Booting to green screen with no text.

pippatron

Vu+ Newbie
Hi to everybody on forum.
I have first VU (duo2) box after many years with Dreambox.
I also have Prismcube on order.
I now find myself looking on this forum Quite often.

After a clean install of Black Hole 2.0.6
My VUDuo2 boots to green screen cycle. Sometimes it boots to green screen with text
detailing a number of random errors but most times it just boots to a clear green screen with no text
This is something i have never come across before.
I know how stable Black Hole image is as i have used this image since purchasing Vu box more than three month ago without any issues whatsoever.

I personally think the box is faulty and have contacted the supplying dealer to return for repair
He tells me that nearly all green screen issues are software related and if this is the case i will have to pay for any postage and repairs.
I have also been told this could be a Jtag issue. Just wondering if any members are familiar with this problem
Any info would be much appreciated
Regards.
Pippatron.

paolino

Vu+ User+++
Post a crashlog and next try with original Vu+ image. Maybe you installed some plugin, which caused GSOD.

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
After a clean install of Black Hole 2.0.6
Only to understand better the situation, do you mean that just after you received and unboxed the Duo2, you powered it on only to test if it was working (and it was working, true?) and then soon you flashed BH 2.0.6 without installing anything, and after flashing you can get only the famous GSOD on boot?

During flashing did you keep another pen drive connected to the rear USB ports?

Last edited:

pippatron

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks for the replies. I have used the box for three months with Black Hole image 2.0.5 and recently 2.0.6 with no problems whatsoever. Problem started when i noticed the box had turned itself on a couple of days ago but only the lcd screen was illuminated i couldn't turn it of with the remote so i rebooted with the switch on the rear from then it booted with green screen.
I re flashed the box with latest Black Hole several times . clean install withe no backups installed afterwards or plugins
It just immediately boots to a green screen cycle.
I have not yet tried to install original image i will try on Sunday as i am not home.

Eragon. Thinking about it i did have a USB stick in the upper rear slot as i used the lower rear slot to install image as i find it more reliable than the front one.
I cant post a crash log as i cant access the box due to green screen boot cycle.

Matrix10

Administrator
I still think there is something wrong with the image and not box.
You can try first to install original image
then again BH image.
But do not install plugins in the image until you are sure that box is working or not.
After installation remove all USB sticks and is the best to test with no HDD/USB connected.

Of course it is best to give the box to repair if it does not work with the original image.

pippatron

Vu+ Newbie
OK, I removed USB and HDD and did another clean install of latest Black Hole, same result continual green screen.
I then did clean install of latest VTi image with the same result.
I then installed latest Vu stock image I can get it to boot but pretty much same result lots of crashes and green screens.
I think i am out of options there doesn't seem to be anything left to try.
I know green screens are usually software related but i get this problem with nothing connected and nothing installed other than the stock image.

Matrix10

Administrator
By this seems to, however, that the problem is in HW
and then there is no other choice but give the box to repair .

Eragon

Vu+ User+++
I think i am out of options there doesn't seem to be anything left to try.
I know green screens are usually software related but i get this problem with nothing connected and nothing installed other than the stock image.
Indeed you have still another option to try, the last...;)

Remove also all the internal tuners from the Duo2 and see if it can boot correctly.

If you're lucky in this case you have only a problem with one of the tuners, not with the box.

yummer

BH Lover
By this seems to, however, that the problem is in HW
and then there is no other choice but give the box to repair .
Matrix is there any possibility that the CFE boot loader can be corrupted somehow? Or is this not possible?

yummer

BH Lover
Shiro also stated that a vfd update is necessary after 2.0.5 what is this?(is it for vfd display) How is it done? Can this cause issues?

pippatron

Vu+ Newbie
Heard back from supplier it seems there is a hardware problem.
Its now on rout to Germany and if they cant fix it its of to Korea.
Looks like i could be several weeks without my receiver.