Duo2 Dead - White LED / Blank VFD and no Boot

marcus1975

Vu+ Newbie
Duo2 Dead - White LED / Blank VFD and no Boot
I bought the Duo2 almost 2 years ago from world-of-satellite.co.uk which its now out of warranty . it's been flawless until now, the screen went blank and now the box appears to be dead.

When the Duo2 is powered up from the switch at the rear, the white LED lights up, the HDD spins but there's nothing on the VFD screen and the system won't boot.
It doesn't appear to be possible to load anything from the front USB since the prompt on the VFD screen doesn't show.

Is there a tool similar to the ones used for boxes like the DM500 to reflash the box if it's a software corruption issue? I really hope it's something not too difficult to rectify.
I did a search to see if anyone else had a fix for this but all I found were some people with the same problem with no solutions.

I'm grateful for any replies and help smile1.gif

el bandido

Vu+ User
Connect a computer to the rs232 port of the receiver, and reboot the receiver. You will see some output from the rs232 port if the receiver is still alive and recoverable. You may use putty and select a serial session to do this.

marcus1975

Vu+ Newbie
Connect a computer to the rs232 port of the receiver, and reboot the receiver. You will see some output from the rs232 port if the receiver is still alive and recoverable. You may use putty and select a serial session to do this.

Hi first of all I would like to thank you for your advise.

please could you explain how and where I would see some output from the rs232 port if the receiver is still alive and recoverable. (on my laptop ?)

Can you also advise how to use putty

thanks

marcus1975

Vu+ Newbie
if I installed a new one of these
Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-supply-VU-Ultimo-Duo2/321818729062?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=33120&meid=166929184e394659bac581d29b335c83&pid=100033&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=321818729062

would it work ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick12334

Unknown as it might be a power supply problem, but equally it could be a different problem, hardware, or software.
You could try inserting a USB stick, loaded with an image, in the front USB port, switch on, at the rear, and hold down the front power button, to see if the USB stick is recognized, but as it doesn't seem to be even loading the bootup screen, I doubt it will work.
If you have a local PC shop, television repair shop, or anyone with a circuit board tester, you could ask them to locate the problem, providing the price is reasonable, otherwise it's a case of inspecting the parts, to look for signs of damage, bulging capacitors, or blackened surface, but a local repair shop would be a better idea.
You might also try contacting your supplier, even though it's out of warranty, they might offer to have it repaired, at cost.

el bandido

Vu+ User
Hi first of all I would like to thank you for your advise.

please could you explain how and where I would see some output from the rs232 port if the receiver is still alive and recoverable. (on my laptop ?)

Can you also advise how to use putty

thanks
If the receiver is alive at all, you will see information when the receiver is first booted. The serial or rs232 information from the receive is displayed using putty or a similar serial interface.
(1) You will need a serial port or an usb serial device that is configured correctly for your computer.
(2) You will need to download and install Putty.

These two steps are the hardest. If you can get this far, the rest of it is easy.