EyeTV & Vu+

AlexWilMac

No, dear, is like I said in the other thread. And, by the way, what do you mean by EyeTV? There is the EyeTv software but also EyeTV HW. If you mean the software, it is made to manage a USB TV stick. So, no relationships to VU+...
If you mean the HW, the USB TV Stick, I don't know but I'd be surprised. But, above all, if you had a EyeTV USB device, would you connect to a VU+ instead of your Mac? What for?

GPap1981

Vu+ Newbie
I mean the software, in EyeTV's page it says that "you can use EyeTV software with SAT IP Servers". P.S. Not every SAT IP Server is supported, however.
Maybe this is a very stupid question but, with a lot of imagination, if I connect Elgato HW (I have Hybrid also) to USB port of VU+ , it can streams the signal ? :)

AlexWilMac

I don't know: I use EyeTV software with a Terratec, on Mac. So I cannot answer. But I can't see why you should do such a complicated run around a very simple task. You have a box with tuners which is able to stream each channel in your bouquets and you prefer (in case it worked) to connect an external tuner to be managed by specific drivers from the box to perform, basically, the same function? Weird.
Anyway, I don't know enough about SAT>IP. So, I'm not the right person to help you with this method. I like simple but effective ways to do tasks ;)

GPap1981

Vu+ Newbie
I'm used to use EyeTV 3 Software and I find it very easy and simple. I have to learn VLC etc.
Now, I'm just searching how to record and for the right VU+ model which fits my needs.
Thank you for everything.

AlexWilMac

It's your VU+ the PVR: so it is perfect for recording. Then you can easily watch also the recordings to your Mac sharing the VU+ HDD.
VLC is just a multimedia player, nothing special. I don't think EyeTV (software) is able to connect to every IP streams, although there is an option in it. I'll try it as soon as possible, just for curiosity.
Surely, passing by Elgato HW connected to the VU+ is really a useless complication, unless you wish to use it because your Elgato is a DVB-T tuner and you don't have one in your VU+. Which Elgato do you own?

GPap1981

Vu+ Newbie
I have Elgato Hybrid (for Analog and Digital signal).
I'm not sure if I connect the Sat cable to VU+ LNB In and using an Irdeto CAM Module with my smart card, then this setup will works. And it's not a cheap device, so I don't want to be surprised if it doesn't work at all :)
Another option is to connect my set top-box hdmi output to VU+ component ports. But I think this can works only if VU+ component acts as input, not as output (e.g. to a TV).
For recordings is there a way where I can download the files in Mac ?
I'm just curious about : What is the LCD on the front of VU+ for ?

AlexWilMac

Don't get thing even messier than they were in the first post! ;)
1) Your Elgato Hybrid is an (old) stick for DVB-T, but do you have a DVB-T tuner built-in your VU+. If so, you don't need another one (taken you don't want to watch and record simultaneously). Which tuners do you have in your VU+?
2) Leave the HDMI thing: you are complicating things even more. If I'm not wrong, no VU+ is able to use HDMI for recording external source and even if it was, what external source you want to record? Surely not Elgato Hybrid which does not have a HDMI output (it does not have any at all, if I'm not wrong). I repeat: the VU+ is the PVR here. It has to record from its tuner (taken that it does not recognise Elgato as a USB tuner: but this up to you to try. Have you?).
3) The recordings, I already told you, are no problem. They are in your VU+ HDD or in some USB sticks connected to your VU+. They are accessible by FTP from your mac but also by iDreamX. Have you tried it?

4) About LCD, in every forum the advice is not to wide the topic and we don't even know what VU+ you own...
Maybe you can open a new thread in the future.. ;)

GPap1981

Vu+ Newbie
Hello and thanks again, I don't own a VU+, I'm planning to purchase one, that's why I have all these questions.
To be more specific, I'm looking Solo 2 and Duo 2. As I understood both these models can stream and record. I have a set top-box which I want to connect to the VU+ but let's forget that scenario.
So I have to connect the LNB (which now is connected to my set top-box) to VU+ (with the smart card into the CAM module) and I can start streaming then to iMac. This setup generates the question : how can I change the channels since only my set top-box can do that ?
Finally, because my TV is not new, can I make the set up from iMac ?
* ( Sorry, I know I have lot of queries but I don't know where to find the answers. I read the manual and I have sent email to VU+ support, as well )

AlexWilMac

Hello and thanks again, I don't own a VU+, I'm planning to purchase one, that's why I have all these questions.
To be more specific, I'm looking Solo 2 and Duo 2. As I understood both these models can stream and record. I have a set top-box which I want to connect to the VU+ but let's forget that scenario.
So I have to connect the LNB (which now is connected to my set top-box) to VU+ (with the smart card into the CAM module) and I can start streaming then to iMac. This setup generates the question : how can I change the channels since only my set top-box can do that ?

Change where, on your Mac? As I wrote, if you prepare a playlist the way I wrote, you can choose (in VLC) whatever channel in the list.
Or you can use iDreamX /OpenwebIf browser interface to choose the channel you want to stream.

Finally, because my TV is not new, can I make the set up from iMac ?

Sorry, this is something I don't understand: what has to do your TV with your Mac?

* ( Sorry, I know I have lot of queries but I don't know where to find the answers. I read the manual and I have sent email to VU+ support, as well )

I know it sounds obvious and somewhat "unsafe" but I suggest to get your box. Afterwards, everything will be more clear. I'm sure you won't be let down by your VU+ ;)

GPap1981

Vu+ Newbie
If I understand correctly from the manual, the set up process can be done only from TV.
( Wondering if is there a way to set up or change settings later, in VU+ from Mac )
VU+ devices intended for TVs as main usage. I'm here only for streaming to computer..
Thanks for suggestion.

AlexWilMac

Let me know if I understood you well (because you must understand that you know your situation but don't take it for granted that it's clear also for us). Are you saying that you don't know if it's possible to connect your future VU+ to your TV in order to set it up and then use to stream?
In this case, even if your TV is not new and it doesn't have any HDMI port, I'm sure it has got the Scart.
So, you only have to buy a VU+ which has got SCART or RCA A/V output and this can be read from technical specifications on the VU+ website.
Duo2 has got it for sure while Solo4K hasn't (these are mines; the others you can find where I said).

GPap1981

Vu+ Newbie
I know my LG TV (model around 2006) has HDMI and SCART also, thus I can establish a connection to TV. What I don't know is two things :
- if specifically my TV can be recognised by VU+ (as understood while it has HDMI and/or SCART it can be)
- second and more serious if I can connect my Satellite LNB output (which now it is connected into Set Top-Box) to VU+. That way, with a CAM Module and a Smart Card my set up will works ( ? )
I'm not sure for that, because from Set Top-Box company they told me that this Smart Card works only with this Set Top-Box and not with others, blah... blah...
And because it is an expensive purchase, I don't want to buy it and then to try for returning it etc.. :)
* If someone could suggest a CAM Module which works with Irdeto 2 in VU+ , please feel free.

GPap1981

Vu+ Newbie
** Also in Duo 2 Manual it says that VU+ Duo 2 is Twin Pluggable Tuner PVR. And if I'm correct I have single LNB with one output.. Confused :wallbash:

AlexWilMac

I know my LG TV (model around 2006) has HDMI and SCART also, thus I can establish a connection to TV. What I don't know is two things :
- if specifically my TV can be recognised by VU+ (as understood while it has HDMI and/or SCART it can be)

OF course! VU+ is not a nuclear submarine and HDMI is a standard and everything works with standard is standard. Otherwise your TV port would not be named HDMI but somewhat differently.

- second and more serious if I can connect my Satellite LNB output (which now it is connected into Set Top-Box) to VU+.

Of course. It's another standard.

That way, with a CAM Module and a Smart Card my set up will works ( ? )

I suppose so but this I cannot know because, as I already wrote, I use a different smartcard (Nagravision). But I think so. This could be matter of another simple thread (Can I use a Irdeto2 smartcard in a VU+?) ;)

I'm not sure for that, because from Set Top-Box company they told me that this Smart Card works only with this Set Top-Box and not with others, blah... blah...

It happens also for Tivusat ones: they say (to avoid responsibility) they can be used only in Tivusat certified STBs, but it's not true. See above.

And because it is an expensive purchase, I don't want to buy it and then to try for returning it etc.. :)
* If someone could suggest a CAM Module which works with Irdeto 2 in VU+ , please feel free.

AlexWilMac

** Also in Duo 2 Manual it says that VU+ Duo 2 is Twin Pluggable Tuner PVR. And if I'm correct I have single LNB with one output.. Confused :wallbash:

Why? If you had a bifuel car and want to use only one kind of fuel where's the problem?
Duo2 offers either single tuner configuration or double or mixed (you can have one for sat and also one for dvb-t and they can be single or double).

GPap1981

Vu+ Newbie
I made a little research and I found there is no need to connect my Satellite cables to VU+ nor even to buy a CAM. What I want is the Ultimo 4K with its HDMI input.
If I connect my Set Top-Box to this input, then I can start streaming to iMac. (I don't know about HDCP what's going on then)
Please correct me if I think wrong.
* I don't have access to Ultimo 4K manual, so if somebody can send me the file, feel free.

AlexWilMac

And even admitting that would be possible to stream what you connect in HDMI input port (something I wouldn't bet on) how would you zap your current STB? Going from your Mac room to your STB each time you need to zap?
For Ultimo4K manual, I'd try to send an email to vuplus, as their website is not the perfection under this aspect.