A problem unique to VU+(DUO)?

Floriansky

Vu+ Newbie
Both me and a friend of mine share the same problem: Satellites disappearing from setup\search.

My firiend first lost every satellite except one: 28.2E
He's been unable to solve the problem, and since I have the same box I suggested he take it to my place so we might check it out. I thought maybe the Sat tuner was the source of the problem.

But no, my tuner in his box made no difference, and that was that.

Afterwards, when testing my box (that I had niot been using for several months), I'd bought it as a backup standby in case my 'very old' box should break down. (Which incidentally has ben working close to 100% perfect since I installed a fan and brought the temperature down, it no longer is hot to the touch), my box had a similar problem: I find all satellites available, but am unable to do a sat find or channel search on the 4.8E and 13.x (Hotbird) satellites. I start a search but nothing is found, signal strength is zero.

I uploaded a complete channel list earlier saved with DreamEdit, but that made no difference. We are both using the Black Hole v2.0.9 Image, would an update to the latest v2.1.5 be of any help in solving the problem?

As soon as I get the chance I will test the DUO2 on the same sat cables that I'm now using on my much older box to verify that there's nothing wrong with my hardware.

Anyone on the board got some clues about what our problem actually might be??

Last edited:

Mick12334

It depends on your set up, if using the Advanced option, in the Tuner, you need to set each satellite individually, thus go into Tuner, select 13E, LNB1, and set it up.
Are you using a motorized dish, or fixed dishes?
have you checked your satellites.xml file to see if the satellites are listed?
Please post more details, regarding yours, and your friends, satellite set up.

Floriansky

Vu+ Newbie
I believe I may have solved tjhe problem, will have to wait until new search is done. I installed latest version of image and was somewhat taken aback to discover that no satellites were installed. But from my Dreamedit files, I could install my old setup and I started an automatic search, it is now at 8% on 0.8W so there will be some time before I know if it will find anything at 4.9E (hope it may do the same as 4.8E), 13.0E is not so important but I believe both 193E and Cable will be there when I wake up tomorow. Will let you know, I may have learned something today!

Floriansky

Vu+ Newbie
Bingo! I put the U+ on the cables for my other box and all searches were good. The remaining problem that I have is with the TV connection:
I think I messed up on the initial setup, and on my old "HD Ready" TV, the HDMI connection says "Mode not supported" so I have to use a SCART cable, but on the Full HD tv the HDMI connection works. I will check if that can fe fixed in Setup.

Since I am used to images with all satellite info preloaded, I would prefer to have that for the VU+ as well. Are there alternative Images that I might try?

Mick12334

Go into Menu, Setup, System, AV Settings.
You can also adjust other settings, even more if you change the Customise option to Expert.

The VU+ is a Linux based receiver, designed to allow the user to add/remove components they want, it's not a simple plug & play receiver. There are other images but most are similar, where you can download plugins, and other accessories.
http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/forums/vu-other-unofficial-images.11/

You should really learn how to use Black Hole, and get the most from it, or another image, also learn how to use tools, like DreamboxEdit, where you can store, and alter, your channels, Bouquets, etc..
Also try the VU+ Control Centre, similar to the Dreambox version, and FileZilla, a free FTP program, included in the VU+ CC, which allows you to access your VU+ file system, from your PC.
It takes a lot of reading, and playing, to get a Linux based receiver set up for everything you can do with it, a bit like a PC running Linux software.

Floriansky

Vu+ Newbie
Another problem just materialized: I sent my friend instructions on how to flash a VU+ Duo, but the BHi installation came to an early hallt, before the rotating circle 'wait' came on. He said something about Enigma2 missing, a problem thaat I've never encountered. I don't know what to do about it except to search for more info on Enigma2, hoping I may get a clue about how to fix the problem. But xml files are no longer a problem.

Is it necessary to install a boot loader? I've never had to installl any such here. How do I know it is required?

I will look around in the VU+ to find where error log files can be found and see if I can locate one in my friend's box tomorrow.

Last edited:

Floriansky

Vu+ Newbie
My friends VU+ Duo2 is almost dead. Flashing BH makes no difference, but I can access the box with DCC. There is a crashlog from March 18th that I can send. I have been using a Lenovo portable but after downloading the file with DCC/FTP I found no way of getting attached to this post, but after copying it to the desktop, deleting it and copying it from there I opened it in Firefox, C&P'ed into MSWord, from there to an USB stick and took it to my stationary pc and here it is.

The file is a Word .doc file that I renamed to txt so it would be accepted for upload.

I am sorry, it was a mistake to use the portable but I had been working with that the whole morning
and didn't realize the problem it was befre too late. Won't do it again!

I've been trying to locate an Enigma2 file that I could install - I suspect it is gone or corrupt and I presume a reinstallation shoudl do no harm if it is the right version?

I am doing my best, at 85 it isn't all that easy...

I wasn't aware the upload hd not worked, so I had to name the doc file as a txt file. I hope you will fix that by opening it in Word and save in txt format if you need that. I really need a break now!

Attachments

• crashlog.txt
    133.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Floriansky

Vu+ Newbie
Was able to sit down and take stock of the problem of uploadig a proper zip version af the errror log. Hope that may point a way to the problem(s).

I downloaded a bootloader and it installed properply as far as I can tell but it made no difference.

Error log:

Attachments

• enigma2_crash_1426674195.zip
    17.5 KB · Views: 2

Floriansky

Vu+ Newbie
Found file Enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz, is there anything I can do with it? I seem to remember something about installing some type of files, but can't' recall how it was done. Many years since i did such things on a DM7020.

Mick12334

Can you please tell us what's happening, when you turn the VU+ Duo 2 on?
Note down the boot version, which appears briefly, when the receiver is powered up, not from standby. Does it have the last bootloader installed?

Floriansky

Vu+ Newbie
Here goes:

On power up, the intial Black Hole graphic image appears for a few seconds, then the screen goes blank.

With a USB stick with image to flash present in the front slot itt appears that it is accessed for a little while but then the activity ceases.

I downloaded the file that I attach here so you can see exactly what bootlader I installed. The installation seemed to work ok. Afterwards, a message to request that one of the files in the package would be deleted. I didn't know how to do it but maybe I might have found it somewhere if I had looked around with the DCC/FTP program.

But my attempt at flashing the BH image again was futile.

That's about all I have. But I wonder if it might be possible to load the backup file mentioned in my last post via telnet, but I don't think I am able to find out what linux command I should use.

Bootloader: VU+ Duo2 CFE V2 appars briefly in the main front display of the box when I switch powerr on.

Strange that it won't flash when bootloader is ok?

Attachments

• Duo2_CFE_V2.zip
    174.4 KB · Views: 3

Mick12334

I think it will probably flash.
Try using a different USB stick.
Format it, on your PC, to FAT 32.
Download a VU+ Duo2 Black Hole image, like 2.14:
http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/black-hole-vu-duo2-2-1-4.20129/
Copy the vuplus folder onto your newly formatted USB stick.
Turn off the VU+ Duo 2, at the rear, insert the USB stick into the front slot, behind the pull down flap.
Switch on the VU+ Duo 2, at the rear, and hold down the front power button, until the receiver states reading USB. Then see if the image loads.

Floriansky

Vu+ Newbie
Thank you! I was aware of the FAT32 issue, but somwhow the NTFS had snuck into the stick;) but now it is all ok. I should have guessed it before, the installation of bootloader was ok, so why shoulldn't the image also install?