Duo2 - Tuner configuration for motorised dish

Satdumbum

Vu+ Newbie
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help with my Duo2 tuner settings (Black Hole of course). I have 1x dual dvb-s2 tuner installed fed by 2 coax from twin output LNB with tuner A cable looped through a positioner which works well. I can scan, tune and allocate satellites via tuner A in advanced setup. I have tuner B set as "Second cable of motorised LNB". With these settings i am able to watch and record 2 channels. Vu literature says you can record up to 16 Channels! I figured with a dual tuner on that basis I should be able to do 8. SO am I being Greedy? Is 2 tuned signals my Limit? Clearly the signals must originate from the same sat I did not check they were from the same transponder

Also should tuner A be set to "advanced, all satellites 1, LNB 33"??? When I have finished scanning individual birds. Why LNB 33???? My head hurts! Help!

Many thanks for your assistance, it is appreciated.

paolino

Vu+ User+++
@Satdumbum : In your case when on two TPs is transmitted 8 channels for TP, you should be able to record up to 16.

What kind of positioner do you have? Diseqc 1.2, USALS?

Mick12334

I have tuner A set to advanced, also using a positioner, V-Box II, to interact with the motor, but Tuner A is set to LNB 1.
When you have the recording, to a hard drive, working, you can access the channels and see which others are available to you, on that tuner, as I have viewed other channels while recording, but only channels on the same transponder.

Satdumbum

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks guys. I have a technomate TM-2300 M2 DISEqC H-H motor. I use DISEqC 1.2 because USALS does not give me accurate results (despite paying a local CAI contractor £180 to align it, as i cannot get to the dish because of spinal disability). What i'm really confused about is should tuner config be moved from individual named satellite to all satellites 1, LNB 33 when exiting setup?

Mick12334

It shouldn't matter if you use Diseqc 1.2, or Usals, as if your dish is aligned both should do the same.
For Usals you need to enter your correct latitude, and longitude, negative longitude readings = West, positive = East.
When using Diseqc 1.2 you need to manually store each satellite, and assign a position, e.g. 1, 19.2E, 2 16E, 3, 28.2E etc, it doesn't matter which numbers are assigned to which satellite.
I can't work out why you've got it set to All Satellites, in image 1, yet 53E, in image 2.
Can you please explain, in more detail, how you've set your motor up, using Diseqc 1.2.

Satdumbum

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks, yes I understand both USALS and DISEQC. I use DISEQC positioning and allocating satellites manualy as USALS is innacurate for me. I merely showed the images to illustrate the options I am talking about, usals/DISEqC has no bearing on it. My motor works fine in DISEqC. I just want to know if the "all satellites, usb33" setting is how to leave the tuner in normal use. I have my second tuner set as "second cable of motorised lnb". I'm sorry if I'm not making myself clear here. ALL the illustrated settings give a picture and both outputs of lnb work. It just seems to me that "All satellites" setting is logical for a motorised setup. Am I maybe being pedantic, does it matter? I just like to thoughorly understand tech settings. Before you ask I don't think I'm OCD!

Satdumbum

Vu+ Newbie
Sorry, cross purposes. I just realized you guys were talking about simple, usals, motorised setup. This will not work for me as my usals is off by a mile. I use advanced diseqc 1.2 with good results, apart from the recording issue. I guess the best answer is reallign the dish. Still love my duo2 tho. Still discovering things it can do.

Mick12334

If your dish is tracking the satellite arc, correctly, then you don't need to re-align your dish.
If you want to use USALS just change your longitude position, until it matches where your dish is, this is usually used when a dish has moved, during Winter gales, and compensates until you can get to re-align it in spring, or summer.

Satdumbum

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks mick. My satellite arc seems fine with strong signal east to west. My position I have fixed by gps and dishpointer but usals is out by a country mile. I have tried varying the coordinates to compensate but I would be better hitting the dish with a stick. I can't work it out because as you say the tracked arc is precise when transponders are found and tuned manually. I have heard that this is an issue with technomate positioners and usals. The dish has only just been proffessionaly set up and has certainly not moved. Interestingly I had the same problem with usals using my tbs5925 usb tuner. My brother with a big prime focus dish and 36v positioner on a regular duo also has a problem with usals here in Cheshire and also at his house in Ibiza. It seems usals does not work for everyone, that is why I'm using advanced/diseqc 1.2 on my duo2. As you seem a clued up kind of a sat geek I wonder if you know of a detailed breakdown and explanation of all blackhole/vu advanced tuner Settings? Thanks again for trying to help me.

Mick12334

Tuner settings all depend on your satellite setup, as you can have multiple fixed dish/LNB inputs, a motorized dish, and fixed dish set up, or just the simpler one motorized, or one fixed dish.
I am just using a 1.2M motorized dish, with twin output LNB, 36V motor, and V-Box II, so all I have done is manually stored positions, on my V-Box II and used the DiseQc 1.2 option, and advanced tuner configuration, on Tuner A, to match the positions to my V-Box II.
You can set Tuner B equal to Tuner A, which is probably the easiest, or try the various options, I never tried the All Satellites option, and I am currently using the second LNB input for my old receiver, a Spiderbox 9000 HD, as this is easier to use to finish the dish maintenance, cleaning, changing the LNB, and fine tuning the alignment, to get the maximum signal before Winter.
Unfortunately the weather, at the weekends, has been too bad to complete my work, ranging from heavy rains, to high winds, none of which helps when working on a satellite dish.

Satdumbum

Vu+ Newbie
Good luck with the weather. Sorry slow getting back, I have health problems an had a few bad days. Yes, I am aware how settings change. I am not completely green as in the 80's I held an NEC satellite dealership installing analogue a/v systems for the great and the good of Cheshire. NEC was a premium product with a price to match and the manuals and service info was superb. However I've been away from the satellite TV scene for over 20 years and everything but the laws of physics has changed, and my heads a lot older and more befuddled! Getting back to tuner settings it seems to be a lot of trial and error. I have tried to find a definitive duo2 guide but the only one available is in German, the vu literature being somewhat lacking in detail. If you ever come across anything like a definitive duo2 guide please let me know!

The usals inacurracy I have seems to be an issue with the technomate positioner, other people report the same problem. My tracked arc is correct and satellites can be found and tuned manually with diseqc 1.2.

My satellite tv winter prep will involve red wine and a sweater.

Satdumbum

Vu+ Newbie
I also have a second tuner to fit and have resisted doing so because I didn't want to make the potential for mistakes even greater. Baby steps me Thinks!

del6600

Vu+ User
Hi

I found these instructions a year or so ago so hope the person who wrote then does not mind my posting. I found them to work 100%

====================================================================================
Manual motor setup engima2 !

STAGE 1.
GOTO Main Menu \ Setup \ Service Searching \ Tuning
Press "OK" on "TUNER A"
Use L/R keys to change Configuration Mode to "advanced"
Move down to "SATELLITE"
Use L/R keys to select the satellite you want to add
Underneath that set "Use USALS" for this satellite to "no" using L/R keys
Go down to "Stored position"
Set the position you want to this satellite to appear at using L/R keys ie 001, 002 etc
Go down to "LNB"
Use L/R keys to select "LNB 1"
Next ensure "Diseqc Mode" is " 1.2"
"Toneburst" is "B"
(I left the others at the default setting's)
Go further down and input your Latitude and Longtitude using the numeric keys
(I inputted my Lat & Long information but I don't think it will make any difference unless you use USALS !)
Scroll further down to "LOF" and set it to "Universal LNB" using the L/R keys
Then Press "OK" to save the info you have inputted.

You will need to perform this for each Satellite position you intend to set up.

STAGE 2.
GOTO back to Main Menu \ Setup \ Service Searching \ Positioner setup
Go down to "Positioner storage"
Use L/R keys to set the postion number that is to be setup
Go up to "Tune"
Press the "Red Button"
Using L/R keys select "Predefined or Manual transponder" as required
(I suspect the Predefined settings uses the satellites.xml file and manual you get to choose what you want to scan)
Go down to "Satellite" and use the L/R keys to select the Satellite to place at the above Storage postion
Press "OK"
Go down to "Positioner movement"
Use the coloured buttons to search or move the dish left or right until "Locked" is acheived
Go back to "Positioner storage"
Press the GREEN button to store that location

You will need to perform this for each position you intend to set up in line with what you did in stage 1.

=======================================================================

If you are still having problems, I hope this will help.

Satdumbum

Vu+ Newbie
Thanks Del, I have really no problems with setup but thank you anyway. I was just confused about the "all satellites" setting. Which I've now discovered is a usals option. Anyone looking for a settings guide should try the openvix guide there is a lot of communality and it is excellent! In fact I've migrated to openvix, that is probably heresy on this forum.