BH 1.7.6 : restore Full Backup?

arnakke

Vu+ Newbie
I would be very grateful if someone will instruct me (or link to) how to restore my Full Backup. Searches have been fruitless..... everyone asks how to backup :wallbash:: a clear choice is given in BH Main Menu: 'BlackHole Full Backup' , but nowhere do I find: Restore BlackHole Full Backup.

I have saved the backup to /media/hdd/ and via FTP I see/find in media/hdd/backup: enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz . Is this a 'BH package' or.....?

Thanks for any help

a911

The BH Lover
@a911

You mean he must copy the Backup on a USB- Stick ?
Directly un zip the file to the stick!

Please note ,this file : "enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz " is not a full BH backup file, its only settings bakup , where it can be restored normally thru the tool : software management!
Full BH File backup ends with : .zip!

arnakke

Vu+ Newbie
@a911

You mean he must copy the Backup on a USB- Stick ?

Thank you for pointing that out 'ulli534' .... 'a911' likes giving help/instruction in bits and pieces and leaving the rest to ... 'trial and error'

This may sound like I am ungrateful (?), ... but when one considers that the file has to be located (?) and .... then how to transfer it to a USB-stick... without mentioning how it should be placed in the USB-stick?
Point in fact: The first instruction I read about installing an image said I had to create a folder 'duo' inside a folder called 'vuplus' and then place image-file in the 'duo' folder. I did that and the image did not install :wallbash: .... later I found out current images create 'duo' and 'vuplus' folders. So inside 'duo' I had another 'vuplus' folder with a duo' folder inside that one(??!!)

Question: Do I just copy *enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz' that I found in /media/hdd/backup (using FTP client) directly (root) to fat32 formatted USB or do I create and place backup in 'duo' folder that is placed in 'vuplus' folder?

(PS I did not see 'a911' had already responded, sorry)

arnakke

Vu+ Newbie
@a911

1. When I unzip 'enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz' to the USB-stick there is a folder 'etc' and inside this folder 2 folders 'enigma2', 'network' and 3 files. Is this how it should be?

2. @a911, when you write: "The same as U install a new image, use the front USB,,,etc!" I get/got the impression you meant I would be installing Black Hole 1.7.6 image in addition to .... what I had added to it; i.e. a FULL backup. I understand that is not the case.

3. In BH Software Management there are 5 choices; I am guessing I choose ' Restore system settings'? If this is correct, then my FULL Black Hole backup is = system settings'? One can get confused by less.....

Dzoni

BH Lover
No any reason for confuse.
FULL BH image back up You create via main menu in Vu+ box. After that via PC and some FTP commander (winscp,Total Commander...)enter in box where is full back up(usb or hdd). Put Your USB stick on PC and via FTP commander transfer full back up file to usb. That is it.
"Soft" back up can make via software manager and when You install new image on same way You will can restore it (in sowtware manager-restore saved settings).

a911

The BH Lover
@a911

1. When I unzip 'enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz' to the USB-stick there is a folder 'etc' and inside this folder 2 folders 'enigma2', 'network' and 3 files. Is this how it should be?

No need to unzip,,,this file used to backup settings only, such as channel list,,,,etc!
Then use the restore function @ Software manager.

2. @a911, when you write: "The same as U install a new image, use the front USB,,,etc!" I get/got the impression you meant I would be installing Black Hole 1.7.6 image in addition to .... what I had added to it; i.e. a FULL backup. I understand that is not the case.

Just as I have written > the same as installing a new image!
No speculation!

3. In BH Software Management there are 5 choices; I am guessing I choose ' Restore system settings'? If this is correct, then my FULL Black Hole backup is = system settings'? One can get confused by less.....

Full Backup means every things U have at your STB > skins, plugins,,,,etc!

When writing little instruction , am encouraging the user to search and read about the image he is using!

And Dear arankke,,,what am doing is a happy, not a job and every day am learning more from other users!
Plus I resent the arguing way U are using, it seems that you are looking for vaulty replies !
Please remember ,we are here to help enjoying our STB and the BH image, thats all Fox,,,;) !

arnakke

Vu+ Newbie
@Dzoni
No any reason for confuse.
FULL BH image back up You create via main menu in Vu+ box. After that via PC and some FTP commander (winscp,Total Commander...)enter in box where is full back up(usb or hdd). Put Your USB stick on PC and via FTP commander transfer full back up file to usb. That is it.
"Soft" back up can make via software manager and when You install new image on same way You will can restore it (in sowtware manager-restore saved settings).

No reason to be confused.....have you not read what 'a911' wrote? You and 'a911' are saying different things about the same thing.

'a911': "Directly un zip the file to the stick!" ....and
'Dzoni': "Put Your USB stick on PC and via FTP commander transfer full back up file to usb. That is it." ...you say nothing about unzipping or what to do when this is done?????

'a911': "its only settings bakup , where it can be restored normally thru the tool : software management!"
'Dzoni': "Soft" back up can make via software manager and when You install new image on same way You will can restore it (in sowtware manager-restore saved settings).

'Dzoni'... are you saying I don't have to use Software management to restore Full backup? ...... and

'A911' says Full backup is only 'settings bakup' ...... then why not write ' Full settings Backup' and ' Personal settings Backup' .... leaving out 'BlackHole' altogether?

I thought BlackHole Full Backup = Full Backup of BlackHole = Clone of my image; am I the only one who thought that?

arnakke

Vu+ Newbie
@'a911'

Did you not write this: "Directly un zip the file to the stick!" ?
Did you not write this: "No need to unzip,,,this file used to backup settings only, such as channel list,,,,etc!
Then use the restore function @ Software manager."

I am not being argumentative.... when I point this out: first you say ' un zip' and...... later.... 'No need to unzip' ..... when talking about how to handle the same file.

Do I just copy 'enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz' to my USB stick (like dzoni sais) , power down vu+ box and then place stick in the front USB socket and power up?

And when this is done => Software management => Restore system setting......?

Dzoni

BH Lover
@arnakke

1. Don't make confusion here !

I and @a911 speak about same thinks. If You not understand which we explaining You, sorry it is Your problem.
You can search forum and find explanation about all if not understood us!

Final-last explain:

1. "SOFT" back up You can perform on 2 way : first from main menu on "personal back up" when You get list what You want to back up. Back Up will be stored on device which You choose(usb or hdd on box).You will may to restored it on new image when You enter to "Personal back up" on main menu and click "restore".
Second way for settings back up is from software manager. That back up You can restore automaticly when install new image (You will ne asked for it on start)

2. FULL back up is complete back up of image. Available is in "Full BH back up" . It will be stored on device which You choose (hdd or usb). When You need to restore full BH back up, You doing it on same way like install new image via front USB !!! If You do not know how to install classic image try to find on forum. Users need to learn, can not get it all prepared !

arnakke

Vu+ Newbie
@'a911'
@'Dzoni'

My apologies; I am truly sorry. And thank you for staying with me.....!

I now see I made a mistake. I just made a new 'Full back up' and see the saved file is different from the first one. I made a 'personal back up' the first time and did not know it. I see what is needed here to do a full restore: it is called 'fullbackup' (not just 'backup') and contains vuplus and duo folders.

I also see that there is no file to unzip....just copy 'vuplus' to USB stick and flash it like a regular image. Please believe me, I did not know what you were telling me, and yes 'Dzoni' I was confused, because I did not know I had made a 'personal back up'.

Basil

Vu+ User
@'a911'
@'Dzoni'

My apologies; I am truly sorry. And thank you for staying with me.....!

I now see I made a mistake. I just made a new 'Full back up' and see the saved file is different from the first one. I made a 'personal back up' the first time and did not know it. I see what is needed here to do a full restore: it is called 'fullbackup' (not just 'backup') and contains vuplus and duo folders.

I also see that there is no file to unzip....just copy 'vuplus' to USB stick and flash it like a regular image. Please believe me, I did not know what you were telling me, and yes 'Dzoni' I was confused, because I did not know I had made a 'personal back up'.

In other words,is settings included in "BH full backup" if i perform that instead of "personal backup"?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

arnakke

Vu+ Newbie
In other words,is settings included in "BH full backup" if i perform that instead of "personal backup"?

The short answer, 'Basil' is yes; in other words...... I just did a restore; "BlackHole Full Backup" is a clone of the image at the moment of making the backup.

I'm adding this for the benefit of others too......

If you are making a full backup for the first time, pay attention to the instructions given on screen when the backup is completed; see picture. Is the backup saved to the harddrive you should find it here: media/hdd/fullbackup/vuplus using a FTP client. In FileZilla I could not copy 'vuplus' to the PC, it had to be 'dragged and dropped'

I see now it can also be transferred directly to a USB stick. And if you make additional backups they will be saved/stored according to date.

Once you've done this the restore procedure is the same as a new installation. ...

Attachments

• Full back up completed.jpg
    Full back up completed.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 101

Basil

Vu+ User
The short answer, 'Basil' is yes; in other words...... I just did a restore; "BlackHole Full Backup" is a clone of the image at the moment of making the backup.

I'm adding this for the benefit of others too......

If you are making a full backup for the first time, pay attention to the instructions given on screen when the backup is completed; see picture. Is the backup saved to the harddrive you should find it here: media/hdd/fullbackup/vuplus using a FTP client. In FileZilla I could not copy 'vuplus' to the PC, it had to be 'dragged and dropped'

I see now it can also be transferred directly to a USB stick. And if you make additional backups they will be saved/stored according to date.

Once you've done this the restore procedure is the same as a new installation. ...

Please helpppp!
I did a BH full backup and after that i installed vix image just to have a look..
As i restored my BH image,on boot up,i get to see VIX logo before BH Boot logo...how do i get rid of that?

niglou

BH Lover
Give a look with your FTP program what lies in /boot : normally there is 3 .mvi files may be the vix one has not been erased ?....

That would mean that full backup is not as full as it is supposed to be.

May be worth a try to flash with "original" BH 1.7.6.

Basil

Vu+ User
Give a look with your FTP program what lies in /boot : normally there is 3 .mvi files may be the vix one has not been erased ?....

That would mean that full backup is not as full as it is supposed to be.

May be worth a try to flash with "original" BH 1.7.6.

I saw three .mvi files,didn't know which to delete.
I did a fresh BH 1.7.6 image flash.But i would still like to know why it happened that way.
Thanks for your reply.

Basil

Vu+ User
What is the result with "fresh" BH 1.76 ? Did it erase the boot.mvi from VIX ?

Yes,it did.
I think the problem was i 4got to ftp the backup file from the usb to pc after backup.I removed the usb & flashed vix rightaway.When i wanted to restore BH,i plugged the usb to my pc & i didn't see the file,so i connected it back to my ultimo(now running on vix) & was able to locate the file via ftp.Then i ftp it to pc & dragged it to usb,plugged it to the front & flashed.When i switched on the box,vix logo came up b4 BH logo....