DUO2: looking for something like a WD TV player ....

GSp

Vu+ User
Hi,
I am currently having a Western Digital TV player and I essentially use it to acces and play my movies from a NAS system to my TV. I also use it to retrieve movie data & picture so that it shows-up nicely on the TV (friend of mine is doing this on his pc using PLEX).

Is there an application (plugin/addons) that would do that on the Vu+Duo2 ?

Thx,
GS

Matrix10

Administrator
Hi,
I am currently having a Western Digital TV player and I essentially use it to acces and play my movies from a NAS system to my TV. I also use it to retrieve movie data & picture so that it shows-up nicely on the TV (friend of mine is doing this on his pc using PLEX).

Is there an application (plugin/addons) that would do that on the Vu+Duo2 ?

Thx,
GS

Mount NAS if you can, end test.

Try with Network Configuration >>NetworkBrowser
If you can/have mount you can try to use Media Player, movie player (or Advanced Movie Selection plugin you have to download from server) and Picture Player (in plugins)

Im not using NAS but network drive.
I think in your NAS you have to enable nfs and you have to enable r/w for your box IP
In NetworkBrowser you have to nfs mount NAS folder/folders you like to use in your box.

Last edited:

GSp

Vu+ User
Thanks. My question was not related to NAS (no problem to mount in NFS or CIFS), it was much more related to the media player aspect. So far, the plugin I found are very poor in terms of functionnality compared to a WD TV player ...
I was just trying to see if I could remove one device and use the Duo2 for (almost) everything ...
Rgds,
GS

GSp

Vu+ User
Unfortunately enigma2 is not a media player.
Thanks. Strange comment, would I say. Yes, I am a newbie therefore do not hesitate to correct me if wrong, and this is my current understanding :
  • enigma2 is a Linux like Operating System pre-installed on the Duo2 system, and then as such you are right saying that it is not a media player. Thus enigma2 alone only provides a telnet/ssh session to issue linux commands
  • BH is a layer that comes on top of enigma2 to provide a user interface so that the system is usable by "everybody"
  • on top of BH, there are addons/plugins developped by the community to bring additional functionnality to BH ==> this is where I would expect something like WD TV player
Anyway, thanks for your time and your answers

Matrix10

Administrator
Something like that.

But to be able to use something like WD TV player
you have to have all the support for various video and audio formats and codecs, then again the issue of licenses, processors, etc.

When I see questions related to this I run away ..
One cheap player can all more and better.
Perhaps the next generation of receivers will be able, much more.

GSp

Vu+ User
When I see questions related to this I run away ..

sorry then to have you run away ... ;) and yes, you are right, the WD player is a cheap device (+/- €90) doing its job very well ... nevertheless, if you could do it all in one device, why would you keep 2 ?:blink:

again, thanks for your time.
GS

Matrix10

Administrator
I understand your and not only your arguments
but unfortunately the possibilities are limited.
This question is repeated for years, since there is an enigma ,
at least so far.

Nice Monkey

Vu+ User
One thing is what a box potentially could do and another thing is what a vendor can sell or support at a given price.
Media Players supported by BH will play a lot of media but not everything. They don't play BD 3D content, Blu-ray's with Menu's, Blu Ray ISO's, External subtitles in the many formats that exist together with DVD or BD, do not support scrapers, Microsoft audio/video formats etc. For many of these things licenses are involved or are complex to program and support. Obviously everybody wants players to be cheap but capable to do all of this also. There are units that come very close to this, but they are never cheap and never will be.
The Vu+ and BH strategy is 'do only legal things'. Alone that fact restricts the scope of what can be supported specifically in the media field. Many Asian products do not care too much there. Also open comunity products may implement things just when it technically can be done.

But some things work really nice. I have seen and used many Music Players but the one that best suits my usage is YAMP running on my VU+ UNO right now.

Last edited:

honyyy

Vu+ Newbie
what about a plex client for Enigma2? I know there's a plugin called DreamPlex... the man is doing great job, but it's still very limited considering how long it's been out. The idea might be to implemt a functionality like eg. ChromeCast has? a simple streaming HUB that can be fed with anything... youtube / but primarily plex stream = any video, any audio, any photo from your plex media server. I'm pretty new to Enigma, just bought Duo2 but I've had Plex for a long time... and if Enigma gets this on... you will get all multimedia on at the same time. For those who don't know plex yet (plex.tv) check it out!!! it's amazing what you can do there. If you'd like me to say more here... any questions.. please ask!

GSp

Vu+ User
@honyyy: indeed, PLEX is exactly the functionnality I am looking for ! The ones talking about licenses issue obviously missed the point, since the Vu+ already contains what is needed to play most video files (*.avi, *.mkv, etc ...)

honyyy

Vu+ Newbie
@honyyy: indeed, PLEX is exactly the functionnality I am looking for ! The ones talking about licenses issue obviously missed the point, since the Vu+ already contains what is needed to play most video files (*.avi, *.mkv, etc ...)

I like you man! ;-) i think you should support my thread made yesterday! We need to get the info out here... The more people know about it the bigger chance is to get a smart guy to fill this gap on On Blackhole and our little babies! ;-)

honyyy

Vu+ Newbie
ok, my thread is closed (I guess the info was put in a wrong place... anyway... they were supposed to appreciate my input there! ungratefull guys...)

I will open a new forum dedicated to Plex Media Center! ;-)

Matrix10

Administrator
ok, my thread is closed (I guess the info was put in a wrong place... anyway... they were supposed to appreciate my input there! ungratefull guys...)

I have to respond to this.

What do you mean.

I have not read anywhere a negative comment on your topic except
You have put the topic in the wrong place and immediately give a negative comment.

If you do not have a legitimate reason then such comments are not welcome here.

We want to have a friendly discussion here.

So you can open the topic but at the appropriate place.

paolino

Vu+ User+++

I'm here to help, and keep this Forum in order to help other members to find usefull informations ;) on right places.

It's an education at first to introduce yourself, when joining Forum and not to make negative comments without a reason.
You joined us on Friday and I hope, that you'll grow up and you'll be helpy for other members :).

honyyy

Vu+ Newbie
I'm sorry to make you feel this way about my comments guys.. but I was only joking and hope it wasn't so bad ;-) cool? ;-) still smiling... you see :) kisses to lovely Matrix, kind regards to cool Paolino ;-)

I will be more serious about what I say here I promise... ;-) now, I guess... I will go and read through the rules... and introduce myself - I hope to be able to find where I'm supposed to do that because I was already trying to in 10 minutes that I had yestarday while looking for the latest image - btw. it's looks really great!!! ;-) and also tell you about the Plex guys!!! because you don't know what you miss! ;-)

GSp

Vu+ User
@honyyy : Hi fellow, I guess this is what we are asking for : http : //prismcube . com/ (*) for our fantastic VU+ machine ....

(*): sorry for that, but too newbie to post link ..... (strange rule by the way ...)

honyyy

Vu+ Newbie
XMBC is a great thing, but Plex is even better... :) it builds on it... and I'd personally appreciate a possibility to control the client on Enigma2 via a Plex remote on eg. phone or tablet. When you wanna play some music, no need to turn on your TV... simply sort it out on any Plex client with lovely multimedia interface - which is btw considered to be the most advanced remote in the world ;-) man, you need to install Plex Server on your PC / MAC to see what I mean (data sits on a server / NAS running Plex Server - > the client is whatever, wherever). Btw. Plex can also stream to ChromeCast (HDMI dongle from Google) - if the streaming hub could be completed as a plugin on Enigma2 which can't be so difficult (appeareanly it's a standard communication protocol called DIAL)... great stuff!!! ;-)

Check out DreamPlex... it's the only project exist for Enigma2 integration with Plex.

Last edited:

GSp

Vu+ User
you need to install Plex Server on your PC / MAC to see what I mean (data sits on a server / NAS running Plex Server - > the client is whatever, wherever)

Yes, I know that, already done. But what about running the enigma2 system as a PLEX Server, that would be the ideal solution (for me) ...