery

Vu+ Newbie
Oh, so they discuss the same software. But what is the difference between Black Hole (BH) and Open Black Hole (OBH)?